Patriots 9.5 points favorites over Ravens Topic

Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino
2/14/2013 3:19 PM
ESPN loooooooovvvvvvvvvvved Dan Marino.  LOOK AT THAT ARM!  LOOK AT THAT QUICK RELEASE!

Look at him sitting at home during the Super Bowl.
2/14/2013 3:20 PM
ESPN loves Dilfer more, obviously.  He works for them.

Dilfer > Marino
2/14/2013 3:21 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/14/2013 3:19:00 PM (view original):
Trent Dilfer > Dan Marino
ISWYDT

No, but Kurt Warner was > Dan Marino.  At least he got to three Super Bowls.
2/14/2013 3:23 PM

Honestly, I don't hate Marino.  I just don't understand the slavish adulation for a guy that never won ANYTHING.

Hell, at least Brady has won a few times.

2/14/2013 3:26 PM
If you want to argue that, I would understand (but disagree). Warner will be a HOFer.  His legacy is hurt somewhat because he was very inconsistent year to year, but one could argue that there were elements beyond his control that hurt him.  He's also better than Kelly.

EDIT: I remember being very upset, as a Giants fan, that the Giants basically pulled the plug on their season when they subbed Warner for Eli.  Giants were in playoff race, and all went to ****.
2/14/2013 3:33 PM (edited)
Posted by toddcommish on 2/14/2013 3:26:00 PM (view original):

Honestly, I don't hate Marino.  I just don't understand the slavish adulation for a guy that never won ANYTHING.

Hell, at least Brady has won a few times.

I'll also say this - any team that asks their QB to throw the ball upwards 75% of the time in playoff games will be hurt somewhat.  Playoff defenses, when they aren't looking for the run, can do a better job of stopping the pass.
2/14/2013 3:32 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/14/2013 1:44:00 PM (view original):
Sez the dipshit who has argued with biz for 50 pages.  
I mostly laughed at him.
2/14/2013 4:40 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/14/2013 3:09:00 PM (view original):

The job of an NFL quarterback is to either put your team in position to win, or NOT do things to cause them to lose.  In the biggest games (postseason), Marino FAILED almost every time.  He piled up stats against the weak sisters but couldn't elevate his game during the playoffs.  That's NOT a "much better quarterback".  That's Karl Malone.

Isn't Karl Malone a first ballot hall of famer?
2/14/2013 8:02 PM
Yep, so is Dan Marino.  He's one of the top 10-15 QBs of all time.
2/14/2013 9:33 PM
Posted by cobra on 2/14/2013 8:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 2/14/2013 3:09:00 PM (view original):

The job of an NFL quarterback is to either put your team in position to win, or NOT do things to cause them to lose.  In the biggest games (postseason), Marino FAILED almost every time.  He piled up stats against the weak sisters but couldn't elevate his game during the playoffs.  That's NOT a "much better quarterback".  That's Karl Malone.

Isn't Karl Malone a first ballot hall of famer?
Marino did what he was asked to do and did it effectively. You can't blame a guy for not having a team around him, or for playing in a pass-heavy scheme, etc. That's like saying "Adrian Peterson didn't have that great of a season this year - it's just because they didn't have a QB and he got to run a lot".

You play with what you're given. Does Marino rank up with the guys who won championships? I wouldn't freak out of anyone said no. But to deny he was a great QB is foolish.
2/14/2013 9:48 PM
I think a lot of people are also measuring Marino against the modern NFL, where few passing numbers are special anymore. But he was the exception throughout most of his career, not the norm.

Anytime someone accomplishes something or piles up numbers few-to-no people have before, he's a special player.
2/14/2013 9:51 PM
This is borderline retarded.   I don't like Marino.  I always thought he was an arrogant douche.   However, how many of these guys are better than Marino?

Super Bowl XVIII - Jim Plunkett, Los Angeles Raiders
Super Bowl XIX - Joe Montana, San Francisco
Super Bowl XX - Jim McMahon, Chicago
Super Bowl XXI - Phil Simms, New York Giants
Super Bowl XXII - Doug Williams, Washington
Super Bowl XXIII - Joe Montana, San Francisco
Super Bowl XXIV - Joe Montana, San Francisco
Super Bowl XXV - Jeff Hostetler and Phil Simms, New York Giants**
Super Bowl XXVI - Mark Rypien, Washington
Super Bowl XXVII - Troy Aikman, Dallas
Super Bowl XXVIII - Troy Aikman, Dallas
Super Bowl XXIX - Steve Young, San Francisco
Super Bowl XXX - Troy Aikman, Dallas
Super Bowl XXXI - Bret Favre, Green Bay
Super Bowl XXXII - John Elway, Denver
Super Bowl XXXIII - John Elway, Denver
Super Bowl XXXIV - Kurt Warner, St. Louis 

2/14/2013 10:28 PM
I'm going to say definitely definitely two...Montana and Favre.  Steve Young was better but doesn't have the body of work, really due to situations out of his control.  Elway is as good....he's probably better, but my hatred for him skews anything he did.  Kurt Warner is close....man that guy had some huge games.
2/14/2013 10:33 PM
Elways was better than Marino.  Or really anyone else I've seen, I think...  Maybe not Peyton Manning at his peak, but it's really hard to compare...
2/14/2013 10:38 PM
◂ Prev 1...50|51|52|53|54...85 Next ▸
Patriots 9.5 points favorites over Ravens Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.