Former NFL player comes out Topic

I don't see it happening anytime soon.  It's doubtful that someone would be so sure to think that all his teammates would be ok with that.  It would create quite a media stir, he'd have a ton of attention on him, it would be uncomfortable for him, and a distraction for the team I think.  It's unfortunate.  
1/29/2013 1:46 PM
IT WILL BE A RAIDER
1/29/2013 1:55 PM
I think you can look at Tebow and get a good idea of what a gay player would face - it would be extremely polarizing. People would be at one extreme or the other.
1/29/2013 2:02 PM
Manti Te'o
1/29/2013 2:40 PM
Current player:

1/29/2013 2:43 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 1/29/2013 2:02:00 PM (view original):
I think you can look at Tebow and get a good idea of what a gay player would face - it would be extremely polarizing. People would be at one extreme or the other.
Good analogy.  I agree.

In fact, thinking about it more, I think it has much less to do with what his teammates think, and much more about the distraction it would create for himself and his team.
1/29/2013 2:45 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/29/2013 2:43:00 PM (view original):
Current player:

And in baseball:

1/29/2013 2:46 PM
I think the Tebow situation wouldn't compare to a gay player.     The problems Tebow has faced has largely been because of his skillset and the media coverage.   If Tebow was nothing more than a 4th year back-up QB in Denver, you wouldn't know he exists.   He had good run with a coach/GM that didn't want him.   He was traded to the biggest media market in the country.   It's much less about his religious views, there have been plenty of holy rollers in the NFL, and more about the publicity.    It's jealousy.

No one would be jealous of the gay guy.   You'd have the faction in the locker room, like an Antonio Cromartie, who'd swear he was constantly looking at dude's dicks.   Because, as we know, gay guys think about dick all day and would willingly suck any of them.   Then you'd have the guys who'd agree with Cromartie but wouldn't say anything but "He's a good teammate."   Then you'd have guys who think Cromartie is a goddam nutjob and wouldn't say anything but "He's a good teammate" because they think he is.  Finally, you'd have the guy like Kluwe who'd go out of their way to "support" him.   And it would be a media circus because everyone would want the story.
1/29/2013 3:02 PM
3rd string QB for Niners comes out and says that he wouldn't accept a gay player in the locker room.  

We're probably not ready for this, unfortunately.  
1/31/2013 9:43 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 1/31/2013 9:43:00 AM (view original):
3rd string QB for Niners comes out and says that he wouldn't accept a gay player in the locker room.  

2nd String CB... but still the same point.
1/31/2013 10:09 AM
Yea I guess I misheard "cornerback"
1/31/2013 10:12 AM
I really don't care either way what people's sexual preference is. Frankly, it's none of my business, and I'd rather not know.

In fact, I wish everyone who keeps making their sexual preferences public would just stop doing it. It shouldn't matter anyway, so let's not make it a bigger deal than it is.

2/1/2013 10:16 AM

Probably a relative of Cromartie.   But, yeah, that's 1 of the 4 types I mentioned. 
2/1/2013 10:28 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/1/2013 10:28:00 AM (view original):

Probably a relative of Cromartie.   But, yeah, that's 1 of the 4 types I mentioned. 
Yea I think most of his teammates would fall into the 3rd type you mentioned (don't care, don't say anything).  Some in the 2nd (don't like it, but don't say anything).  If the locker room was filled with 2nd and 3rds, I think they'd be ok.  But there's going to be some of the Cromarties, and that's where the problem is.

And of course, the media hoopla.
2/1/2013 10:34 AM
12 Next ▸
Former NFL player comes out Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.