Pointless QB exercise Topic

I like the Kiper impression.
2/21/2013 3:06 PM
Me too. It's done well and is quite humorous.
2/21/2013 3:11 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/21/2013 3:06:00 PM (view original):
I like the Kiper impression.
Hey, what's a draft without Mel Kiper's blathering on and on about his board and upside.
2/21/2013 3:13 PM
Mel's gonna crap his pants when I take Richard Todd in the second round.
2/21/2013 3:41 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/21/2013 2:44:00 PM (view original):
Berman: OK, the first round is complete.  Your thoughts?

Kiper: Well, aside from the Rodgers pick, pretty much to form.  I believe Rodgers would've been there in the second round coming back, but Damag must not have wanted the stats-heavy resumes of Marino, Fouts, or Brees.  Clearly, he wanted someone with a ring as his bell-cow.

Mort: Brees has a ring.  And has had a longer career

Kiper: Yeah, but he's..... SHORT.  And Brees could not have succeeded in any other generation.  He's a pocket passer who is only 5'11".  Forget the press guide, this guy is SHORT.

Berman: What about JTP at the turn taking Fouts?

Kiper:  Tough to say.  He wouldn't have been available coming back in the 3rd or 4th.  But he already had Marino, so he filled his quota for quarterbacks with millions of yards and no rings.  A Marino/Bradshaw or Marino/Staubach or, even better, a Marino/Graham combination might have served him better.  Now, EVERYONE on the board has more rings than he does, and he's picked twice.  He might be able to argue for statistical bulk, but he's dead if they're comparing rings.
I'm keeping Dilfer in my back pocket
2/21/2013 3:46 PM
Bet he ****** about being that close to your blowhole.
2/21/2013 3:57 PM
He let his defense carry him to a ring. The man has no shame.
2/21/2013 4:01 PM
Well, Mel kinda got it right.  The pick here is Drew Brees.

Which gives me a Brees/Rodgers combo, which I might have had anyway, just in reverse order.  (And which would kill in Fantasy football.)

Nothing against the picks in between, but I wasn't picking Marino at 7 but I would have picked him here if he was still here.

I also didn't mention before - going back to the controversial Rodgers - I see Rodgers as a direct comp for Young.  Yes I know he's only had half the career but the rate stats are the same.  Young only has one ring, Aikman has three.  Yet NO one has said a word about Young since he was picked.

I now have two stat accumulating QBs whose offenses revolve totally around them, have no running games, and crap defenses.  But they have one ring each, plus SB MVPs, which gives them the same as Peyton.

Which reminds me - what about Eli? 

Be interesting to see what I get when it comes around again. 

2/21/2013 4:35 PM
Yeah, but you could have had Marino at 7 and still picked up Rodgers here.
2/21/2013 4:39 PM
Todd/Mort called it.  I'm going old school with my close personal friend Roger Staubach for my second pick.

By "close personal friend", I'm referring to the time Roger and I passed each other in a hotel lobby in Dallas around a dozen years ago or so.
2/21/2013 4:40 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/21/2013 4:39:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, but you could have had Marino at 7 and still picked up Rodgers here.
I would have only picked up Marino at the 10 if both Rodgers and Brees had been gone.  Yeah, I know, Rodgers.  You all think Rodgers sucks.  Well, I had a lot of years thinking Marino sucked.  To be honest he was only good for about the first seven or eight years, then after that he was old and fat and beating his head against a wall.  Besides, there's a guy in here who's not in this draft who thinks Brady sucks.  I know Brady's a complete douchebag, but come on, you can't actually say he sucks.  So, whatever, man.

2/21/2013 4:49 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/20/2013 2:11:00 PM (view original):

I won't tell you why I wouldn't take Brees over Rodgers until someone drafts Brees.

Now that Brees has been taken.......He was nothing special in SD.   Looks like pretty routine stats/wins.   SD let him walk, albeit he was injured, in favor of Philip RIvers.  Rivers has put up similar number with the same system that Brees had.   He's been lights out in NO but doesn't that just show that he's the ultimate system QB?   Could Rivers have put up similar numbers in NO?   Would anyone even consider Rivers a top QB in the NFL right now?
2/21/2013 4:49 PM
Posted by damag on 2/21/2013 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Well, Mel kinda got it right.  The pick here is Drew Brees.

Which gives me a Brees/Rodgers combo, which I might have had anyway, just in reverse order.  (And which would kill in Fantasy football.)

Nothing against the picks in between, but I wasn't picking Marino at 7 but I would have picked him here if he was still here.

I also didn't mention before - going back to the controversial Rodgers - I see Rodgers as a direct comp for Young.  Yes I know he's only had half the career but the rate stats are the same.  Young only has one ring, Aikman has three.  Yet NO one has said a word about Young since he was picked.

I now have two stat accumulating QBs whose offenses revolve totally around them, have no running games, and crap defenses.  But they have one ring each, plus SB MVPs, which gives them the same as Peyton.

Which reminds me - what about Eli? 

Be interesting to see what I get when it comes around again. 

Steve Young was a stat monster for 8 years.  Led the league in several statistical categories year after year.  Rodgers has 5 full seasons.
2/21/2013 4:50 PM
BTW I looked up the all-time yards passing list, and there are a bunch of guys there in the top 20 who shouldn't even come CLOSE to this draft.

2/21/2013 4:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/21/2013 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/20/2013 2:11:00 PM (view original):

I won't tell you why I wouldn't take Brees over Rodgers until someone drafts Brees.

Now that Brees has been taken.......He was nothing special in SD.   Looks like pretty routine stats/wins.   SD let him walk, albeit he was injured, in favor of Philip RIvers.  Rivers has put up similar number with the same system that Brees had.   He's been lights out in NO but doesn't that just show that he's the ultimate system QB?   Could Rivers have put up similar numbers in NO?   Would anyone even consider Rivers a top QB in the NFL right now?
Rivers WAS great for a few years...he's fallen off since.  He's also lost some weapons.

Brees also throws a lot more in NO than he did in SD...has more chances to put up big numbers.
2/21/2013 4:52 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...19 Next ▸
Pointless QB exercise Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.