Canucks Thread - We Still Believe Topic

Not sure why you blame your coach when it's up to the players to actually show up.  Yah, Vigneault isn't exactly Scotty Bowman, but when you build your team around a couple of fancy-passing Euros and a goalie controversy, you're bound to have problems. 

As the token Sharks fan around here, I agree that the last call against VAN sucked.  You hate to see that in a playoff overtime (let alone an elimination game).  From the outside, I'd agree that the Sedins need to be split up (I wouldn't necessarily dump both of them).  When they're out there together, they like playing little passing games like they're playing on their backyard ice.  That's fine on the PP, but there isn't enough room 5-on-5, and their overpassing leads to long shifts and tired legs.  Why not put them on different lines with at least ONE physical player?  Plus, they have ZERO trade value right now (like Luongo). 

Kesler is a stud.  I kinda like Edler, but Bieksa seems like a loose cannon and a penalty waiting to happen. Plus he always looks like he just bit into a lemon.  

I'd say this one is more on the GM than the coach.  The coach can only try to optimize the guys he's been given... and I don't think Vancouver had enough depth (gee, maybe trading one of the goalies could've helped...) to compete with a team that could roll four lines.
5/8/2013 1:35 PM
Luongo is not tradable.  He is still signed until 2022.  Only the Islanders would make a move like that.
5/8/2013 2:55 PM
Posted by raucous on 5/8/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
Luongo is not tradable.  He is still signed until 2022.  Only the Islanders would make a move like that.
I think the Isles are already paying a goalie until 2022.  That's why the Canucks should unload Schneider (who has less trade value today than he had last week).

Basically, they're screwed. 
5/8/2013 3:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Yah, but the goalie "situation" could've been solved by trading ONE of them to a goalie-starved team for a top-six forward.  Goalies are a useful commodity (assuming they don't have perpetual contracts), and can be successfully shifted for other commodities....  if your GM knows what he's doing.
5/8/2013 5:22 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 5/8/2013 3:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by raucous on 5/8/2013 2:55:00 PM (view original):
I think the Isles are already paying a goalie until 2022.  That's why the Canucks should unload Schneider (who has less trade value today than he had last week).

Basically, they're screwed. 
A goalie who is the star in Bridgeport!
5/9/2013 9:02 AM
hehe.
5/21/2013 9:31 AM
OK, one shoe has fallen.

Vigneault fired.

Vancouver Canucks GM Mike Gillis didn’t mince words during his postseason press conference, calling the team’s 2012-13 campaign a “terrible season” after their ouster at the hands of the San Jose Sharks in Round 1.

"We’re going to have to reinvent ourselves and do things differently in order to be successful. The macro look at this team is that changes have to be made,” said Gillis.

On Wednesday, changes were made: According to Louis Jean of TVA, head coach Alain Vigneault and assistant coaches Rick Bowness and Newell Brown were all fired by Gillis in a massive house cleaning for the franchise.

It was later confirmed by the Canucks:

“We have made the very difficult decision to relieve Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness and Newell Brown of their coaching duties today,” said Canucks President and General Manager, Michael D. Gillis. “Alain, Rick and Newell worked tirelessly to lead this team to great on-ice success. I am personally grateful to each of them and their families for their commitment to the Canucks and the city of Vancouver and wish them continued success in future.”

Vigneault coached the Canucks from 2006-2013, winning 313 games. He captured the Jack Adams in 2006-07, and coached Vancouver to the playoffs in six of those seasons, including that Stanley Cup Final loss to the Boston Bruins in seven games.

But he guided the team to back-to-back first-round playoff losses over the last two seasons, as the Canucks were humbled by both the Los Angeles Kings and the San Jose Sharks. Vancouver’s offense went stone cold in both series.

The Canucks were viewed as a Stanley Cup contender in both seasons; they didn’t come close either time, and Vigneault was reportedly shown the door.

There are likely as many fans who called for the head of Gillis as called for the head of AV. The notion of total regime change for Vancouver probably didn’t make sense to ownership, who see the window still open for this edition of the Canucks to win. But the mismanagement by Gills – being too focused on the blue line, adding offensive pieces that didn't pan out – is as much a factor in Vancouver’s underwhelming results as anything the coach did.

But it’s Vigneault who was always going to pay the price for that. He won’t be out of work long, with both the Dallas Stars and Colorado Avalanche openings a possibility for his next move. And what about a Chicago Wolves reunion with Craig MacTavish in Edmonton, if the Oilers decided to make a change?

As for the Canucks: If they’re “win now,” and one assumes they are, could the next move be former Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff? What about Toronto Marlies coach Dallas Eakins, who is now allowed to listen to offers with the AHL team’s season over? Would they turn to Guy Boucher, recently dropped by the Tampa Bay Lightning?

Here's an idea: Perhaps it's time to add the Canucks to the Dave Tippett Watch, if the veteran coach doesn't remain with the Phoenix Coyotes?

And hey, if the Canucks ever decide to upgrade the GM spot: Don Maloney. Just sayin'.

The bottom line: Roberto Luongo outlasted Alain Vigneault in Vancouver.

Who saw that coming?

5/22/2013 6:08 PM
◂ Prev 1...194|195|196|197|198...213 Next ▸
Canucks Thread - We Still Believe Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.