Auburn just lost to Arkansas.  I'm not sure I'd call them "good competition".   

LSU has the talent but something is wrong.    They might figure it out and crush SC this weekend.   Or they might not and get blown out at home.   And that will end their season.
10/8/2012 8:12 AM
LSU is struggling, but they have a clear path to prove themselves.  They get South Carolina at home this weekend, a win against South Carolina puts LSU back in the top 5.  A lost and LSU drops to the 15 to 20 range.  Then LSU gets Alabama.  I don't see LSU winning this game at all but if they beat Alabama and beat South Carolina LSU at that point would be the #1 team in the country.

Lots of great football games left on the schedule and the SEC is going to have its own little tourney. 

USC also has a path to get back in the national title game.  If they win out meaning they beat Oregon and then win PAC10 title game, USC is probably playing for the naitonal title.  They would vault over any team from the Big12.

Notre Dame controls their own destiny as well.  If Notre Dame wins out they will be playing in the big game, but their remaining schedule is tough.

A lot can happen this year and it will not suprise me if we have two 1 loss teams playing for the national title.
10/8/2012 12:16 PM
A lot has to happen for LSU to get to number 1.  Just beating SC and AL won't do it. 

Oregon, Florida, ND and WV would all have to lose a game, maybe 2.   Of course, all that is possible but LSU needs help. 
10/8/2012 12:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/7/2012 6:25:00 PM (view original):
WV and Kansas State are ****.    Good teams in ****** conferences.   Both would get steamrolled by half a dozen teams. 
I actually think Kansas State can compete with anyone in the country.  They have a pretty solid defense and can put up points with the best of them.  I certainly wouldn't favor them against the Alabama's of the world, but I don't think they get blown out either.  This is after all a more experienced version of the 10 win team from last year.

West Virginia seems to be Mr. Smith and pretty much only Mr. Smith.  They are essentially a slightly better version of Michigan with Shoelace.  They can't stop anyone, but if Geno is rolling he is hard to shut down so they will score some points.  A team like Alabama though I could see easily destroying them consistently, you know something like 56-28 with regularity and as such they have no real shot at the title game.

10/8/2012 2:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/8/2012 12:24:00 PM (view original):
A lot has to happen for LSU to get to number 1.  Just beating SC and AL won't do it. 

Oregon, Florida, ND and WV would all have to lose a game, maybe 2.   Of course, all that is possible but LSU needs help. 
I will bet you anything if LSU beats SC and Bama they go right to the number 1 spot.  There only lost right now is to the team that is number 1 in the computers (Florida)
10/8/2012 3:17 PM
Posted by moranis on 10/8/2012 2:53:00 PM (view original):
WV and Kansas State are ****.    Good teams in ****** conferences.   Both would get steamrolled by half a dozen teams. 
I actually think Kansas State can compete with anyone in the country.  They have a pretty solid defense and can put up points with the best of them.  I certainly wouldn't favor them against the Alabama's of the world, but I don't think they get blown out either.  This is after all a more experienced version of the 10 win team from last year.

West Virginia seems to be Mr. Smith and pretty much only Mr. Smith.  They are essentially a slightly better version of Michigan with Shoelace.  They can't stop anyone, but if Geno is rolling he is hard to shut down so they will score some points.  A team like Alabama though I could see easily destroying them consistently, you know something like 56-28 with regularity and as such they have no real shot at the title game.

I like Kansas State a lot because they play a very physical brand of football, they actually look like a SEC team on offense.  I am just not sure they have enough playmakers to beat one of the Elite teams.  The tough part about Kansas State is evaulating their talent because of the number of JUCO kids they have.  Bill Snyder is the great college coach at getting JUCO kids to perform at a high level.  Historically a lot of the JUCO kids fail at the D1 level.
10/8/2012 3:21 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 10/8/2012 3:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 10/8/2012 2:53:00 PM (view original):

I like Kansas State a lot because they play a very physical brand of football, they actually look like a SEC team on offense.  I am just not sure they have enough playmakers to beat one of the Elite teams.  The tough part about Kansas State is evaulating their talent because of the number of JUCO kids they have.  Bill Snyder is the great college coach at getting JUCO kids to perform at a high level.  Historically a lot of the JUCO kids fail at the D1 level.
The next couple of weeks should be a pretty good gauge of Kansas State as they are at Iowa State and at West Virginia back to back.  If they get by those weeks, they should get to 9-0 before closing at TCU, at Baylor, and home with Texas. 

I actually think they have a pretty good shot at going unbeaten, which I think will put them in the title game against the winner of the SEC (I can't see Oregon beating USC twice and they aren't going to do a SEC rematch when there is a major conference unbeaten).  That said KSU could certainly lose next week at Iowa state, which is a tough place to play and against at least a decent team.
10/8/2012 3:40 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 10/8/2012 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/8/2012 12:24:00 PM (view original):

I will bet you anything if LSU beats SC and Bama they go right to the number 1 spot.  There only lost right now is to the team that is number 1 in the computers (Florida)

So you think they jump Florida(who beat them), Oregon(who has been 2/3 all year), Notre Dame(who seems to get more poll love than anyone) and West Virginia(you mght be right)?

Yeah, I don't see that. 

10/8/2012 4:04 PM
My new rankings:

1. Alabama
2. Oregon -- Bama and the Ducks are the best NCG bets and would be a hell of a game
3. South Carolina
4. Florida  -- SCar and the Gators have proven they can ball with anyone
5. West Virginia -- one man show but so was Cam Newton
6. Kansas State
7. Notre Dame
8. Oregon State -- KState, the Irish, and the Beavers have done well so far but I am, as of yet, unconvinced that any of them could be undefeated at the end of the year
9. Ohio State -- best team in a crappy conference
10. Georgia -- best one loss team in the country... sorry LSU, USC, Oklahoma, et al.
10/9/2012 4:04 PM
Posted by moranis on 10/7/2012 9:28:00 AM (view original):
Here are mine at this point.

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. South Carolina
4. Florida
5. Kansas State
6. Oregon State
7. Notre Dame
8. Ohio State
9. West Virginia
10. Rutgers
And that is why I had West Virginia at 9 last week.  No defense and a one player offense. 

Updated Rankings just before the BCS comes out

1. Alabama
2. Oregon
3. Florida
4. Kansas State
5. Oregon State
6. Notre Dame
7. Louisiana State
8. Ohio State
9. Rutgers
10. South Carolina

And again this doesn't necessarily mean that I think Rutgers would beat South Carolina, merely based on the season where I believe they should be ranked.
10/14/2012 11:58 AM
1. Alabama ~ Still THE team to beat.
2. Kansas State ~ Great quarterback & a stout defense.. How far can they go?
3. Oregon ~ They lost to Auburn 2 years back & they lost to LSU last year.. I don't see this year's team coming that close to beating 'Bama.
4. Notre Dame ~ They've got a chip on their shoulder & have something to prove.
5. Florida ~ This team will meet an angry South Carolina team that, like LSU, will likely get a revenge win after losing.
6. Oregon State ~ They put on a show without their starting quarterback against a defense that's no pushover.
7. Mississippi State ~ Could be a bit of a sleeper this year. Could they pull off THE signature upset of the year?
8. Ohio State ~ Indiana gave them a fight. Was that the REAL Buckeyes? A confusing squad this year.
9. Rutgers ~ All they're doing is winning. They're in the Big East.. There's a chance of going undefeated.
10. Cincinnati ~ Here's Rutgers' main test.

I'm not saying that all of these teams are better than the 1 loss teams that I've ranked them ahead of. Next week I'll re-evaluate & put the 1 loss teams in the Top 10 if I see them as being deserving over an undefeated team. I'm a big fan making major adjustments to my rankings along the way.. I think it makes for a better end of the year result when you can adjust along the way rather than forming concrete opinions early that linger, no matter performance.
10/14/2012 8:00 PM
Simply may be of interest to some:

Cincy is 5-0 with 2 of their 5 wins vs FCS schools, and they have yet to play a game on the road. Ithink they are going to fall from the ranks of the undefeated pretty soon, and I think Louisville is better and more deserving than the Bearcats at this point.

Cincy  travels to Toledo next week and then to Louisville the following week, I expect them to lose to Louisville, though they might get by Toledo who hasn't really beaten anyone of note.

Mississippi St has beaten Auburn and Tennessee, I don't know which is more "impressive", but one of those two is their signature win so far this season. They have MTSU next week followed by a 3 game stretch where they will likely go 0-3. On the road at Alabama, home vs A&M and then on the road vs LSU.

Rutgers could very well win out. They have cupcakes for the most part (Temple, Kent St and Army) before ending with a 3 game stretch that begins on the road vs Cincinnati and Pitt and then returning home for their finale vs Louisville (likely with the Big East title on the line).

Notre Dame seems to be for real. They have a defense better than most in the country, and a schedule that can definitely allow them the opportunity to play for all the marbles come January. They play BYU next week. Then they travel to Norman and if they beat Oklahoma will be all but guaranteed a BCS game. Not a bunch of great teams on their schedule (Pitt, BC, WF) afterwards, but they do end the season AT USC. So definitely a solid schedule considering they've already beaten Michigan, Michigan St and Stanford.

Oregon St is 5-0 with 4 of those Ws coming against teams that are .500 or better. They still have games vs Arizona St, AT Stanford and vs Oregon, so they are definitely a legitimate team still in the hunt.
10/14/2012 8:55 PM
ND gets a BCS bid as long as their are at least competitive with USC and Oklahoma and don't lose to anyone else.   Competitive road losses to both those teams wouldn't be enough to knock them out of the Top 14 at 10-2, and if they are eligible, they are going to get a bid.
10/14/2012 9:36 PM
Posted by gregsimon on 10/14/2012 8:56:00 PM (view original):
Simply may be of interest to some:

Cincy is 5-0 with 2 of their 5 wins vs FCS schools, and they have yet to play a game on the road. Ithink they are going to fall from the ranks of the undefeated pretty soon, and I think Louisville is better and more deserving than the Bearcats at this point.

Cincy  travels to Toledo next week and then to Louisville the following week, I expect them to lose to Louisville, though they might get by Toledo who hasn't really beaten anyone of note.

Mississippi St has beaten Auburn and Tennessee, I don't know which is more "impressive", but one of those two is their signature win so far this season. They have MTSU next week followed by a 3 game stretch where they will likely go 0-3. On the road at Alabama, home vs A&M and then on the road vs LSU.

Rutgers could very well win out. They have cupcakes for the most part (Temple, Kent St and Army) before ending with a 3 game stretch that begins on the road vs Cincinnati and Pitt and then returning home for their finale vs Louisville (likely with the Big East title on the line).

Notre Dame seems to be for real. They have a defense better than most in the country, and a schedule that can definitely allow them the opportunity to play for all the marbles come January. They play BYU next week. Then they travel to Norman and if they beat Oklahoma will be all but guaranteed a BCS game. Not a bunch of great teams on their schedule (Pitt, BC, WF) afterwards, but they do end the season AT USC. So definitely a solid schedule considering they've already beaten Michigan, Michigan St and Stanford.

Oregon St is 5-0 with 4 of those Ws coming against teams that are .500 or better. They still have games vs Arizona St, AT Stanford and vs Oregon, so they are definitely a legitimate team still in the hunt.
Cincinnati beat Virginia Tech in Washington D.C.  Pretty much a road game. 
10/15/2012 6:19 AM
If Notre Dame loses to Oklahoma and USC they will not be in a BCS bowl. 
10/15/2012 10:57 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...16 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.