Coaching Positions - Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky Topic

The name associated with Arkansas is Gary Patterson.  It will be interesting to see if he leaves TCU for the Arkansas job.  Tennessee fired Dooley yesterday, wonder if they go after Petrino.  Tennessee had a tough time getting Dooley to take the job, wonder who they seek for that position.  Kentucky has supposedly offered the job to Butch Jones at UC, just not sure whyJones would leave UC for what I think is the worst D1A football job in the country at UK.  Last but not least, Auburn very likely to fire Chizik at the end of the season.  Personally this is where I think Patterson is going to end up.  Auburn is a great fit for Patterson.

Lots of possibilities out there right now.
11/19/2012 2:10 PM
Petrino was mentioned for UK.   I think that's the only place in the SEC where he'd get a chance.   That program is horrible.

Tennessee always bounces around big names.  Gruden is out there but I don't know why he'd coach at TN.    They're probably kicking themselves in the nuts for firing Fulmer.

Arkansas might be the best program right now.  Patterson might take that one. 

Auburn is Auburn.  Seems like probation is in their future.
11/19/2012 2:21 PM
Tennessee's problem was not firing Fulmer it was hiring Kiffin and then following that up with Dooley.  Neither was a good coach for that job. 
11/19/2012 2:29 PM
Don't fire coaches until you know who'll replace them.   Of course, Kiffin sort of ****** them over but maybe Al Davis was right.   Kiffin does seem like a weasel. 
11/19/2012 2:31 PM
I think Kiffin would of been successful if he would of stayed because he can recruit.  Book still out on Kiffin at USC but I tend to think he is going to get it done, recruiting is the name of the game and USC recruiting is the best in the country right now.

Tennessee let Fulmer stay too long, they should of fired him earlier.  Tennessee has the brand, facilities, and money to land a big time coach, too bad their AD is an idiot.  I could see Tennessee making a run at Charlie Strong at UofL.  They need to show patience and get a solid hire this time around.

Kentucky Football is in a god awful position, most northern program in the SEC and there just isn't any recruiting base for the program.   Kentucky has better facilities than 80% of all college programs, but it is a basketball school and just not a place where too many kids want to play football.  They will need a lot of luck to land a decent coach,

Arkansas is a very good job, although I think the AD at Arkansas is an idiot.  Who is the heck hires John L Smith as a bandaid? 

Auburn is going to be the top job on the board.  Auburn is one of the best jobs in the country located right in the middle of the recruiting beltway GA/FL/AL.  Any decent coach is going to win at that program.  I see Auburn landing a big time coach
11/19/2012 2:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2012 2:31:00 PM (view original):
Don't fire coaches until you know who'll replace them.   Of course, Kiffin sort of ****** them over but maybe Al Davis was right.   Kiffin does seem like a weasel. 
can't blame Kiffin for taking the USC job, that was a no brainer.  Tennessee did a poor job of managing the exit, they shouldn't allowed Kiffin that much access to the program and players after he announced he was leaving.  Kiffin no doubt got greedy on his way out, but shame on Tennessee for how they handled the situaiton as well
11/19/2012 2:38 PM
The Cincinnati area has a lot of DI talent.  The right coach at Kentucky could make some headway in Cincinnati and get that team to at least respectability rather easily and rather quickly.  The school just doesn't invest in the football program like it should. 
11/19/2012 2:40 PM
James Franklin is going to be a good coach for somebody when he leaves Vandy.    He's a PA guy and a nomadic coach so I can't imagine he's got any deep-rooted ties that would keep him in Nashville.
11/19/2012 2:47 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/19/2012 2:40:00 PM (view original):
The Cincinnati area has a lot of DI talent.  The right coach at Kentucky could make some headway in Cincinnati and get that team to at least respectability rather easily and rather quickly.  The school just doesn't invest in the football program like it should. 
I don't disagree with this, but just not sure Kentucky will ever be able to recruit the Cincy area that well for Football.  They usually get 2 or 3 kid every season.  Cincy is Big 10 country and there seems to be very little interest in the SEC in the area.  Obviously UK can pay Butch Jones a lot more than UC can, but why would he make that move.  Seems to me he would wait for a better job to come along.  And if the SEC ever goes to 9 conference games, then UK is totally screwed, they would never be bowl eligible.
11/19/2012 2:48 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/19/2012 2:47:00 PM (view original):
James Franklin is going to be a good coach for somebody when he leaves Vandy.    He's a PA guy and a nomadic coach so I can't imagine he's got any deep-rooted ties that would keep him in Nashville.
I like Franklin a lot, also think he has a lot to sell at Vandy.  Sort like Northwestern in the Big10.  Come play football here and get a world class education.  That angle is very attractice for a lot of kids and we know Stanford uses that angle to the best of their ability.  Franklin's time at Vandy is probably on thin ice, he will get offers from bigger programs in due time
11/19/2012 2:50 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/19/2012 2:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 11/19/2012 2:40:00 PM (view original):
I don't disagree with this, but just not sure Kentucky will ever be able to recruit the Cincy area that well for Football.  They usually get 2 or 3 kid every season.  Cincy is Big 10 country and there seems to be very little interest in the SEC in the area.  Obviously UK can pay Butch Jones a lot more than UC can, but why would he make that move.  Seems to me he would wait for a better job to come along.  And if the SEC ever goes to 9 conference games, then UK is totally screwed, they would never be bowl eligible.
Yeah UK won't beat out Ohio State for players that Ohio State actually wants in Cincinnati (at least not frequently), but UK can certainly beat out UC, Miami, and the plethora of other teams that recruit in Cincinnati.  And if you do that, your team can get to average rather quickly.  There is just so much talent in Cincinnati that the right coach at any one of the relatively local schools could thrive on landing all of the 3 star kids that OSU just doesn't want and every so often you might just get one of the 4 or 5 star guys to town. 

I don't think Butch Jones leaves UC for UK either, but that would be a very good hire for UK and he is the type of coach that would recruit Cincinnati well and knows how to operate in the city in OSU's shadow.

And I know Cincinnati is a college basketball town (moreso than football), but there are a ton of UK basketball fans in the area.  A respectable football program and some of those basketball fans might actually become UK football fans.
11/19/2012 2:54 PM
I have submitted cravedogg's GD resume as my declaration of interest to all 3 schools.  Wish me luck.
11/19/2012 7:00 PM
I live in Arkansas and the following names have been mentioned:
  • Patterson-rumors have cooled as of late
  • Gundy-supposed rift between Gundy and his AD at Okie St
  • Franklin-
  • Gruden-because we as fans are dulusional
  • Tuberville-quieted since he slapped an AC
  • Davis-nobody is talking about him anymore
  • Mullen-would love him but we assume he's got a non-compete within the SECW

Supposedly, the AD and University Prez have a guy as their #1 target that is totally off the radar of names being discussed.  If they strike out on that person, then the back-up plan is Patterson or Franklin.
11/21/2012 12:59 PM
"Off the radar" is probably Cowher.   He was the Gruden before Gruden.    Of course, he was taking the NC State job a few years back if you listened to Wolfpack fans.
11/21/2012 1:33 PM
Mark Stoops (DC at FSU) has interviewed for the KY job
11/25/2012 12:02 AM
123 Next ▸
Coaching Positions - Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.