Is the SEC better top to bottom than other conf? Topic

This thread is now officially the SEC vs other conferences thread.
9/16/2012 11:34 PM (edited)
Going back to week 1, Michigan is not a very good football team as displayed against Bama and Air Force. Week 2, ULM over Arkansas actually looked impressive especially the 550 total yards they racked up and even the SEC commentators said ULM played SEC ball? 
9/10/2012 7:47 AM
Big 10 layed a big egg in week 2, went 6-6 with the best OOC win against Vanderbilt.  Pretty f'ing sad for the Big 10
9/11/2012 12:18 AM
Posted by cravedogg on 9/11/2012 12:18:00 AM (view original):
Big 10 layed a big egg in week 2, went 6-6 with the best OOC win against Vanderbilt.  Pretty f'ing sad for the Big 10
Yep, but at least they didn't lose to Louisiana Monroe
9/11/2012 6:34 AM
The one thing this poor guy can be proud of.

LA-Monroe isn't an FCS school, but he's right no Big 10 team has lost to LA Monroe.
They aren't on any Big 10 schedules, but hey why let that stop his moment in the sun.

LA Monroe also beat Alabama back in 2007, but I don't believe App St has beaten an SEC team yet.
9/11/2012 7:04 AM
Louisiana Monroe has never had a record above .500 in FBS (or DIA before the name change).  Sure the Big Ten had a bad weekend, but none of the 6 losses were to a team that has never had a winning season.  And Iowa was the only team to lose at home and that was to its rival from the Big 12.  The other losses were all on the road to Big 6 conference teams or Notre Dame.  Definitely a bad weekend, but no absolutely horrible losses ala "top ten" Arkansas losing at home to perhaps the worst team in the worst conference in FBS.
9/11/2012 10:43 AM (edited)
The Big 10 is ****.  End of story.
9/11/2012 11:29 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/11/2012 11:29:00 AM (view original):
The Big 10 is ****.  End of story.
This.
9/11/2012 11:42 AM
I wonder if, when James Madison beat Virginia Tech a couple years back, the Hokies were consoled by the fact that at least the whole conference didn't suck?

At least Michigan St looks like a real team.

And remember Arkansas was also the first SEC team to lose to Ohio State in a bowl game in quite some time (like a decade or something), so I don't know why anyone would think they were a top 10 team after they proved they could be beaten by just about anyone.

Also the Big Ten upsets were to Oregon St who was 3-9 last season, Arizona 4-8, and UCLA 6-8 after being allowed to play in a bowl game with a losing record.

I guess haters are gonna hate no matter how things are going in there own back yard.
9/11/2012 1:58 PM (edited)
No doubt Arkansas fans should be embarrassed.  I am embarassed for them.  I knew when they annouced John L Smith was going to coach this season it would lead to bad things.  John L Smith has no business coaching at Arkansas.  I wonder if he will even survive the season.  Arkansas will get a good coach for next season, that is too good of a job.

But Arkansas losing to LA Monroe has nothing to do with the **** poor Big 10.  Lets not get the situations confused.  Arkansas doesn't play in the Big 10 nor do any of the Big 10 schools play in the SEC.  Two completely different situations.

Facts are facts, the Big 10 has been playing the role of "Little Sister" for a number of years now.  The SEC is setting the BAR for college football, it is not even disputable.  6 straight national titles and more than likely Alabama or LSU will be playing in the title game again this year.  USC and Oregon are the only two teams that have a shot at beating the SEC in the national title game this season.  The best team in the Big 10 is Ohio State and they will be home sniffing glue in Dec and Jan.  Michigan State doesn't have enough athletes and the ACC schools will eventually get exposed for their lack of defensive capability.
9/11/2012 1:58 PM
Posted by jjohn45 on 9/10/2012 7:47:00 AM (view original):
Going back to week 1, Michigan is not a very good football team as displayed against Bama and Air Force. Week 2, ULM over Arkansas actually looked impressive especially the 550 total yards they racked up and even the SEC commentators said ULM played SEC ball? 
This is more along the lines of what I had in mind when I asked for feedback.

I guess it is inevitable that any quality wins thread will devolve into a pis-sing contest between SEC and Big 10 fans.

As to jjohn45's comments: You may be absolutely right. Michigan struggling to beat an AF team that didn't beat a single team with a winning record last year may be indicative of them not really being a quality win. I just feel like 27 point victory at a neutral site, against a pre-season top 10 team was pretty solid. Time will tell.

UL- Monroe could very well be the best win this season, even if Arky lost their starting QB for the entire second half and was playing without their starting fullback. This was a defensive let down and Kolton Browning made them look silly.

9/11/2012 2:14 PM
Pretty simple, some Big 10 fans are delusional in thinking their conference actually has a shot at winning a national title.  Ohio State is the best team in the conference and they couldn't even sniff an Alabama or LSU jock strap
9/11/2012 2:46 PM
What Big 10 fans thought a team had a shot at a national title this year?  Now admittedly I was surprised Wisconsin lost to Oregon State (the other losses not surprising at all) as I thought with Ball and that big OL, Wiscy would be a 10/11 win team team this year, but I don't believe anyone thought a Big 10 team would have a realistic shot at the national championship this year.  

Oh and for the record the Big 10 and SEC are 19-19 against each other in bowl games in the BCS era.  The conferences aren't nearly as far apart as the SEC fans want people to believe.

9/11/2012 3:32 PM
Yeah, over the last 5-6 years, they kinda are.
9/11/2012 3:37 PM
Posted by moranis on 9/11/2012 3:34:00 PM (view original):
What Big 10 fans thought a team had a shot at a national title this year?  Now admittedly I was surprised Wisconsin lost to Oregon State (the other losses not surprising at all) as I thought with Ball and that big OL, Wiscy would be a 10/11 win team team this year, but I don't believe anyone thought a Big 10 team would have a realistic shot at the national championship this year.  

Oh and for the record the Big 10 and SEC are 19-19 against each other in bowl games in the BCS era.  The conferences aren't nearly as far apart as the SEC fans want people to believe.

And what has that landed the Big 10?  1 National Title and a split Title.

I am an Ohio State grad am absolutely fed up with the Big 10 and the fan base for accepting a brand of football that is terrible.  I am hopeful Urban Meyer is changing the culture at OSU to buck the Big Ten trend and it appears his recruiting got the ball rolling.  I loved it when the Wisconsin coaching staff cried foul because Urban Meyer pick off some recruits.  I hope the trend continues.  It almost reminded me of the early days of WIS, where coaches figured once they had a recruit leaning their way they could lay claim to the recruit.  But it goes beyond recruiting.  It is time for the Big 10 schools to stop being so friendly. 
9/11/2012 4:16 PM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Is the SEC better top to bottom than other conf? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.