Nevada...Now NC State Recruit Tracking Topic

Recruit #2: James Cantrell

I'm excited about Cantrell, even though he probably won't contribute a lot this year.  He will be athletic, with the real possibility he'll break into the 90s.  He has at least a little speed.  His Reb, Def, SB, and LP are all high-high.  If they explode, this guy could be a great player.  

6/24/2014 3:22 PM
Recruit #3: Jack Gilbert

I see Gilbert playing SF for the majority of his career.  He already has a lot of great skills and he'll be a good athlete, great defender, and great shooter.  Plus, with most of his skills already developed, I can work on improving his defense and his high-high perimeter.  He'll come off the bench this year at the start, but I see him starting at SF next year.  
6/24/2014 3:24 PM
Recruit #4: Justin Porcaro

I love Porcaro.  He's already a pretty developed big man, he's going to be a good shot blocker, he's going to be a great low post scorer, he's going to have great perimeter skills for a big man.  He's going to be a fantastic PF.  
6/24/2014 3:27 PM

I missed out on the post-season team picture I usually have, oh well.  This year we made the NT as an 11 seed, upset the regional little brother Charlotte, and fell in the 2nd round.  Ivan Kisielewski was our star, although we were led in scoring by Omar Walters.  Although Kisielewski had another year of eligibility, he declared for the draft.  He was taken in the 2nd round.  We also had a player quit- Roy Ventmiglia transferred to Ole Miss, which gave us 6 openings.  This may be one of my best classes ever, so I am very excited to see how they mesh with the class I recruited last season.  

However, the prospects for this year are bleak.  We have only one senior and one junior, neither of which are world beaters.  The hope for the future and the development of the young players will hopefully tide me over until next year.  

7/23/2014 6:27 PM
Recruit #1: Brent Phillips

Phillips is a highly ranked SF prospect who has great potential.  With high-highs in Spd, Def, LP, and Per, he should develop into a very strong SF.  He won't be expected to start anytime soon and should be a very good backup SF in 2 years, when we look to make our big run.  

7/23/2014 6:32 PM
Recruit #2: Bob Branch

Branch is a risky project player and these guys have gotten me into trouble before.  However, with the rest of the class being so strong, I felt it would be worth the gamble.  He is high-high in Speed, LP, Per, and BH.  He's accepted a RS and has a 96 (!!!) WE.  With two solid SFs ahead of him, he'll have time to develop those high-highs and I won't have to worry about him playing any minutes because he sucks right now.  
7/23/2014 6:36 PM
Recruit #3: 

Seo is a guy who is going to be a solid defensive big.  With solid speed and perimeter skills, he could definitely play both big spots.  Considering the other bigs on the roster, he'll probably play C, but it'll definitely be nice to have a guy who can pass it well out of the post in the triangle (and just having that much more passing on offense should be a nice boost overall).  

7/23/2014 6:39 PM
Recruit #4: Douglas Johnson

Our 3rd (but not final) Top-100 recruit of this class, Johnson was a key signing as we desperately needed a strong guard.  He's going to be fast and athletic as well as a good defender.  With high-high potential in both LP and Per, he has the potential to develop into a scorer.  His low-high potential in Passing will probably limit him to being a SG, but we'll see how that plays out.  What's great is that he has a 99 WE, which will really speed up his development and make him a serviceable starter by the beginning of next year when Sol Costa is gone.  
7/23/2014 6:45 PM
Recruit #5: Joseph Holbrook

Holbrook is one of the best I've ever brought to campus.  I won a huge battle with UNC for him and boy am I glad he chose NC State.  He's a guy who could definitely end up winning CPOY and will contend for national awards if he stays long enough.  He should be an impact player from day 1 because of his athleticism.  Hopefully he'll be a dominant force when next year roles around (and I'm praying he sticks around for his Jr year!)
7/23/2014 6:50 PM
It is clear I am VERY behind on this.  So, I'll give it my best shot.  

After we signed this nice looking class above, we proceeded to go 9-18 (1-15) and had a horrendous year.  We were really bad, but we did have a lot of growth.  Below are our overall ratings and improvements at the end of the season.  

9/24/2014 2:26 PM
After our horrendous 1-15 ACC season, we somehow kept our A- prestige.  With the departure of Sol Costa, who ended up 14th all-time in NC State Assists, we needed another guard.  In one of the worst mid-Atlantic recruiting pools I'd ever seen, the top dogs had a ton of $ while we only had 2 openings.  Therefore, we had to go all the way to Miami Beach to find Bill Deans, a PG who would hold his own off the bench.  

Recruit #1: Bill Deans

9/24/2014 2:30 PM
Recruit #2:

I thought Holbrook might leave early, so I thought we might pick up an extra big.  So, I sought out JUCO PF Armand Giordano.  He didn't play a whole lot, but he should be a solid contributor.  
9/24/2014 2:31 PM
This most recent season went slightly better than the last.  We won some key non-conference games and started the ACC season with solid wins.  At one point, we were 15-0 and ranked #5 in the country.  We couldn't keep that up forever, but finished the regular season 22-4 (12-4), with a 16-0 mark at home.  The season also included wins over UNC and Duke, which was nice.  The 12-4 mark was good enough to win us the division and put us in good position for the CT.  We made it all the way to the CT championship game before falling to Georgia Tech. Our impressive resume landed us a 3 seed, where we took down Florida A&M in the first round.  Slated against a solid Pitt squad in round 2, we made it out with a convincing win.  In the Sweet 16, we met our match against 7 seed UCLA, who, despite running an 8-man rotation, was an incredibly good team for a 7 seed.  It was sad to go out, but it was a very solid season, giving us a total of 6 tournament wins in the past 4 seasons, which is a number I am willing to live with.

Unfortunately, we lost our top 2 players- Randal Collier to graduation and Joseph Holbrook to the draft.  Holbrook went #5 and was the first sophomore selected in the draft.  You can see how good he is below.  

9/24/2014 2:40 PM
Recruit #1: Robert Huff

With Collier graduating and Holbrook leaving, that opened up 2 spots on the roster.  We are fairly set for next season at SF and our 4 bigs are solid, but with only 3 guards, we needed some help.  So, I went out and found the best possible guard I could get.  Despite being in South Carolina, Kansas made a play for him, but I was able to fight them off and bring the #1 PG in the country to campus.  
9/24/2014 2:42 PM
We had a pretty poor season.  We went 15-15 (7-9) and made it to the 3rd round of the PIT.  Was hoping for better, but we had some bad luck (1-7 in games decided by 3pts or less).  Going into next season, we only have 6 returners, as Armand Giordano decided to transfer.  Our guard trio Deans-Johnson-Huff is excellent, we have a solid SF in Phillips, and one solid big in Seo.  We have a good amount of $ going into recruiting, so hopefully we get some good players.  
10/22/2014 12:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15 Next ▸
Nevada...Now NC State Recruit Tracking Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.