Vote for best group of drafted QBs Topic

I mentioned that earlier.  Back when I started watching football, the early 70s, no one ever said "Oh, you gotta protect the ball" when a QB floated one 40 yards downfield into a DB's hands on 3 and 7.   It was just a short punt.
3/1/2013 3:11 PM
Yea, I'm just figuring out how QBs "win games" but right now, the rules don't seem to apply to Bradshaw.

Note that most of the time, I've been comparing QBs to QBs who play at the same time.
3/1/2013 3:18 PM
Have you guys even mentioned that QBs called their own plays till the early 80s?  So a guy had to be his own Offensive Coordinator, and he probably got pulled for calling a bad game as much as anything else.  Even a "dummy" like Bradshaw.

3/1/2013 3:48 PM
Bradshaw just got yelled at a lot by Chuck Noll.   We used to laugh at how he'd completely avoid Noll after throwing a pick.
3/1/2013 3:51 PM
Bradshaw falls into an interesting time.  His prime years roughly correspond to Staubach's and maybe Griese, and I think most agree that Staubach was better.  But according to this group, they're the only two or three quarterbacks worth anything then.  Tarkenton, Jurgensen, and Dawson were 10-15 year veterans around this time (and Brodie, Hadl, and Hart).  And he preceded the Marino, Kelly, Fouts air-circus days.

I think he suffers most when viewed through the lens of the modern stat hounds.  He did a lot of the Brett Favre type throws (20 years before Favre).  Like someone said, he didn't care if he missed some deep throws, knowing that hitting 1 out of 5 would result in a touchdown, and the interception 40 yards downfield on third down was a wash.  That was OK back then (see Stabler, Bert Jones, Pastorini).  Using statistical analysis on an earlier era is pointless (it's like deadball pitchers or steroid-era hitters).  You could literally beat the **** out of a receiver back then.  You could actually HIT a quarterback without getting their panties wadded up.

I feel like I'm in a rocking chair explaining football in the 70's.
3/1/2013 5:27 PM
Let me try this from another angle:  What is the goal of an NFL quarterback?
3/1/2013 5:31 PM
If you agree that the game was different in different eras, why do you polish Montana's balls and poop on Starr/Jurgensen?
3/1/2013 5:33 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/1/2013 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Let me try this from another angle:  What is the goal of an NFL quarterback?
It's different by team.

Dilfer-Don't **** it up.  Our defense will put us in position to win the damn game.
Brees/Manning-Win the damn game because our defense sucks.
3/1/2013 5:34 PM
Hell, one could argue that Raplisberger and Eli had to be both in their Super Bowl wins.
3/1/2013 5:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/1/2013 5:33:00 PM (view original):
If you agree that the game was different in different eras, why do you polish Montana's balls and poop on Starr/Jurgensen?
Jurgensen was a drunken slob who ****** away a lot of his natural ability (the Jeff George of his time).  I'm not ******* on Starr.  I said he was the ultimate game manager who did just about everything on my list of things a QB needs to do to win a game.

That being said, he also was never asked to take over a game and win it in the air.  Montana was.  Do you know the leading rusher for the 49ers in Super Bowl XIX (hint: the team included Wendell Tyler and Roger Craig)? 

Joe Montana. 
3/1/2013 5:36 PM
Nobody licks ******.
3/1/2013 6:16 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/1/2013 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Bradshaw falls into an interesting time.  His prime years roughly correspond to Staubach's and maybe Griese, and I think most agree that Staubach was better.  But according to this group, they're the only two or three quarterbacks worth anything then.  Tarkenton, Jurgensen, and Dawson were 10-15 year veterans around this time (and Brodie, Hadl, and Hart).  And he preceded the Marino, Kelly, Fouts air-circus days.

I think he suffers most when viewed through the lens of the modern stat hounds.  He did a lot of the Brett Favre type throws (20 years before Favre).  Like someone said, he didn't care if he missed some deep throws, knowing that hitting 1 out of 5 would result in a touchdown, and the interception 40 yards downfield on third down was a wash.  That was OK back then (see Stabler, Bert Jones, Pastorini).  Using statistical analysis on an earlier era is pointless (it's like deadball pitchers or steroid-era hitters).  You could literally beat the **** out of a receiver back then.  You could actually HIT a quarterback without getting their panties wadded up.

I feel like I'm in a rocking chair explaining football in the 70's.
I was comparing Bradshaw to other QBs in his era.

If using statistical analysis on an earlier era is pointless, than whats the point in the discussion?

3/1/2013 6:46 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/1/2013 5:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/1/2013 5:33:00 PM (view original):
Jurgensen was a drunken slob who ****** away a lot of his natural ability (the Jeff George of his time).  I'm not ******* on Starr.  I said he was the ultimate game manager who did just about everything on my list of things a QB needs to do to win a game.

That being said, he also was never asked to take over a game and win it in the air.  Montana was.  Do you know the leading rusher for the 49ers in Super Bowl XIX (hint: the team included Wendell Tyler and Roger Craig)? 

Joe Montana. 
Wendell Tyler was the leading rusher.
3/1/2013 7:01 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...18 Next ▸
Vote for best group of drafted QBs Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.