Is the SEC better top to bottom than other conf? Topic

Moranis, you keep saying it is only a couple teams dominating in the SEC.  You realize in the BCS Era that 5 different SEC Teams have won the BCS Championship -- Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, LSU, and Alabama.  And in that same period Georgia won the conference but did not play for a national title and in addition Auburn went undefeated one season but had to watch USC blowout an over rated Oklahoma team.  The SEC is deep, lots of talent and it is more than a 2 horse wagon.  Here is another statistic, during the BCS ERA 10 different SEC teams have played in the SEC Title game.  

9/12/2012 1:35 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 9/12/2012 1:35:00 PM (view original):

Moranis, you keep saying it is only a couple teams dominating in the SEC.  You realize in the BCS Era that 5 different SEC Teams have won the BCS Championship -- Tennessee, Auburn, Florida, LSU, and Alabama.  And in that same period Georgia won the conference but did not play for a national title and in addition Auburn went undefeated one season but had to watch USC blowout an over rated Oklahoma team.  The SEC is deep, lots of talent and it is more than a 2 horse wagon.  Here is another statistic, during the BCS ERA 10 different SEC teams have played in the SEC Title game.  

Yes, but they go through cycles which is what i was saying.  In any given year there are 2 SEC teams that are elite and the rest of the conference is so so (maybe a third team is very good/borderline elite).  The two elite teams vary from year to year, but it still is that way.  I mean look at Auburn.  That team is a bad team this year but won the title with Cam two years ago.  In any given season you don't necessarily know who the elite teams are going to be, but you do know the middle is only going to be average, but will be elevated to awesome status by the mere fact they play in the SEC.  It is a significantly overhyped conference on the whole from the top to bottom.

Here is an article from a month ago, which talks about that point.

http://www.thepostgame.com/commentary/201208/better-without-em-northern-manifesto-southern-secession-chuck-thompson-sec-bcs
9/12/2012 1:56 PM
They do go through cycles but the SEC Dominance has been a very long cycle. 
9/12/2012 2:30 PM
The problem is if it's 1v1, 2v2 and so on down the line, there is a real chance the B10 goes 0-12 against the SEC.   Now, if one wants to argue "Yeah but our 1 is better than your 5", they might have a point.   But it's a weak argument to make.
9/12/2012 4:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/12/2012 4:35:00 PM (view original):
The problem is if it's 1v1, 2v2 and so on down the line, there is a real chance the B10 goes 0-12 against the SEC.   Now, if one wants to argue "Yeah but our 1 is better than your 5", they might have a point.   But it's a weak argument to make.
that is just silly and proves my point.
9/12/2012 5:27 PM
Posted by moranis on 9/12/2012 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/12/2012 4:35:00 PM (view original):
that is just silly and proves my point.
Since this is now the Big 10 vs SEC thread, let's imagine:

LSU 12-0 vs Wisconsin 11-2  (Both teams lost their respective bowl games, LSU by 21 vs (11-1) Alabama. Wisconsin by 7 to (11-2) Oregon)

Alabama 11-1 vs Michigan 10-2 (Both teams won their respective bowl games, Bama shutout (12-0) LSU, Michigan squeaked by (11-2) VA Tech in OT)

Arkansas 11-1 vs Michigan St 10-3 (Both teams won their respective bowl games, Arky beat (10-2) Kansas ST by 13, Michigan St squeaked by (10-3) GA in 3OT)

South Carolina 10-2 vs Nebraska 9-3 (Actually played each other S Carolina won 30 -13)

Georgia 10-3 vs Penn St 9-3 (Both teams lost their respective bowl games, Georgia to (10-3) Mich St in 3OT, Penn St to (12-1) Houston by 16)

Auburn 7-5 vs Iowa 7-5 (Auburn won their bowl game by 19 over (8-4) Virginia. Iowa lost theirs by 17 vs (9-3) Oklahoma)

Florida 6-6 vs Ohio St 6-6 (Actually played each other Florida won 24-17)

Mississippi St 6-6 vs Northwestern 6-6 (Mississippi State won their bowl game by 6 over (6-6) Wake Forest. Northwestern lost theirs by 11 to (6-6) Texas A&M)

Vanderbilt 6-6 vs Illinois 6-6 (Vandy lost their bowl game by 7 to (9-3) Cincinnati. Illinois won theirs by 6 over (6-7) UCLA)

Kentucky 5-7 vs Purdue 6-6 (Purdue won their bowl game by 5 vs (7-5) Western Michigan. Kentucky didn't go bowling)

Tennessee 5-7 vs Minnesota 3-9

Mississippi 2-10 vs Indiana 1-11

I am not seeing a bunch of wins for the Big 10 under this scenario. Probably not 0-12, but not more than 3 wins IMO.

9/12/2012 9:23 PM
It's really not silly.  Perhaps the B10 starts winning a game here and there around #7-8 but they're clearly overmatched in the top 5.   Clearly.
9/12/2012 9:28 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/11/2012 11:29:00 AM (view original):
The Big 10 is ****.  End of story.
This is the most accurate statement in the thread.
9/13/2012 12:10 AM
I think right now I would say the following

SEC -- Sets the Bar for All of College Football

B1G -- Trending downward.  Conference appears to actually be getting worse overall.

Big12 -- Maintaining (nothing great, nothing bad, still producing a solid product)

PAC12 -- Trending Up.  The resurgence of USC is a huge boost and middle tier programs appear to be on the rise

ACC -- Trending downward.  Has a chance to prove otherwise but until it happens the ACC is on the downward spiral.

BigEast -- Who knows, who cares.  Conference is in panic mode and an absolute train wreck.
9/13/2012 8:00 AM
Posted by cravedogg on 9/13/2012 8:00:00 AM (view original):
I think right now I would say the following

SEC -- Sets the Bar for All of College Football

B1G -- Trending downward.  Conference appears to actually be getting worse overall.

Big12 -- Maintaining (nothing great, nothing bad, still producing a solid product)

PAC12 -- Trending Up.  The resurgence of USC is a huge boost and middle tier programs appear to be on the rise

ACC -- Trending downward.  Has a chance to prove otherwise but until it happens the ACC is on the downward spiral.

BigEast -- Who knows, who cares.  Conference is in panic mode and an absolute train wreck.
I have to agree with this.

9/13/2012 2:55 PM
The B1G has to get Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Wisconsin going in the right direction.  Mainly because these are the biggest brands for B1G football besides Penn State (which is a long ways from doing anything positive for the B1G).  I don't think a school like Michigan State can carry the torch for the B1G, their brand isn't big enough and their talent will always be top 15 to 25 ish.

The good news Ohio State is very close to being back.  OSU will be a preseason top 10 team next season, maybe top 5.  Michigan has a lot of pieces in place but still lacking depth of talent.  Nebraska has a solid 1st string, but very thin after the first 22.  Pelini isn't going to survive at Nebraska at the rate he is going, expectations are too high in Lincoln.  Wisconsin is an enigma, their style of football wins B1G games but they seem to struggle outside the conference.  Personally, I think Wisconsin football needs to develop more of edge instead of acting like the hand shake guy at Walmart.
9/13/2012 4:02 PM
Nebraska's problem is they have players and really only know how to recruit players to play in the Big 12, which is a way different brand of football than the Big 10.  And yeah the Big 10 is opening it up a bit, but it will always still have that power football feel because you have to play way that in the cold, which all of the schools play in (even Minnesota no longer plays in a dome).  So Nebraska has much smaller and faster players and those guys just get crushed by the bigger stronger teams in the Big 10 (and would  by the SEC teams as well).  I think they can turn it around, they will just have to recruit differently. 

Ohio State took a pretty big hit with the whole Tressel scandal, but a school like that will not stay down very long and Urban appears like he is going to land a monster class next year with already commits from a number of 4 borderline 5 star recruits for next year (3 in the top 50 with 3 more top 50 having OSU in their top 3).  And for all the crap Ohio State got for the two title games, a lot of that was blown out of proportion, especially that LSU game where LSU was playing essentially at home and was a much older and more experienced team (in addition a couple of awful penalties right at the start of the second half changed that game significantly).  OSU played an awful game against Florida, but I really think Urban just made Tress his *****.  OSU had one of the worst game plans I have ever seen in that game and the game got away from them very early and they just couldn't recover against a team like Florida.

Michigan appears to be on the right track and Hoke seems to be doing a pretty solid job.  Michigan has to get back to relevance in a hurry, but they are still a year or two away.

Wisconsin and Michigan State (and Iowa needs to get back there), need to stay at the level they are at, but the reality is they will never be consistent national title contenders, but should always have a say in the division titles (whether they are winning the division or knocking off teams).  They are essentially Georgia.  Every once in awhile a truly elite team, but generally just a pretty damn good team with the very occasional bad year.
9/13/2012 10:06 PM
Nebraska lost their sex appeal in regards to the elite recruits.  Nebraska use to be able to get the 4 and 5 star recruits out of Texas and California and it isn't happening anymore.  I think Michigan is still a long ways away from being a top program.  Pull back the sheets on their most recent recruiting classes that are supposedly ranked very high and you find out they lack playmakers and monsters. 

I would put Georgia well above Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State.  Georgia is loaded with NFL talent and has put a lot of players in the NFL.  Just from a recruiting standpoint the state of Georgia is amongst the top 5 states in the country for high school recruits.  I think Georgia is more of a coaching issue.  Mark Richt is too easy going for the job.  Georgia will get smart at some point and go hire a top notch coach and when they do it could be electric.  Georgia has everything in place to be a consistent powerhouse conference, they just need a better coaching staff
9/14/2012 12:52 AM
My comment wasn't necessarily a state of which program was better, but I meant it from a historical standpoint.  You are probably correct about Richt, but the reality is no matter who their coach has been, Georgia has never been a consistent national title contender (even under Dooley they only managed one truly elite 3 yr stretch 80-82).  Sure it has an elite season every so often, but by and large through its history it just hasn't been able to reach consistent elite status.
9/14/2012 6:27 AM
The landscape of CFB changed several years ago.    There were 3-4 games on TV per week.   If you wanted to be in one of those, ND was the place.   Beyond that, Michigan, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Nebraska and USC.   You might get the occassional Alabama or Tennessee game.    Now you get virtually every game that has some meaning and even many of those that don't.    So, you're 19 and exposure is no longer an issue.    Where would you prefer to spend your winters?   Somewhere where it gets above freezing about 5 hours per day or where 3 days of 65 degree lows is a cold front?  The ONLY thing keeping the midwest relevant now are scholarship limits. 
9/14/2012 9:22 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
Is the SEC better top to bottom than other conf? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.