Mega-Ultra-Super-Duper-Uber Challenge Topic

Are you interested in the MUSDUC?

Votes: 49
(Last vote received: 2/24/2014 8:34 PM)
7/11/2013 5:18 PM
I'd like to propose a rather intensive mega challenge between the top power conferences of Knight D2. This would involve what I think are currently the top 8 conferences in Knight D2: Heartland, Cal CAA, Southern, Central, Great NW, Lone Star, North American, and GLIAC. [EDIT - I now believe the best format now would be a 5 game commitment with 6 participating conferences. If there are more conferences eligible and interested I'd like to see them get to move up and the last place finisher move out each season. If there are more than one interested conferences maybe they could play a mini challenge themselves with the winner getting the relegation spot...] The format derives from a number of various conference challenges I've taken part in and/or managed over the years.

Participation would require a commitment of 7 games of your non-conference schedule. I'm thinking that each conference will send 6 teams since some of these conferences only have 7 or 8 humans right now.  I'll use the same seeding method I currently use in the Heartland - CCAA Challenge. The conference records of each team are averaged for the last 2 seasons and the teams are seeded 1-12. Each seed will play their corresponding seed from each other conference. If this results in a repeat of a match-up from last season I will slide teams up or down 1 seed when possible to avoid repeats. Home/Away can either be determined on alternating conference basis or I can simply set them as I do now game by game trying to avoid imbalances while also keeping it even between the conferences and seeds (for example I try to avoid having all the top seeds get home while all the bottom get away, etc)

I'll do all the maintenance, coaches just have to sign-up here and schedule games when prompted. 

The winning conference will be determined by adding up the wins and losses for all teams in the conference, with the best overall W/L total the champion. In the case of any ties we will then use total margin of victory.

To make things really interesting, I'd love to have every coach that participates donate a $5 WiS gift certificate for entry. The 6 coaches in the winning conference would then get to split the total pot ($40 each). If a coach pays in and does not return to the school he registered with the next season that $5 stays in the pot. If one of the winning coaches happens to have just taken over (and therefore did not pay in) he gets lucky and still gets his share. Simple money rules - all in, then all out... [EDIT - Looks like most people would rather forgo the cash prize aspect and just play, which is cool with me - it was just a suggestion after all - so I believe that the cash prize angle is out]

In order to make this happen, we will target scheduling next season (63) for games to take place season 64. (We are currently in season 62.)

If you are interested please indicate so by posting below (please post your school and conference in your post). Posting an interest is not a binding agreement to ante up 

List of those expressing interest (either via post or vote)

jonnyt_1 - CSU, Bakersfield - CCAA
jmharlow - Cal, San Diego - CCAA
ripnsnort - Cal Poly Pomona - CCAA
bomann5 - San Francisco St - CCAA
tcole23 - Grand Canyon - CCAA
jetwildcat - Cal, Davis - CCAA
jdog1997 - Sonoma St - CCAA
johnfoppe - CSU, Dominguez Hills - CCAA
sharrow - CSU, Los Angeles - CCAA
daenon - CSU, Stanislaus - CCAA

rogelio - North Carolina Central - Central
tk21775 - Livingstone  - Central
llamanunts - Bowie St - Central
milwood - Virginia Union - Central
mrbinson - Johnson C Smith - Central
yazooyokel - Winston-Salem St - Central
twiddlebug - Fayetteville St - Central
daveredden - St Augustine's - Central
robertsponge - Elizabeth City St - Central
mattstarks- Shaw - Central

tlfisch - Grand Valley St - GLIAC
blapo21 - Findlay - GLIAC
coach_sean - Ferris St - GLIAC
echaney - Michigan Tech - GLIAC
sublightd - Northwood - GLIAC
danhiltunen - Wayne St (MI) - GLIAC
johnson1685 - N. Michigan - GLIAC

dacj501 - Valdosta St - Heartland
a_in_the_b - Drury - Heartland
reddyred - Incarnate Word - Heartland
ctnowlin - St Edward's - Heartland
collegeboss7 - W. Alabama - Heartland
hueylong - West Florida - Heartland
wansingk - Montevallo - Heartland

pete0713 - SW Oklahoma St - Lone Star
victorzhao - Texas A&M, Kingsville - Lone Star
shucky - Texas A&M, Commerce - Lone Star
bjb2378 - Northeastern St - Lone Star
shafty - Tarleton St - Lone Star
carrollg - E. Central - Lone Star

tarvolon - Alaska, Anchorage - North American
jfribush - Tiffin - North American
davisdynasty - Central St - North American
mmt0315 - Stonehill - North American
garmansouth - S. New Hampshire - North American
slick_watts - Slippery Rock - North American
westcoast22 - West Chester (PA) - North American
jtt8355 - W Virginia Wesleyan - North American

Just missed the cut...this time!
mamidu - Hawai'i at Hilo - Great NW
andrew5975 - Chaminade - Great NW 
swany623 - Florida Gulf Coast - Southern
wolfgangcrab - Kentucky St - Southern
mikesons1073 - Paine - Southern
MyGeneration - Benedict - Southern
kevodaphenom  - Chadron St - Rocky Mountain

The following have indicated interest, but are not currently coaching in Knight D2. They might be willing to join a participating (or on the cusp of eligible to particpate) conference.
pepwaves - retired
aejones - D III
piratehoops - retired

7/31/2013 11:11 PM (edited)
I'm in.  Let me know what I need to do.
7/11/2013 8:54 PM
Cal Poly Pomona -CAL CAA Count me in.
7/11/2013 9:56 PM
I'd be in, Findlay, GLIAC
7/11/2013 11:00 PM
Seems like a great idea! Unfortunately, my conference isn't an elite conference...just yet.
7/11/2013 11:30 PM
Posted by kevodaphenom on 7/11/2013 11:30:00 PM (view original):
Seems like a great idea! Unfortunately, my conference isn't an elite conference...just yet.
you guys were right on the cusp - I went back and forth between you guys and the Southern (since they only have 6 humans) but the tiebreaker was that recent thread on the main forum where everyone was pimping their D2 conference to someone and no one from the Rocky Mtn piped up while the Southern was represented. Arbitrary? Sure...but line had to be drawn somewhere
7/12/2013 5:00 AM
Posted by dacj501 on 7/12/2013 5:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by kevodaphenom on 7/11/2013 11:30:00 PM (view original):
you guys were right on the cusp - I went back and forth between you guys and the Southern (since they only have 6 humans) but the tiebreaker was that recent thread on the main forum where everyone was pimping their D2 conference to someone and no one from the Rocky Mtn piped up while the Southern was represented. Arbitrary? Sure...but line had to be drawn somewhere
Very understandable.
7/12/2013 7:58 AM
bomann here
7/12/2013 8:24 AM
Posted by bomann5 on 7/12/2013 8:24:00 AM (view original):
bomann here
bomann is here, as you can see. whether he's interested, i'm not sure.

i'm in
7/12/2013 8:42 AM
Count me in.
7/12/2013 9:00 AM
I especially like the idea of conferences "sending" 6 teams per conference. Adds an extra layer of meaning to the games since you're representing your homeboys. It's be like the HD Olympics lol
7/12/2013 12:47 PM
We are rebuilding, but I could represent the GLIAC if need be.
7/12/2013 1:21 PM
I'd be in, although my team may not be top 6 in the conference this year.

Lone Star Conf - SW Oklahoma St

7/12/2013 3:13 PM
I'd be in.
7/12/2013 7:51 PM
1|2|3...15 Next ▸
Mega-Ultra-Super-Duper-Uber Challenge Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.