Vote for best group of drafted QBs Topic

Holy ****!  Who voted for "Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Cunningham" as the worst group?
2/26/2013 9:59 PM
Probably Mike
2/26/2013 10:32 PM
I'll reiterate that I think we should redraft with a different order and see how things shake out. Be interesting to see who values players differently in the early goings.
2/26/2013 10:32 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/26/2013 9:50:00 PM (view original):
You drafted them, obviously you thought they were worth it.
I did, but I took them 24/25 out of 32. They were better than some guys who went before them and all guys drafted after them. So I'm not sure who else you are thinking I should have drafted
2/26/2013 10:34 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/26/2013 10:32:00 PM (view original):
Probably Mike
Probably damag.   I know I voted for his pile of puke.
2/26/2013 10:39 PM
It's someone who wasn't involved in the draft.  If he wants to come forward to defend the pick, he can, but since the polls allow anonymity, I won't call him out.
2/27/2013 9:09 AM
I voted for damag in both polls.   To be honest, I kept comparing my group to Montana and Co.    Had he not taken Cunningham, I'd have voted for that group.   He had a few good years but never led the league in anything but getting sacked.  He was horrible in the playoffs.   Nothing about Randall Cunningham says "Top 32 of all-time."   Nothing.

He was Vick before Vick.   Except without the drug charges, dogfighting and prison time.
2/27/2013 9:31 AM
I'm going to give a short analysis of each group:

Marino, Fouts, E.Manning, Roethlisberger

Marino put up great stats and is no doubt one of the all time greats. He's too often underrated because of his lack of an SB win. All the old school "greats" are essentially the same as far as I'm concerned, so those are "wash" picks. Eli and Ben are clutch in key situations and are good but not amazing otherwise.

Bottom line: Marino is the only QB in this group that strikes me as elite.

Rodgers, Brees, Namath, Plunkett

Rodgers and Brees both have amazing passing ability and put up great stats. They're both elite in the modern age and will prove it further if they continue the way they've been playing. Namath and Plunkett are both old school.

Bottom line: Rodgers and Brees are good but the old school focus isn't impressive.

Elway, Staubach, Warner, McNabb

Elway is clearly one of the best. Staubach is old school. Warner is right up there in the top ten all time. McNabb is under rated but rounds out this group nicely.

Bottom line: Two top ten QBs and an often under rated McNabb make this a good group with just one old school pick.

Unitas, Favre, Moon, Tittle

Favre is a great QB and Moon was good in his time, and there are two old school picks here.

Bottom line: Only Favre is top ten material from this group, and without him, this group doesn't compete with the others here at all.

Young, Graham, Baugh, Anderson

Similar to the last group: One potential top ten QB all time, but now with three old school picks, its like Young has to carry this group for it to be better than any other.

Bottom line: As I said, Young carries the group, and the old schools are just a wash. Nothing overly impressive.

Brady, Tarkenton, Dawson, Greise

This group is like the last two except it has no top ten all time QB to carry it.

Bottom line: Three wash QBs and an over rated modern QB don't get it done here. Worst group so far.

P. Manning, Starr, Kelly, Jurgenson

Peyton is top ten all time and so is Kelly. Two true stars carry this group that features two old school picks.

Bottom line: With two high level QBs, this group is high quality. Only real competition is the very next group.

Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Cunningham

The group has just one school pick and features a top ten all time QB and one who could easily make the top 20. Bradshaw was over rated and often still is, and Cunningham had some skill in his time.

Bottom line:  One great QB, one fairly great. The only real competition for this group is the one directly above it.

And the winner is...

P.Manning, Starr, Kelly, Jurgenson

The last two groups clearly are a cut above the rest. Bradshaw, Starr, and Jurgenson are all a wash and basically so is Cunningham, leaving P. Manning and Kelly against Montana and Aikman.

Peyton and Montana are both great QBs, but Peyton has shown more ability while Montana gets credit for SB wins, so the edge goes to Peyton.

Same story with Kelly and Aikman - both skilled, Aikman has the SB wins while Kelly lost four times. They basically wash each other out.

Honorable mention:

Marino, Fouts, E. Manning, Roethlisberger

2/27/2013 9:38 AM
While I appreciate the kudos for my Kurt Warner selection, I think it's pretty silly to assert that he's a "top ten all-time" QB.

And what's with the apparent disregard for "old school" QB's? 
2/27/2013 10:02 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2013 9:31:00 AM (view original):
I voted for damag in both polls.   To be honest, I kept comparing my group to Montana and Co.    Had he not taken Cunningham, I'd have voted for that group.   He had a few good years but never led the league in anything but getting sacked.  He was horrible in the playoffs.   Nothing about Randall Cunningham says "Top 32 of all-time."   Nothing.

He was Vick before Vick.   Except without the drug charges, dogfighting and prison time.
How does damag have the best and worst team?
2/27/2013 10:10 AM
Warner is one of the best all time as far as I'm concerned.

Warner took two completely separate teams a decade apart - teams who should not have sniffed the post season based on recent performance - and he led them to the Super Bowl with great leadership skills, pocket presence, and incredibly accurate throwing ability that essentially defined his career.

I would only take a very small number of QBs ahead of either the Rams or Cardinals version of Warner, so he's top ten all time to me.

As for the "old school" QBs, I haven't personally witnessed much of their work (and really don't have much desire to do so). I don't know all that much about many of them. As such, I consider them all to be essentially the same and remove them all from consideration when rating the groupings here. I'm probably not the best person to rate these groupings since I am so unfamiliar with some of the QBs, but I rate what I know and disregard the rest, which seems the fairest way to do it with the info I have.

2/27/2013 10:12 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/27/2013 10:10:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2013 9:31:00 AM (view original):

How does damag have the best and worst team?
I couldn't vote for my group and I wasn't going to vote for the 2nd best group.   So I threw damag a pity vote.   Looks like a few others could have used one also.
2/27/2013 10:15 AM
For all the whining about my rankings, the polls agree with me on the top two groups (and the worst, but that was a gimme).

Namath is the worst QB in this list.  By far.  Lamonica, Hadl, Kemp, and Blanda all had better AFL careers and weren't picked.  Namath was more famous than good (p.s. his Brady Bunch episode was on last night)
2/27/2013 11:24 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/27/2013 11:24:00 AM (view original):
For all the whining about my rankings, the polls agree with me on the top two groups (and the worst, but that was a gimme).

Namath is the worst QB in this list.  By far.  Lamonica, Hadl, Kemp, and Blanda all had better AFL careers and weren't picked.  Namath was more famous than good (p.s. his Brady Bunch episode was on last night)
"Woo-hoo!!  The dumbasses at WifS agree with me!!!"

Yeah, I'd want that on my tombstone.  Congrats.
2/27/2013 11:34 AM
It seems people consider "winning Super Bowls" to be the most important attribute.  Which is fine, but I'd be curious to see what would have happened if Montana was a Falcon and Bradshaw was a Brown.  Are they suddenly significantly worse QBs if they can't win Super Bowls?
2/27/2013 11:45 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...18 Next ▸
Vote for best group of drafted QBs Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.