Projecting the BCS Bowl Games Topic

BCS Title Game - Notre Dame vs Alabama/Georgia
Orange Bowl - ACC Champ vs Big East Champ
Sugar Bowl - Florida vs Oklahoma
Fiesta Bowl - Kansas St vs Oregon
Rose Bowl - PAC 10 Champ vs Big 10 Champ

I think Florida qualifies automatically since they will be in the top 4 of the BCS rankings so there is no way for the Sugar Bowl to pick LSU over Florida.  Also, since the Fiesta Bowl will get their second pick before the Sugar Bowl I think they will pick Oregon.  After you add up all the SEC teams in the top 8 of the BCS rankings the next highest team is Oklahoma and I definately see the Sugar Bowl grabbing Oklahoma.  Personally I would rather see Oregon play Florida but I doubt we will get to see that matchup.
11/25/2012 12:11 AM
I think you probably have that correct, though it still might be possible for Kent State or Northern Illinois to earn an automatic birth as they are currently 18 and 19 before their game and both are ahead of the Big East Champion.  If they move up to 16 and stay ahead of Louisville/Rutgers then it would get an automatic bid and essentially kick out Oklahoma (the winner probably moves ahead of the UCLA/Stanford loser and could easily jump Boise State with the boost from beating the other).
11/25/2012 10:21 AM
OU-FLA, that will be a great game.
11/25/2012 12:33 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 11/25/2012 12:33:00 PM (view original):
I think it will be a blowout in favor of Oklahoma
11/25/2012 2:40 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/25/2012 10:22:00 AM (view original):
I think you probably have that correct, though it still might be possible for Kent State or Northern Illinois to earn an automatic birth as they are currently 18 and 19 before their game and both are ahead of the Big East Champion.  If they move up to 16 and stay ahead of Louisville/Rutgers then it would get an automatic bid and essentially kick out Oklahoma (the winner probably moves ahead of the UCLA/Stanford loser and could easily jump Boise State with the boost from beating the other).
It would be a travesty if Kent St took a BCS slot away from a team like OU. Kent St was blown out by Kentucky by 33. The same Kentucky that went 0-8 in SEC play, and whose only other win was vs FCS Samford by only 31.

Posted by cravedogg on 11/25/2012 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 11/25/2012 12:33:00 PM (view original):
I think it will be a blowout in favor of Oklahoma
That would be amazing.

11/25/2012 3:52 PM
Yeah Kent State got blown out by Kentucky, but it also went on the road and beat Rutgers who is a win away from a BCS game as the Big East champ, so you certainly could argue they would deserve the spot more than Rutgers.

If Oklahoma hadn't lost at home to KSU it would be in a BCS game anyway (and still might if KSU loses).  I don't really feel bad for teams that can't win at home.

11/25/2012 7:02 PM
Since they can't take Rutgers' spot, it's hardly a relevant argument.  Kent State is probably the only one of the two with a chance to sneak in to the top 16 (they were 23rd in the BCS and No. Illinois was off the board despite being ahead of Kent in both polls), so if you actually like football, root for No. Illnois next week.  Otherwise, if everything else holds form and Kent does make it to the top 16, you get Florida vs. Rutgers and FSU (probably) vs. Kent State.
11/25/2012 7:21 PM
So because the Big East will send a crap team to a BCS game, some non-AQ conference will get to send a crap team to BCS game if they finish in the Top 16.

BCS system sucks.
11/25/2012 7:24 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 11/25/2012 7:24:00 PM (view original):
So because the Big East will send a crap team to a BCS game, some non-AQ conference will get to send a crap team to BCS game if they finish in the Top 16.

BCS system sucks.
Exactly.

How many years have we had to watch a more deserving team miss a BCS opportunity so the Big East could send their "champion".

Quote post by moranis on 11/25/2012 7:03:00 PM:Yeah Kent State got blown out by Kentucky, but it also went on the road and beat Rutgers who is a win away from a BCS game as the Big East champ, so you certainly could argue they would deserve the spot more than Rutgers.

If Oklahoma hadn't lost at home to KSU it would be in a BCS game anyway (and still might if KSU loses).  I don't really feel bad for teams that can't win at home.

Yeah I'd be OK with them taking the spot from Rutgers.
OU has only lost to two teams, both are in the top 7. I don't see how you could possibly make an argument for Kent St over OU. That's just silly.
11/25/2012 7:33 PM (edited)
To be fair, the Big East has often had a better champion than the ACC and unlike the ACC the Big East actually wins BCS games with at least some regularity. 
11/25/2012 7:47 PM
Big East, ACC, and Big 10 should be banned from the BCS this season.  Just a horrible season for all 3 conferences
11/25/2012 8:13 PM
Yeah they may be better than the ACC.

The only Big East school not named West Virginia to win a BCS game is Louisville over Wake Forest in 06 and Miami beat FSU in 03 when Miami was Big East.

With WV gone the Big East ought to have their AQ revoked.

Are there any exceptions to the up coming 4 team playoff format, or will it simply be the top 4 schools? I've also read that they were doing away with the BCS format altogether, if so, what will be used to determine those 4?

11/25/2012 8:23 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/25/2012 8:13:00 PM (view original):
Big East, ACC, and Big 10 should be banned from the BCS this season.  Just a horrible season for all 3 conferences
Nebraska had a solid season. Losing only twice and both on the road. To UCLA by 6 and undefeated Ohio St by 25.
11/25/2012 8:29 PM
Top 4 schools based on the selection committee's rankings, which will also determine the at-large bids for the other bowls.
11/25/2012 8:30 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 11/25/2012 8:30:00 PM (view original):
Top 4 schools based on the selection committee's rankings, which will also determine the at-large bids for the other bowls.
Has the make up of the selection committee been determined?
11/25/2012 8:31 PM
12 Next ▸
Projecting the BCS Bowl Games Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.