Playoffs, a season early Topic

Posted by tripleh595 on 10/24/2013 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Ohio State doesn't have to play an awesome schedule to win the argument over Baylor. All Ohio State would have to do is convince the committee that they are better than Baylor & that wouldn't be hard to do.

Baylor has faced Kansas State so far & Baylor outgained them by only a single yard. Also, Baylor gave up more yards to Kansas State than the North Dakota State Bison did! I bring this up because it makes it an EXTREMELY easy case to make that Ohio State has the superior defense to Baylor, without question.

Ohio State also has the superior rushing attack to Baylor, without question. In the game against Iowa where Ohio State was challenged, it was their rushing game with Carlos Hyde that boosted them to victory. Ohio State ended up outgaining Iowa by more than 100 total yards. In Ohio State's game against Wisconsin, Ohio State outrushed Wisconsin.

So, based on those points... I think it's a better argument for Ohio State than any schedule related argument that you can make for Baylor. Baylor might beat Oklahoma, Ok. State & Texas Tech... but, it doesn't matter if Ohio State is just flat out the superior team. I think that's the case & I believe that many of those committee members would agree & put an undefeated Ohio State team in over an undefeated Baylor. Schedule isn't everything.
Common opponents would be my argument if schedules was dismissed.    

And I don't think OSU is the 4th best team in the nation.   Right now, I'd put Stanford in over OSU. 
10/24/2013 6:09 PM
If Stanford gets in, Oregon should be out. No way should both Oregon & Stanford make the 4 team playoff. That would leave a spot for Ohio State.

If Stanford gets in, that would mean that they beat Oregon. Stanford at that point, has basically just won a playoff game of sorts & Oregon lost. Oregon lost their chance to play in the PAC 12 Championship game... so, why would I believe that they can win the National Championship game, or even the semi-final game to get to that point? They'll be facing a team of Stanford's quality or better. That wouldn't make sense.

So, if Stanford is better... Ohio State still gets in.
10/24/2013 7:01 PM
Cool.

These 4 teams could win their conferences and remain undefeated.    OSU, Baylor, Fresno State and Miami.

Is that your 4 team playoff?   If not, why?
10/24/2013 9:29 PM
That would be my playoff unless:

1 loss conference champion Alabama/Missouri is out there.
1 loss conference champion Oregon/Stanford is out there.

Of course if one of those scenarios existed, you'd have to kick out Fresno State & put in one of those teams, whichever the case called for. Fresno State isn't in a major conference, so there's no contradiction.
10/24/2013 10:38 PM
You do realize how retarded that is, right?   I bet even moranis won't agree with that. 

Basically, you're saying that an undefeated team in a power conference gets a spot.     While I think we all know the playoffs was created to be a cash cow, the public has also been sold that the best teams would be there.     As it stands, even if they lose, Bama, Oregon and FSU are the three best teams.   I don't think anyone disputes that.    That can change due to injury or poor play but, if Jameis Winston has one bad game and FSU loses to Miami, I'm not going to suddenly believe Miami is better than FSU.   
10/25/2013 8:30 AM
What's "retarded" is a team getting a 2nd & 3rd shot to do something they could've already done. Does the Super Bowl loser get a rematch? No. Alabama can beat Missouri; Florida State can beat Miami; Oregon can beat Stanford. Also, your logic fails because if Miami loses to ONLY Florida State... what's to say that Miami just had one bad game? Just because people have it made up in their minds already that Florida State is better it means they get 2nd chances & Miami doesn't?
10/25/2013 4:13 PM

Does a NFL team get eliminated from the playoffs due to a week 4 loss?  No.    It's a goddam playoff not a single elimination 14 game season.  

Under what you're proposing, it make no sense to EVER schedule a tough game.    Go 12-0 and print the tickets.   That's retarded.

10/25/2013 4:29 PM
12-0 alone doesn't print the ticket. Winning your conference & having an undefeated or 1 loss record does. If you had paid any attention you would've realized that I said clearly that a 1 loss Alabama or Oregon that are conference champions should get in ahead of an undefeated Fresno State. However, a 1 loss Alabama that just lost to undefeated Missouri in the SEC Championship game should not get in ahead of an undefeated Ohio State team that won their conference championship. 

You need to stop focusing on wanting to call someone "retarded" so much that you actually gather information from what you read.
10/25/2013 7:03 PM

Just to clarify even more: You say that I'm promoting that a great team can lose in Week 4 & be eliminated. That's not entirely true:

It's all according to WHO they lost to in Week 4. Let's say that you have a team who finishes with 1 loss to the eventual division winner who goes on to lose in the conference championship game. What you suggest is reward the team that didn't even win it's division just because you THINK they are better. They didn't prove it, you just THINK so. I like to go with who wins games to advance, not those who lose & then are simply the chosen ones.

10/25/2013 7:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/24/2013 6:09:00 PM (view original):
Ohio State doesn't have to play an awesome schedule to win the argument over Baylor. All Ohio State would have to do is convince the committee that they are better than Baylor & that wouldn't be hard to do.

Baylor has faced Kansas State so far & Baylor outgained them by only a single yard. Also, Baylor gave up more yards to Kansas State than the North Dakota State Bison did! I bring this up because it makes it an EXTREMELY easy case to make that Ohio State has the superior defense to Baylor, without question.

Ohio State also has the superior rushing attack to Baylor, without question. In the game against Iowa where Ohio State was challenged, it was their rushing game with Carlos Hyde that boosted them to victory. Ohio State ended up outgaining Iowa by more than 100 total yards. In Ohio State's game against Wisconsin, Ohio State outrushed Wisconsin.

So, based on those points... I think it's a better argument for Ohio State than any schedule related argument that you can make for Baylor. Baylor might beat Oklahoma, Ok. State & Texas Tech... but, it doesn't matter if Ohio State is just flat out the superior team. I think that's the case & I believe that many of those committee members would agree & put an undefeated Ohio State team in over an undefeated Baylor. Schedule isn't everything.

And I don't think OSU is the 4th best team in the nation.   Right now, I'd put Stanford in over OSU. 
Stanford lost to Utah. Utah sucks thereby eliminating Stanford at this point in time.
10/25/2013 11:11 PM
Posted by moranis on 10/25/2013 11:11:00 PM (view original):

Stanford lost to Utah. Utah sucks thereby eliminating Stanford at this point in time.
Same question.

These 4 teams could win their conferences and remain undefeated.    OSU, Baylor, Fresno State and Miami.

10/26/2013 7:53 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/26/2013 7:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 10/25/2013 11:11:00 PM (view original):

Same question.

So because I think a loss to Utah eliminates a team you jump to wild assumptions.  Not even worth my time responding to nonsense.
10/26/2013 12:30 PM
I'll take that as "Yeah, you're right.  Being undefeated shouldn't guarantee you a spot in the CFB playoffs."

Thanks for playing.
10/26/2013 1:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/26/2013 1:11:00 PM (view original):
I'll take that as "Yeah, you're right.  Being undefeated shouldn't guarantee you a spot in the CFB playoffs."

Thanks for playing.
I never said that douchebag.  That was my point.
10/26/2013 1:20 PM
I SEE A MONGO MELEE A FORMING REAL SOON!
10/26/2013 1:24 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...28 Next ▸
Playoffs, a season early Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.