Makes me sick... Topic

Posted by toddcommish on 2/4/2013 12:33:00 PM (view original):

In the spirit of full disclosure, 49er fan since 1970 here:

I'm not as angry about the non-call as many are.  I'm more ****** off by the ****** clock management and playcalling once the 49ers got to the 7-yard line.  Two minutes, four downs, and seven yards...  and they come up with the shittiest, stupidest play calls and execution of the year. 

Given the way the Ravens were clogging the middle, why not a SWEEP or the ******* read-option that had been successful for the last twenty minutes?  How about an indefensible slant pass?  They scored a touchdown on a misdirection sweep to the weak side... WTF happened to that?

Wasting TWO timeouts also cost them the game.  They could've had the ball back with 40 seconds left, needing a (gulp!) Akers field goal to tie.  But the playcalls (or Kaep) were slow in the huddle.  His inexperience showed up at the worst possible time.  You can put a great athlete on the field to do great athletic things, but he's gotta also be SMART when it counts.

This is the correct answer.
2/4/2013 12:52 PM
For the most part, I agree.
2/4/2013 1:46 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/4/2013 12:35:00 PM (view original):
The ref that ignored the ticky-tack holding call was also the one who called the PI on Culliver when he and Torrey Smith were pretty much doing the same thing on the other side.   I'd prefer that neither call be made, handfighting and jostling is part of the game.
I think this is the key. I get the whole "let 'em play" thing, but you have to be consistent. You can't call it one minute and let it go the next.
2/4/2013 1:55 PM
Yes, and the holding call was obvious while the call with Smith was questionable.
2/4/2013 1:58 PM

I'm not as angry about the non-call as many are.  I'm more ****** off by the ****** clock management and playcalling once the 49ers got to the 7-yard line.  Two minutes, four downs, and seven yards...  and they come up with the shittiest, stupidest play calls and execution of the year. 

Given the way the Ravens were clogging the middle, why not a SWEEP or the ******* read-option that had been successful for the last twenty minutes?  How about an indefensible slant pass?  They scored a touchdown on a misdirection sweep to the weak side... WTF happened to that?

Wasting TWO timeouts also cost them the game.  They could've had the ball back with 40 seconds left, needing a (gulp!) Akers field goal to tie.  But the playcalls (or Kaep) were slow in the huddle.  His inexperience showed up at the worst possible time.  You can put a great athlete on the field to do great athletic things, but he's gotta also be SMART when it counts.

If there was 40 seconds left, Baltimore doesn't take a safety and punts it away.  They took the safety because there was 11 seconds left and they could eat most of that by having Koch run around in the end zone.  Also, at that point a kick return was about the only thing San Fran had, and that would have beaten Baltimore anyway and Baltimore was in a much better position to defend that by doing a free kick from the 20 rather than punting from their own end zone.

Thus, more time and San Fran would have needed the TD.  Now granted that probably would have been better for them in the end, but it would not have come down to Akers.
2/4/2013 2:04 PM
Posted by 05nomar05 on 2/4/2013 11:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/4/2013 11:22:00 AM (view original):
I don't think discussing the calls is worthwhile.

Is there anyone who thinks SF played the better game?

Kaepernick looked like what he is.   Very talented with all the tools but inexperienced.   Stunning to me was their constant snaps with 2-3 seconds left on the play clock.   I felt Baltimore was getting a jump all night.   So either his cadence was constantly the same or Baltimore knew they were snapping at the same time on the clock every play.
Ravens were the better team.

The late hike of the ball seems to be Kaps M.O.  He was real bad in the NFC conference title game too.
This is correct. 
2/4/2013 2:05 PM
Save for a 5 minute period in the 3rd quarter, Baltimore won the battle all day.
2/4/2013 2:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/4/2013 2:06:00 PM (view original):
Save for a 5 minute period in the 3rd quarter, Baltimore won the battle all day.
Well, that's like saying "Except for the whole thing with the atomic bomb, Japan won World War II"
2/4/2013 2:10 PM
Posted by moranis on 2/4/2013 2:06:00 PM (view original):

If there was 40 seconds left, Baltimore doesn't take a safety and punts it away.  They took the safety because there was 11 seconds left and they could eat most of that by having Koch run around in the end zone.  Also, at that point a kick return was about the only thing San Fran had, and that would have beaten Baltimore anyway and Baltimore was in a much better position to defend that by doing a free kick from the 20 rather than punting from their own end zone.

Thus, more time and San Fran would have needed the TD.  Now granted that probably would have been better for them in the end, but it would not have come down to Akers.
Still, I'd rather have the ball on our own 40 needing a touchdown to win with 40 seconds to go.  Fact is, THEIR CLOCK MANAGEMENT ******* SUCKS.
2/4/2013 2:12 PM
Not really.    Do you think SF was the better team yesterday?
2/4/2013 2:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/4/2013 2:12:00 PM (view original):
Not really.    Do you think SF was the better team yesterday?

More rushing yards, more passing yards...  The major anomaly in this game was a record-setting kickoff return.  I'd say the 49ers won the offensive/defensive battle and lost the special teams battle (and the coaching battle).

2/4/2013 2:14 PM
Posted by bistiza on 2/4/2013 11:42:00 AM (view original):
The Ravens were the better team for the first half. The 49ers were far superior in the second half.

If 49ers special teams don't screw up and let Jones return the kick for a TD, they're probably taking a knee to seal it instead of losing on a botched non-call by the refs.

No playing the if game... otherwise you can just as easily go the other way and say if Ray Rice doesnt fumble the ball the Ravens win by 3 scores... see what I did there.
2/4/2013 2:15 PM
Posted by bistiza on 2/4/2013 10:07:00 AM (view original):
For the second time, please remember that a call of defensive holding does not require the ball to be catchable or even thrown in the direction of that receiver. The area holding is allowed is five yards, but he's clearly held beyond that.
I would like to point out that the ball was in the air so its either PI offense, PI defense or no call. Once the ball is thrown you cannot call holding on the DB.
2/4/2013 2:23 PM
I would like to point out the holding was going on the whole time and the instant they cross five yards its a penalty, which should have been called.
2/4/2013 2:28 PM
Wrong, he can hit and chuck him all he wants in the 5 yards, and the ball was out before they hit 5 yards. SO its either PI or no call.

Mike Pereira agrees: About half way through the article he points out how it could not have been called a hold

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-pereira-super-bowl-xlvii-calls-no-holding-on-crucial-play-020313

2/4/2013 2:33 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.