Makes me sick... Topic

The content of your posts say one thing, your subsequent explanations of your posts say another.

You want to portray the content of my posts as something it isn't. Then when I call you out on your BS, you give me this, which is just more of the same BS.

Stop trying to twist what I say into something it isn't.
Virtually every person who you've engaged in "discussion" on these boards have come to the same independent conclusion about you.

Now you're making a broad generalization based upon an incredibly small sample of people who don't even represent what you think they represent, and it is not an "independent" conclusion by any means.

I've had a vast array of discussions with many people here. The only ones who come to your "same independent conclusion" are the ones who disagree with me and get frustrated when they can't bully me into giving up or agreeing with them.

Frustration over arguing with me is the only logical reason anyone has on this board to dislike me or think less of me in any way, and to tell the truth the frustration is not even a logical reason but one of emotion, but any other "reason" is far less logical by comparison.
I wouldn't want my kids being taught creationism as an alternative to evolution in school.  I'd have a huge problem with that.

So you'd have a huge problem with kids being taught non-mainstream but still supported theories? You'd have a problem with letting the kids decide for themselves by using critical thinking skills (assuming we're talking about when they are old enough to do so properly)?
Seeing that the taxes that I pay are funding my town's educational system, I would prefer that I wouldn't have to debrief my child every day to see what they were taught, and then have to spend a couple of hours "reprogramming" them.

Sometimes your children will learn things (gasp, yes, even in school) that you don't necessarily agree with. Taking an interest in your child's education and teaching them what you DO believe is part of being a good parent.

Sure, you'd prefer not to have to spend any time telling your children why what they learned at school isn't what you personally thing is right or best, but it's going to happen some of the time. Being a taxpayer doesn't give you the right to demand the school teach exactly in the manner you see fit. In fact, I would suggest if you do not like how the school is teaching things, put your kids in a private school instead, where you get to choose what school they go to.
It's hilarious that you all act as if you'd change your beliefs in a heartbeat if "science" suddenly suggested you were wrong. You'd disregard and go find some other "science" to support what you believe
Agreed 100 percent.

There is no way in this world bad_luck and other atheists would accept it even if every single scientist in the world suddenly said there is indisputable scientific evidence that a supreme being created the universe. They would HAVE to find someone and something, somewhere to support their non-belief.
This isn't some belief that I'm in any way emotionally invested in.
COMPLETE BS.

You stated before you are an atheist, so you have EVERY REASON to be emotionally invested in any sort of debate involving creationism and evolution.

By the way, you're still blocked.  This post was quoted by someone else and I just wanted to call you out on your BS. Please, people, let's limit the quoting of bad_luck unless you think it's absolutely necessary so I don't have to read his garbage.

Arguing on this message board isn't closing the gap between Chinese/American students.
The major reason for the "gap" is because in America we allow all students to continue to go to school and have a chance to graduate. Sometimes we even PUSH them through grade after grade when they don't deserve to pass - the unfortunate side effect of the "no child left behind" act.

Meanwhile, in China if students don't meet certain standards by a certain point in their education, they aren't allowed to continue and are basically shipped out to work in the fields the rest of their lives.

So the entire group of American students - including the special ed kids, the lazy kids, the kids who only want to socialize, etc. - is effectively competing with only the subset of Chinese kids who are smart and work hard enough to do well.

You're putting the best of the Chinese against all of the Americans, and as a result, IT'S NOT A FAIR COMPARISON.
The universe (in some form or another) certainly could have always been here.
Most theories don't believe this to be true. There isn't anything we know of that is outside of time (except perhaps a creator), and there is no evidence to suggest the universe itself is somehow infinite in terms of time.
After all I assume you believe that this divine creator has always been there.  That really isn't any different than just assuming that the universe has always been here (in some form or another).
Yes, there is.

A divine being can be outside of the parameters of space and time, while the universe obviously exists in space and time.

When you are teaching religion, teach religion. Creationism is religion.
You ascribe it as being religion, but it can be taught as science.

All you need to do is teach the scientific evidence for and against each theory, including creationism, and you do not need to reference the religious aspects at all.
2/6/2013 1:40 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:39:00 PM (view original):
OK, I got bored with this faster than I thought.

I've stated my position pretty clearly.   If someone is too dumb to figure out what "I don't think the world is 10k old" means, I can't really help them.

Anyway, I start posting the "SCIENCE!!!!" pic because a few individuals believe saying "Science says...." proves their point.   It doesn't.   Faith-based opinions are just as valid, even if I'm not on board with them, and can't just be dismissed with "Science has proven....."

Have fun arguing with yourselves over a subject that has no right/wrong answer and, of which, you'll change no one's opinion.
"Faith-based opinions are just as valid"

They are valid in religious discussions. Not arguments over the age of the earth.
2/6/2013 1:44 PM
Methinks someone doesn't understand "faith".     But I'll let a religious person argue with him.
2/6/2013 1:46 PM
So you'd have a huge problem with kids being taught non-mainstream but still supported theories?

Supported by what? There isn't any evidence of a young earth.
2/6/2013 1:46 PM
OK, I have to ask.    I often go out of my way to be an *******.   Please confirm that you do the same.
2/6/2013 1:47 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:46:00 PM (view original):
Methinks someone doesn't understand "faith".     But I'll let a religious person argue with him.
No, I'm thinking you don't understand science.
2/6/2013 1:48 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/6/2013 1:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 1:46:00 PM (view original):
No, I'm thinking you don't understand science.
Of course I don't.   Isn't it obvious?   Anyone who doesn't accept your "Science!!!!"-based opinions are obviously just bumpkins.

I thought this was understood.
2/6/2013 1:49 PM
Well, ok. I mean, I agree and all, but this isn't that difficult. There's scientific evidence for some things and exactly zero evidence for other things. Which things should be taught in science class?
2/6/2013 1:54 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/6/2013 12:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/6/2013 12:49:00 PM (view original):
Sometimes it's better to wait for what comes along.

Is there some reason an 8 y/o NEEDS to be taught evolution?
Do you have kids?

My six year old asks questions all the time about dinosaurs, cavemen, planets, etc., etc. Kids are interested in this stuff. We should teach them science in science class. If you want them to learn religion, send them to religion class.

Creationism isn't science until there is evidence of creation. It needs to stay out of science class regardless of the age of the students.

I don't know what you people aren't getting - this all goes back to my original point in this argument. You feel your superior to me because you believe in evolution and I don't.

Tec talks about how he pays taxes, so his kids should be taught what he wants/accepts as truth - and yet creationists who pay taxes and send their kids to public school should have no say in the curriculum?

I'd be all for elementary schools having a "science" class and a "religion" class, but you and I both know that will never happen. We can't actually expose our kids to competing viewpoints.

What's really hypocritical is if a Christian comes out and says "I don't want my kids learning about homosexuality in school/health class, etc." they're basically called bigots and told to STFU. "Our kids have to be exposed to other lifestyles because homosexuality is a part of life." Well then...Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Catholicism, etc. are a big part of life - why are our kids not taught about them in school?

It's a huge double-standard and complete BS on every level.

2/6/2013 1:58 PM
This is precious. MikeT23 is apparently arguing with bad_luck, over science of all things.

I'm so tempted to unblock bad_luck so I can watch, because I'm sure it will be like seeing two low-IQ individuals running at each other as if they are rams.

2/6/2013 1:58 PM
"When you are teaching science, teach science. Evolution is science. When you are teaching religion, teach religion. Creationism is religion."

Horsesh*t. Evolution is a belief system that relies on science for support. Evolution does not = science. Science supports elements of religion as much as it supports other concepts.
2/6/2013 2:00 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 1:58:00 PM (view original):

Do you have kids?

My six year old asks questions all the time about dinosaurs, cavemen, planets, etc., etc. Kids are interested in this stuff. We should teach them science in science class. If you want them to learn religion, send them to religion class.

Creationism isn't science until there is evidence of creation. It needs to stay out of science class regardless of the age of the students.

I don't know what you people aren't getting - this all goes back to my original point in this argument. You feel your superior to me because you believe in evolution and I don't.

Tec talks about how he pays taxes, so his kids should be taught what he wants/accepts as truth - and yet creationists who pay taxes and send their kids to public school should have no say in the curriculum?

I'd be all for elementary schools having a "science" class and a "religion" class, but you and I both know that will never happen. We can't actually expose our kids to competing viewpoints.

What's really hypocritical is if a Christian comes out and says "I don't want my kids learning about homosexuality in school/health class, etc." they're basically called bigots and told to STFU. "Our kids have to be exposed to other lifestyles because homosexuality is a part of life." Well then...Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Catholicism, etc. are a big part of life - why are our kids not taught about them in school?

Jtpsops makes a LOT of great points here that I'm sure will get lost amid the miasma of ignorance that permeates this board.

The double standards are quite numerous and are perpetuated because those who put them forth somehow don't realize its a double standard (or do and choose to deliberately not recognize it).

2/6/2013 2:00 PM
Posted by bistiza on 2/6/2013 1:58:00 PM (view original):
This is precious. MikeT23 is apparently arguing with bad_luck, over science of all things.

I'm so tempted to unblock bad_luck so I can watch, because I'm sure it will be like seeing two low-IQ individuals running at each other as if they are rams.

Hey genius, you directly quoted me here.

No one else had quoted that post, so you either aren't blocking me or you're reading my posts anyway.
2/6/2013 2:01 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 1:58:00 PM (view original):

Do you have kids?

What religion should we teach in public school religion class?

2/6/2013 2:02 PM
All of them.

Parents of secular kids are afraid that the minds of their children will be poisoned and lost forever if we expose them to competing viewpoints. God forbid we expose them to the way other people think and live, and then actually have to sit down and discuss it with them. Kids may have wild imaginations, but they are capable of rational thought. Parents can discuss with a 6 year old what they learned and if/why they agree/don't agree with it.

The parents who are actually invested in their children, and aren't relying on the schools to raise and indoctrinate them, can handle this.
2/6/2013 2:04 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.