RG III Topic

Posted by Jtpsops on 1/8/2013 8:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/8/2013 8:31:00 AM (view original):
Coaches coach to keep their jobs.   If they didn't, you'd see a lot more go for it on 4th and 2 at the 40.   Belichick can do **** like that, Romeo Crennel cannot. 

Your argument might actually be somewhat relevant if we weren't talking about Shanahan.

He's far closer to Belichick status than Crennel status.

You're insane Shanahan is a terrible coach.
1/9/2013 10:03 AM
Coaches, QBs, owners and fans have a strange relationship.

Coaches, for the most part, hitch their wagon to "their" QB and they stay with it.    Vick/Reid, Sanchez/Ryan are two good examples.   It was obvious, to everyone, that Vick/Sanchez weren't playing good football.   I think that's what happened to Shanahan.   Griffin is "his guy" and he was going to finish the game unless Griffin said "I can't go."   And you know that wasn't going to happen. 

The fans either love the starter or love the back-up.  Owners want the fans to be happy.   If the coach is not wildly successful, and Shanahan has not been in Wash, they want the owner to be happy.  RG is everybody's favorite.   Until RG laid there like he was dead, that was a one score game.   RG wasn't effective but the fans love him and he's Shanahan's guy.   I'm pretty sure Shanahan thought two things:
1.  We're one play from being tied.
2.  If I pull RG and we lose, I'll be 2nd guessed.

Fans aren't happy, owner isn't happy if Cousins fails.
1/9/2013 10:18 AM

Even with a healthy RG III, I don't think the Skins beat the Hawks in that game anyway....the Skins were lucky as hell it was only a one score game by that time.  The true travesty was that field.....the local high school practice field would have been better to play on.

1/9/2013 10:31 AM

The last time he was healthy, or close to it, in that game, the Redskins were ahead.  I don't know if they win if he doesn't re-tweak the knee on that second scoring drive, but you seem to be suggesting that he was healthy up to the point that he actually left the game.

1/9/2013 10:40 AM

After he tweaked the knee in the first quarter (maybe one drive later, when it was clear that he was INJURED), Shanahan should've pulled him for a series to get checked out, and have Cousins run the team.  At least then Shanahan could claim that he was looking out for RGIII rather than letting him die pulling the sled (Jack London reference)

1/9/2013 10:57 AM
I don't think he was ever healthy in the game, obviously he broke down even further as the game progressed. I'm just saying the Skins aren't anywhere close to as complete of a team as Seattle. As soon as Zach Miller converted that 3rd and twelve you could feel the momentum change. I immediately thought of the 2007 hawks/packers playoff game where the hawks jumped out 14-0. The Hawks are just much better than the Redskins.
1/9/2013 11:30 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/8/2013 8:24:00 PM (view original):
Shanahan's stubborn?

A) Snyder won't fire a coach like Shanahan for one bad decision.

B) Even if he did, I don't think Shanahan's worried about finding a job. He'd have at least 5 teams knocking down his door if he became available. Somehow I doubt Crennel can say the same.
A) When the one bad decision is having your gimpy QB tear knee ligaments, I could see that as a fire-able offense.

B) There wasn't 5 teams that wanted him last time he was available. Shanahan's won 1 playoff game in 14 seasons and again, just allowed his hurt QB to play and eventually tear knee ligaments.
1/9/2013 11:55 AM
Shanahan's been a head coach for almost 20 years and has 2 superbowl wins. But ya - guys like that are a dime a dozen.

Winning 1 playoff game in 14 seasons doesn't say much without context. He often made the playoffs with terrible defenses in Denver as a WC and lost to better teams. Do I think he's a Top 5 coach in the NFL right now? No, not at all. But to compare him to Romeo Crennel is just assinine.
1/9/2013 1:05 PM
FWIW, Mike has also been telling us for the past two seasons how ****** Fox is. Now he's taken a team everyone picked to finished last in the AFC to a playoff birth and a victory, and this year the franchise is completely revamped and 1st in the conference when everyone thought they'd struggle to win 8 games. Mike will tell us that it was all Manning, even though he bashed the Manning signing too, but Denver's defense was #2 in the NFL this season. Fox has put his stamp on that team and he's done it well.
1/9/2013 1:07 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/9/2013 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Shanahan's been a head coach for almost 20 years and has 2 superbowl wins. But ya - guys like that are a dime a dozen.

Winning 1 playoff game in 14 seasons doesn't say much without context. He often made the playoffs with terrible defenses in Denver as a WC and lost to better teams. Do I think he's a Top 5 coach in the NFL right now? No, not at all. But to compare him to Romeo Crennel is just assinine.
So you're blaming Shanahan the GM for Shanahan the coach's failures?  Nice.
1/9/2013 1:13 PM
Well, we're talking about his coaching abilities, are we not? I don't think I said anywhere he was a great GM
1/9/2013 1:16 PM
And no, he's not Crennel, but his phone isn't going to start ringing off the hook if he loses this job either.
1/9/2013 1:16 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/9/2013 1:16:00 PM (view original):
Well, we're talking about his coaching abilities, are we not? I don't think I said anywhere he was a great GM
Since he's been both going back forever, it's kind of hard to seperate the two in the evaluation.
1/9/2013 1:18 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 1/9/2013 1:16:00 PM (view original):
And no, he's not Crennel, but his phone isn't going to start ringing off the hook if he loses this job either.
I guarantee you if he was fired today, at very least, the Chargers, Eagles, Browns and Cardinals would have strong interest.
1/9/2013 1:21 PM
Doughtful...he won two(tainted with cheating) Super Bowls with two of the all time best players at their positions lining up for him. Jack **** after that. He's also a liar and a piece if **** douchebag outside the game to boot. He sucks.
1/9/2013 1:29 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
RG III Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.