Makes me sick... Topic

Here's the thing:

I seldom see/hear Bible-thumpers going "Bah, science!"
Yet, ******* constantly, I see/hear athiests going "SHOW ME PROOF OF YOUR SO-CALLED GOD!!!!"

In this particular case, my good buddy badluck has repeated, over and over, "evidence" and "science" like he's some college professor berating a 6 year old for saying a brief prayer before eating his Happy Meal at McDonalds.   Hence, the science *******.    I'd just like to know if he goes out of his way to be an ******* but he won't respond. 
2/7/2013 3:50 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/7/2013 3:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 2/7/2013 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/7/2013 2:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by examinerebb on 2/7/2013 2:12:00 PM (view original):
I didn't post that to say the existence of dark matter is more or less plausible than the existence of God.  I'm saying that people (Bill Nye comes to mind) who publicly say that teaching creationism is a waste of time, but belive dark matter should be taught, are exhibiting an enormous amount of hypocrisy.  Which is too bad, because I like Bill Nye, as do my kids.
Bill Nye teaches science.  Dark matter belongs in that category.  The idea that Genesis is completely literal, word for word, does not belong when teaching "science."

If you teach dark matter as "fact" I would also agree that that's wrong to do.  
I didn't say anything about teaching Genesis.  That's another fallacy - that all people who believe in creationism (I do) believe that the Bible is the word of God (I do not).  Besides which, there are other creationist religions beyond Judeo-Christians.  The Bible certainly wouldn't apply there.  Personally, I'm not religious at all.  I believe a God exists (or did at one time), and that God created the universe we know.  I believe that you can't create something from nothing.  The scientific argument, in my mind, necessarily reaches a dead-end.  Science can trace the origins of the universe down to a speck of matter so small that we can't possibly comprehend it, but something still had to create that speck.  So, to me, creationism is the more plausible explanation of the two.  Which is not to say I discount the other side at all.  I just don't believe the argument against creationism is any more sound than the argument for.
I believe in God.  I believe he created the universe.  But I also believe that Earth has existed for 4.5 billion years, and that humans evolved.  

I think a fallacy of creationists might be that they think people who believe in an old world and evolution don't believe that God created the universe.
Certainly not this creationist, as I believe the same things.
2/7/2013 4:07 PM
Quote post by MikeT23 on 2/7/2013 3:50:00 PM:
Here's the thing:

I seldom see/hear Bible-thumpers going "Bah, science!"
Yet, ******* constantly, I see/hear athiests going "SHOW ME PROOF OF YOUR SO-CALLED GOD!!!!"

----------------------------------------------------------

+1

The "Show me proof" argument makes sense for agnostics.  Atheists, it seems to me, would have as much responsibility in an argument to prove that God doesn't exist as a believer would have to prove that God does.
2/7/2013 4:16 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Look up "faith" and then get back to me.
2/7/2013 4:32 PM
It's funny that I'm on the "God Squad" side of the fence when my wife thought I was an athiest for the first 6-7 years of marriage.    Just tells you how ****** up the science ******** act.
2/7/2013 4:48 PM
Again, if I've been coming across as an *******, I apologize.  It's not my intention to rip on anyone's faith.
2/7/2013 4:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/7/2013 4:32:00 PM (view original):
Part of the definition of "faith" implies that there is no real evidence.
2/7/2013 6:39 PM
Posted by The Taint on 2/7/2013 2:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/7/2013 2:01:00 PM (view original):
I don't even know what "actively anti-science" means.   Do they picket labs?   Throw holy water on guys in labs coats?   WTF makes them actively anti-science?
They think that th body shuts down during rape, therefore making it impossible to get pregnant when raped? That's kinda actively anti science. I guess....
F*ck off, seriously. Because I'm a Creationist, I'm automatically a religious fanatic who gets lumped in with idiots like that? That doesn't even fit into this discussion.

If you're only response to a creationist is "ya, well...you're a religious freak who thinks...", then you have ZERO credibility or strength in your position.
2/7/2013 6:41 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/7/2013 4:19:00 PM (view original):
The absence of ANY evidence of a god is reason enough to NOT believe.

It's a double or triple negative, but it has internal consistency.
Depends on your definition of "evidence". I look around me at nature, etc. and I would say there is plenty of evidence of a devine creator. I think it's foolish to believe all this happens by accident. And my position is no more or less valid than yours.
2/7/2013 6:43 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/7/2013 6:39:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/7/2013 4:32:00 PM (view original):
Part of the definition of "faith" implies that there is no real evidence.
Those with faith don't need evidence.  They have something call "faith" and that's why they believe.
2/7/2013 6:44 PM
Both sides have plenty of nutjobs.   That's why I didn't even acknowledge the barkeep.
2/7/2013 6:45 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/7/2013 6:43:00 PM (view original):

Depends on your definition of "evidence". I look around me at nature, etc. and I would say there is plenty of evidence of a devine creator. I think it's foolish to believe all this happens by accident. And my position is no more or less valid than yours.

Nature isn't evidence of a DIVINE (if you don't know a ******* word, don't try to use it) creator.  It simply is.  To postulate a divine creator based on faith or belief is fine, but don't pass it off as evidence.

And don't try to characterize your position as "valid".  It's FAITH (as MIke says) and is not based on evidence.  You can't have it both ways.

2/7/2013 7:00 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/7/2013 7:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/7/2013 6:43:00 PM (view original):

Nature isn't evidence of a DIVINE (if you don't know a ******* word, don't try to use it) creator.  It simply is.  To postulate a divine creator based on faith or belief is fine, but don't pass it off as evidence.

And don't try to characterize your position as "valid".  It's FAITH (as MIke says) and is not based on evidence.  You can't have it both ways.

The reason nature is evidence is the intricacies of the cells, atoms, quarks, EVERYTHING in nature.

Order does not come from chaos.

Clean out your garage entirely. Not a speck of dust. Leave it for a week, a month, a year. 200 billion years. Then go back and check. Has a Mercedes formed?
2/7/2013 7:11 PM
Wow, that's a bit of a leap!

THERE MUST BE A GOD!
2/7/2013 7:12 PM
◂ Prev 1...26|27|28|29|30...60 Next ▸
Makes me sick... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.