Ohio State will attempt to play 12 BCS teams... Topic

Ohio State's athletic director last week said starting in 2018, Ohio State will try to schedule all 4 non-con games against BCS conference opponents.  The intent is to always ensure OSU's schedule will not keep it out of a 4 team playoff.  The plan is to play 1 top ten caliber opponent, two top 30 or 40 type programs, and one other BCS conference opponent.  If they can't get the games schedule then they would schedule MAC teams, but that would be a last resort. 

Do you think the school will actually do it and if so will other top tier schools follow a similar strategy?

10/21/2012 12:38 PM
considering how much the Big10 sucks right now I think it is very doable.  if they were in the pac10, big12, or sec I would say it is suicide. 
10/21/2012 4:55 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 10/21/2012 4:55:00 PM (view original):
considering how much the Big10 sucks right now I think it is very doable.  if they were in the pac10, big12, or sec I would say it is suicide. 
sucks right now = sucks 6 years from now

when did that happen?

10/22/2012 10:31 AM
I would like to see it. Its better than them playing Youngstown St....

I propose the following rule:

You are free to schedule anyone you want but if you play a 1AA team during the season you are not eligible for the 4 team playoff.

Does that mean everyone will schedule top notch opponents? Maybe not but at least there will be some better games going on. I think that even if you played to other top 40 teams and 2 lesser conference schools its still a step up from what a lot of teams do.

10/22/2012 10:50 AM
In fairness to the big schools, the rash of playing FCS teams happened pretty much after the mandate of the 12 game schedule...Michigan never really did it til App State...

With that said, FBS teams shouldn't be playing FCS teams period
10/22/2012 2:56 PM
Ohio State has added home and away games with Oregon in 2020 and 2021 adding to the long list of future BCS conference opponents.  Most of these games have been scheduled for awhile and the non-con just has two openings from now through 2016 (one next year and one in 2015).  The Big Ten is also supposedly going to a 9 game conference schedule beginning in 2017 though that may still change.

2013 - @ California
2014 - Virginia Tech, Cincinnati
2015 - @ Virginia Tech, North Carolina
2016 - @ Oklahoma
2017 - Oklahoma, @ North Carolina
2018 - @ Texas Christian, Cincinnati (this is the year it wants only BCS opponents)
2019 - Texas Christian
2020 - @ Oregon
2021 - Oregon
2022 - @ Texas
2023 - Texas
10/23/2012 5:22 PM
Posted by moranis on 10/22/2012 10:31:00 AM (view original):

when did that happen?

I don't know if the Big 10 is going to be any better in 6 years from now.  The conference is trending downward right now, not sure when it will hit rock bottom.  Ohio State will be the premier team in a weak conference for quite some time.  I got a feeling Saban is going to set a whole new standard of excellence at Alabama, he might go on the greatest run that we will have ever witnessed in college football.
10/24/2012 6:13 AM
Posted by cravedogg on 10/24/2012 6:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 10/22/2012 10:31:00 AM (view original):

when did that happen?

I don't know if the Big 10 is going to be any better in 6 years from now.  The conference is trending downward right now, not sure when it will hit rock bottom.  Ohio State will be the premier team in a weak conference for quite some time.  I got a feeling Saban is going to set a whole new standard of excellence at Alabama, he might go on the greatest run that we will have ever witnessed in college football.
No doubt the Big Ten is having a bad year, but I'm not sure it is trending downward as a whole.  Sure Penn State is going to be bad for awhile, but Michigan seems to be going in the right direction (more slowly than it probably should be, on the whole the right way), I don't recall a time when Michigan State has been this good for this long, Wisconsin usually has a bad season every so often (this is that year), Nebraska seems to be improving (again more slowly than perhaps it should), and even teams like Northwestern are better than usual.  Obviously Ohio State is still the cream and this year that isn't saying much, but I would be surprised if the Big Ten didn't take a huge step forward next year and if Ohio State wasn't a legit national championship contender. 
10/24/2012 10:23 AM
How do you figure Michigan is doing better?  I would say Brady Hoke is a over hyped.  He seems to forget Defense is a part of the game as well.  Nebraska, Penn State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State all seem to be having bad seasons by their normal standard.  The only thing positive in the Big 10 right now is Ohio State and I think that could be the trend for quite some time.  Here are my predictions over the next 5 years in the Big 10.

Ohio State - Urban Meyer will win a National Title
Michigan St - will be hiring a new coach because CoachD will be taking a better job somewhere else
Michigan - Brady Hoke proves to be a 9 to 10 win coach, but never puts it all together
Wisconsin - recruiting drops a little bit because CoachB won't be able to adjust to new aggresive recruiting that Urban Meyer brings to the SEC
Nebraska - fires Bo Pelini within 3 seasons, he just isn't getting it done on the recruiting trail
Penn State - completely tanks as a program, they are far from Rock Bottom right now and it will be an ugly downward spiral
Northwestern - actually improves and starts winning 9 to 10 games per season
Iowa - hires a new coach, but the talent level is really suffering
Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota - don't even register on the radar
10/28/2012 9:57 AM
Posted by moranis on 10/23/2012 5:22:00 PM (view original):
Ohio State has added home and away games with Oregon in 2020 and 2021 adding to the long list of future BCS conference opponents.  Most of these games have been scheduled for awhile and the non-con just has two openings from now through 2016 (one next year and one in 2015).  The Big Ten is also supposedly going to a 9 game conference schedule beginning in 2017 though that may still change.

2013 - @ California
2014 - Virginia Tech, Cincinnati
2015 - @ Virginia Tech, North Carolina
2016 - @ Oklahoma
2017 - Oklahoma, @ North Carolina
2018 - @ Texas Christian, Cincinnati (this is the year it wants only BCS opponents)
2019 - Texas Christian
2020 - @ Oregon
2021 - Oregon
2022 - @ Texas
2023 - Texas
Home and Away with Boston College added to 2020-1.  Presumably Oregon is the top ten team and Boston College is one of the top 30-40 teams Ohio State wants to play each year for that 2 year period.

San Diego State was added to 2013 to replace Vanderbilt who pussed out.  San Diego State is in the Big East next year, so I guess that game counts no matter how weak it is.

11/5/2012 3:46 PM (edited)
Vandy and Tennessee both withdrew from playing Ohio State.  I don't know why but there is discussion the SEC might go to 9 conference games and if that happens I doubt any of the SEC teams are going to be playing OSU during the regular season
11/5/2012 4:58 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/5/2012 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Vandy and Tennessee both withdrew from playing Ohio State.  I don't know why but there is discussion the SEC might go to 9 conference games and if that happens I doubt any of the SEC teams are going to be playing OSU during the regular season
Yep.  That is actually why Ohio State and Georgia aren't playing as well.  OSU was worried about a 9 game Big Ten schedule and just never sent a letter to Georgia with dates and thus their agreement expired.  OSU then promptly scheduled Oregon for those dates.  I was a bit confused by that stuff as I would think Oregon would be a more difficult game than Georgia, but maybe OSU wants to go out west for recruiting purposes (hence the games with Cal).
11/5/2012 7:09 PM
granted, the SEC is the toughest conference, but the teams reliance on crap schools for non-conference games is ridiculous
11/5/2012 7:14 PM
Posted by sjstapleton on 11/5/2012 7:14:00 PM (view original):
granted, the SEC is the toughest conference, but the teams reliance on crap schools for non-conference games is ridiculous
I think you blowing it out of proportion, lets look at this season for example

Most of the SEC teams play at lease one major BCS non conference opponent.  I can't blame any of the SEC schools for not wanting to play 2 major BCS non conference opponents because each school needs a certain number of home games and the SEC regular season schedule is as tough as it gets.
11/7/2012 11:20 AM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/7/2012 11:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by sjstapleton on 11/5/2012 7:14:00 PM (view original):
I think you blowing it out of proportion, lets look at this season for example

Most of the SEC teams play at lease one major BCS non conference opponent.  I can't blame any of the SEC schools for not wanting to play 2 major BCS non conference opponents because each school needs a certain number of home games and the SEC regular season schedule is as tough as it gets.
Yep.

Alabama - Michigan
Louisiana State - Washington
Mississippi - Texas
Arkansas - Rutgers
Auburn - Clemson
Florida - Florida State
Georgia - Georgia Tech
South Carolina - Clemson
Vanderbilt - Northwestern, Wake Forest
Missouri - Arizona State, Syracuse
Tennessee - North Carolina State
Kentucky - Louisville

The only two that do not play anyone from a BCS conference in the non-con
Texas A&M - none
Mississippi State - none
11/7/2012 12:14 PM
12 Next ▸
Ohio State will attempt to play 12 BCS teams... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.