Makes me sick... Topic

Posted by edsortails on 2/6/2013 3:28:00 PM (view original):
well, sure I do....but its really just regurgitation of something somebody else said, so I guess maybe I don't.......but my opinion on this matter is so strong, you are going to have a hard time accepting that
Doesn't that describe all of history?

Does anybody alive today have real proof that the French Revolution took place?  What about the U.S. Civil War?  How do we know that George Washington really was a general in the American Revolution, and that he was our countries first President?

Maybe my ancestors did not come over from Ireland on ships in the late 1800's.  Maybe my fair skinned ancestors with all those Irish names were really indigenous to North America. 

Gosh, I just don't know what to believe anymore.  Maybe everything I've been taught has been a lie, some sort of grand conspiracy to trick me for some sort of insidious reason.
2/6/2013 3:55 PM
You're confusing theory with fact.
2/6/2013 3:57 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 3:55:00 PM (view original):
Put it this way - what is mans reference point for a 30 million year old rock or fossil? Carbon dating is a man made procedure. Since no man was around 30 million years ago, what do they have to base their findings against? Maybe what they think is a 30 million year old rock is actually a 10,000 year old rock. They'd never know the difference. Everything needs a reference point. Man looks at a rock and using science makes his BEST GUESS as to how old it is. Why? Because he doesn't have a 30 million year old rock in his back pocket to whip out and compare it to
We've learned the rate of what certain isotopes decay at.  I'm assuming you understand the theory, I don't think we have to go into that, right?  I also assume you disagree with their findings.
2/6/2013 4:09 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 3:57:00 PM (view original):
Am I?

How do we know that anything about the "history" we were taught in school?  Isn't it all just stories that have been handed down over time?  How do we know they're true?
2/6/2013 5:33 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 2/6/2013 5:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 3:57:00 PM (view original):
Am I?

How do we know that anything about the "history" we were taught in school?  Isn't it all just stories that have been handed down over time?  How do we know they're true?
Yep pretty much anything before the advent of video can't be verified. Thus it can't truly be fact if you follow his line of reasoning.
2/6/2013 6:13 PM
You're right - it can't. So we all look at the evidence and accounts presented to us and decide what makes the most sense to us. I bet everyone has some area where their opinion differs from the masses and would get them labeled "dumb as ****".

You'll notice I haven't once in this thread insulted anyone or presented my evidence as fact. You'll say "that's because it's not"...and you're right. But neither is yours. That's the basis of my entire argument. NO ONE knows anything with any certainty. If the popular opinion and "scientific consensus" makes sense to you as truth, great - more power to you. But don't think for a second I'm a crackpot because I disagree.
2/6/2013 6:39 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 6:39:00 PM (view original):
You're right - it can't. So we all look at the evidence and accounts presented to us and decide what makes the most sense to us. I bet everyone has some area where their opinion differs from the masses and would get them labeled "dumb as ****".

You'll notice I haven't once in this thread insulted anyone or presented my evidence as fact. You'll say "that's because it's not"...and you're right. But neither is yours. That's the basis of my entire argument. NO ONE knows anything with any certainty. If the popular opinion and "scientific consensus" makes sense to you as truth, great - more power to you. But don't think for a second I'm a crackpot because I disagree.
"You'll notice I haven't once in this thread insulted anyone or presented my evidence as fact. You'll say "that's because it's not"...and you're right. But neither is yours"

And that's where you're wrong, the evidence for an old earth is real and it's a fact. We know the decay rates. Rocks have been found that are billions of years old, dinosaur bones have been found that are over 200 million years old.

And there is zero evidence that the world is 10,000 years old. None. At. All.

2/6/2013 6:47 PM
THEY HID THE TRUTH ABOUT PLUTO!!!!!!!!!!!

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!
2/6/2013 6:52 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/6/2013 6:48:00 PM (view original):

"You'll notice I haven't once in this thread insulted anyone or presented my evidence as fact. You'll say "that's because it's not"...and you're right. But neither is yours"

And that's where you're wrong, the evidence for an old earth is real and it's a fact. We know the decay rates. Rocks have been found that are billions of years old, dinosaur bones have been found that are over 200 million years old.

Here's where you keep creating problems for yourself with respect to this discussion.

"the evidence for an old earth is real and it's a fact"

The preponderance of credible scientific evidence points to an old earth.  But it is not a fact.  You need to stop saying that.

"Rocks have been found that are billions of years old,"

No.  Rocks have been found that modern and credible scientific dating methods indicate are billions of years old.

"dinosaur bones have been found that are over 200 million years old."

Ditto.

You're looking more and more like swamp when you keep painting your arguments as indisputable absolutes.

2/6/2013 6:56 PM

You mean none that you'll accept. There's a difference
2/6/2013 6:56 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/6/2013 6:56:00 PM (view original):

You mean none that you'll accept. There's a difference
Why don't you try presenting it?  The only thing I recall you offering as "evidence" was your belief in the Bible.
2/6/2013 6:59 PM
I could find some links for you, but I'm honestly not going to waste the effort. Make of that what you will. You guys can talk all you want, but I know any evidence presented for Creationism will immediately be written off or trashed.
2/6/2013 7:17 PM
Try us.
2/6/2013 7:30 PM
You've spent all this time arguing about something. Take ten minutes and give a couple pieces of evidence for a young earth.
2/6/2013 7:31 PM
It's all good. I'm comfortable in my "truth". I don't need to prove it to others. As I've said many times in here - I'm not here to sway you to creationism. As tec posted on this page, I'm trying to get it through your head that your beliefs are not indisputable fact. They're your BELIEFS based on the evidence presented to you. Nothing more, nothing less.
2/6/2013 7:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...20|21|22|23|24...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.