Makes me sick... Topic

I don't think it's ridiculous to believe in god. I don't, but most people I know do. I think it's ridiculous to believe that god created the universe 10,000 years ago in 6 literal days and plopped Adam and Eve down as is.
2/7/2013 1:11 PM
Posted by examinerebb on 2/7/2013 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Creationist:  I believe in God.

Scientist:  Seriously?  That's ridiculous.  It's a fable created to make up for a gap in human understanding.  I only believe in things that can be proven.

Creationist:  Okay, explain dark matter to me.

Scientist:  It's this stuff that makes up the vast majority of the universe.  I mean, I think it does.  I'm not really sure what it's made of of, or what relation it has to other matter.  Or if I'd be able to identify it if I saw it.  I can't tell you its properties, how it is created, whether what we have exists from the creation of the universe or if there is some mechanism that continues to process it, but we have no other explanation that fits in with everything else we think we know, so its existence must be real.

Creationist:  So it's a fable created to make up for a gap in human understanding?

Scientist:  No, it's science!
HA!  I said this a couple of days ago but used a lot less words.   Something to the effect of:

"I can't fully explain it nor could I actually prove it but it's what I've been taught all my life."
2/7/2013 1:13 PM
Posted by bistiza on 2/7/2013 1:09:00 PM (view original):
bad_luck loves to toss around words like "science" and "evidence" because he thinks they make him sound intelligent. Too bad everything else he says reveals he isn't intelligent at all.

Someone on these forums said something once about insults and how when you insult someone you are giving up and admitting defeat and are really just frustrated that you can't beat them and are totally inferior to them and that you completely lose by default once you start insulting.
2/7/2013 1:13 PM
I wonder who that was.
2/7/2013 1:14 PM
Actually, science is currently trying to prove/disprove dark matter.  It isn't presented as "fact" because it is still unproven.

It's like a theory of multiple dimensions.  It can't be proven or disproven, but would help solve a myriad of other theories.
2/7/2013 1:15 PM
Do you go out of your way to be an *******?

And tell bistica to stop lifting the words I use to make fun of you.
2/7/2013 1:15 PM
"God" in many ways is like "string theory".  Just another unproven hypothesis that would answer a whole shitload of otherwise unanswerable questions. 
2/7/2013 1:17 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/7/2013 1:17:00 PM (view original):
"God" in many ways is like "string theory".  Just another unproven hypothesis that would answer a whole shitload of otherwise unanswerable questions. 
The funny thing is, science isn't anti-god. Proving god scientifically would be an amazing discovery. But many religious people are actively anti-science when they shouldn't be threatened at all.
2/7/2013 1:19 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/7/2013 1:19:00 PM (view original):
The funny thing is, science isn't anti-god. Proving god scientifically would be an amazing discovery. But many religious people are actively anti-science when they shouldn't be threatened at all.
I used to work with a physicist that said that "God" was essentially the physical laws that dictate the universe.  If you stop anthropomorphizing God as some old white dude with a white beard, you realize that God doesn't have to be a BEING.
2/7/2013 1:22 PM
Could you provide some evidence of this utterly retarded statement?

"But many religious people are actively anti-science"
2/7/2013 1:34 PM
Oh, and while you're at it, do you go out of your way to be an *******?
2/7/2013 1:34 PM
And tell bistica to stop lifting the words I use to make fun of you.

All I do is point out bad_luck's failings on this board, which are numerous and continuous. I do this because he went out of his way to attack me and I thought I'd show him how he bit off WAY more than he could chew.

If you want to join me in pointing out bad_luck's failings,  you'll just have to risk the high probability some of the failings we point out will be the same.

By the way, bad_luck, perhaps you should answer MikeT23's question.
2/7/2013 1:44 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/7/2013 1:34:00 PM (view original):
Could you provide some evidence of this utterly retarded statement?

"But many religious people are actively anti-science"
Ya, that caught me off-guard myself. It seems more science people are threatened by religion than the other way around.

I love science - if it was proven the world was 4.5 billion years old, would that hurt my faith or "kill" my religious beliefs? Not at all. Obviously I'd have to re-evaluate my views on the age of the earth, but it wouldn't have any affect on my Christian beliefs.

On the other hand, if it was proven God existed, or that the earth was young, then it would destroy the life's work of a lot of people and make them re-evaluate their entire life view - which explains why religion is so threatening to people like bad_luck.
2/7/2013 1:57 PM
Don't agree with me.  It makes me question myself.   You're retarded in your own right.  

I just get annoyed with the science ******** because, well, they're science ******** and seemingly have to **** on religious people/beliefs.
2/7/2013 1:59 PM
On the other hand, if it was proven God existed, or that the earth was young, then it would destroy the life's work of a lot of people and make them re-evaluate their entire life view - which explains why religion is so threatening to people like bad_luck.

You are 100 percent correct on this.

People with religious beliefs and some intelligence understand they have nothing to fear from science, but those who attempt to use science to support anti-religion agendas absolutely feel threatened by religion because if anything the religions say is proven true in any way it threatens their non-belief.
2/7/2013 2:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...24|25|26|27|28...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.