9-3 Louisiana Tech = No Bowl Game Topic

Sucks for them.  Pretty solid season overall.  2 point loss to Texas A&M, OT loss to Utah St., and a 9 point road loss to San Jose St..  Had wins over Illinois and Virginia (as well as Houston, Rice, and UNLV out of conference).
12/3/2012 1:45 PM
They turned down a bowl, figuring they would get a better offer... I forget which one.
12/3/2012 2:13 PM
They turned down the Independance Bowl thinking they were going to get the Liberty Bowl, but the Liberty bid wound up going away due to the chain reaction of NIU into the BCS, Oklahoma out.
12/3/2012 2:18 PM
TGWTD
12/3/2012 3:36 PM
Something about "counting the bushes in your hand over the birds that havent hatched" would be in line.
12/4/2012 9:37 AM
That is kind of funny.   I guess they forgot that they're La Tech and have no pull.   

Furthermore, Shreveport is about an hour trip while Memphis is closer to 6 hours with only about 300k difference in payout(to be split with conference members).  Simply put, La Tech would have probably done better, financially, at the Independence.
12/4/2012 9:51 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/4/2012 9:51:00 AM (view original):
That is kind of funny.   I guess they forgot that they're La Tech and have no pull.   

Furthermore, Shreveport is about an hour trip while Memphis is closer to 6 hours with only about 300k difference in payout(to be split with conference members).  Simply put, La Tech would have probably done better, financially, at the Independence.
I don't think they would have done better financially, but it would have been a lot easier for the fan base to go to the game, which should have been considered, especially when it wasn't a given that NIU was out of a BCS game (everyone knew they would be close).
12/4/2012 10:25 AM
Less travel/lodging cost for 400+ people(assuming band and administrators) for 25k, more or less, payout.

My math says "better financially". 
12/4/2012 10:42 AM
GA Tech should get kicked out of whatever ****** bowl they got in so these LA_TECH dudes can play. They won more games than WIS, who got in a friggin' BCS game.
12/4/2012 5:48 PM
I don't feel sorry for the school.

I do feel bad for the players, because their school made a poor choice in turning down the Independence bowl invite.

12/4/2012 6:08 PM
Since rankings play a role in who plays where, why are bowls even allowed to offer a bid to a school before the final rankings are out? Seems beyond retarded.
12/4/2012 6:23 PM
Oh wait, I'm sure it's $$$$........ but seriously, does the NCAA actually do anything? They ought to pretend to have a shred of integrity now and then and establish firm guidelines on common-sense stuff like this. If that's not in their realm of control, what the **** do they do besides 'investigate' schools for like 5 years at a time?
12/4/2012 6:24 PM
The NCAA sanctions bowls but doesn't directly administer them.  Nothing about the FBS postseason is directly under their control.
12/4/2012 6:33 PM
Posted by inkdskn on 12/4/2012 6:23:00 PM (view original):
Since rankings play a role in who plays where, why are bowls even allowed to offer a bid to a school before the final rankings are out? Seems beyond retarded.
Rankings really don't play a roll outside of the BCS bowl games.

Bowls are tied in to a conference usually and are given X choice from such and such conference. The 2012 Independence Bowl was supposed to feature the seventh choice from the ACC vs the 10th choice from the SEC. Unfortunately neither conference had enough bowl eligible teams. Which I guess allows them to choose from bowl eligible non AQ conferences.

12/4/2012 6:41 PM
Posted by gregsimon on 12/4/2012 6:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by inkdskn on 12/4/2012 6:23:00 PM (view original):
Rankings really don't play a roll outside of the BCS bowl games.

Bowls are tied in to a conference usually and are given X choice from such and such conference. The 2012 Independence Bowl was supposed to feature the seventh choice from the ACC vs the 10th choice from the SEC. Unfortunately neither conference had enough bowl eligible teams. Which I guess allows them to choose from bowl eligible non AQ conferences.

Sure they do - not directly, but they absolutely have an impact, which is what caused this.  There are the contractual selection orders for the conference, but the BCS trumps all.  Where the BCS at-large bids go creates a ripple effect.

What happened here was that you had several bowls (Liberty and Independence among them) that were at the bottom of a conference pick chain and knew just by numbers that they weren't going to get a team from their tie-in, so they were free to offer invites to any eligible team without a tie-in.  The Independance Bowl apparently wanted to lock decisions in as soon as possible, whereas the Liberty was talking to La Tech, but wanted to wait to see for sure who would be left after the conference tie-ins before extending an official bid, apparently hoping someone they liked would fall through the conference cracks.  Iowa State only became available because NIU bumped OK out of a BCS at-large bid, which meant the Big 12 had 9 bowl eligible teams for 8 spots.  And since the MAC has more bowl-eligible teams than tie-ins, NIU going to the BCS didn't open another spot for La Tech.
12/4/2012 9:39 PM (edited)
123 Next ▸
9-3 Louisiana Tech = No Bowl Game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.