Screwed by the Hall of Fame FULL Topic

A lot of blood and pages have been spilled discussing whether certain borderline players deserve induction to the hall of fame. This league is not like that. Instead I want to focus on the good to great players who were rudely given the heave-ho after only one year of eligibility. There are some great players out there who failed to even get 5% of the hall of fame vote in their first year of eligibility and were removed from the ballot after one year of eligibility. And, sure, most of them weren't hall of fame players to begin with, but they deserved better.

This league will only deal with position players who were snubbed. To judge each player's quality, we will be using Baseball Reference's all time WAR leaderboard. It isn't perfect, but it gives a good snapshot of how good each player was during their career. I'm going to make the cutoff for selecting your players at 35 WAR. Any player who has reached hall of fame eligibility, was voted on by the BBWAA, and did not receive enough votes to stay on the ballot past one year is available for selection. I trust you guys to be able to search the list and make your selections.

When you select your player, go through the list and find the Hall of Famer with the closest WAR. The rest of your team will consist of teammates of these two players, no twisting. You must choose at least 10 teammates of each player and the ballpark must be one your snub played in. Standard alignment. $100M cap. No AAA, no clones, no DH, no trades, no injuries. Hopefully we get a nice mix of players here. I'll make my selection 12th.

**Note that I probably wasn't clear enough originally. Only snubs who were removed from the ballot after one year are eligible. I was not aware that rules were different in the past and that players used to be kept on the ballots even after receiving less than 5% of the vote.**

Owner/Players
1. dodgebob (Darryl Strawberry, Roger Bresnahan)
2. jfranco77 - (Amos Otis, Rabbit Marranville)
3. soxfanj1995 (Reggie Smith, Willie McCovey)
4. kriz (Brett Butler, Larry Doby)
5. midknight (Lenny Dykstra, Chuck Klein)
6. toddcommish (Matt Williams, Frank Chance)
7. professorjon (Kenny Lofton, Ryne Sandberg)
8. Got_Worms (Ellis Burks, Nellie Fox)
9. specsman (Willie Randolph, Duke Snider)
10. cpmitchno1 (Bert Campaneris, Joe Sewell)
11. yargespd1 (John Olerud, Joe Gordon)
12. flyingman (Jose Cruz, Max Carey)
13. carpetbagger (Bobby Veach, John McGraw)
14. go_pre (Sal Bando, Zack Wheat)
15. rickysdad44 (David Justice, Hack Wilson)
16. kyleb63 (Robin Ventura, Bill Dickey)
17. dcmatcheck (Al Oliver, Hugh Duffy)
18. thebubbaq (Darrel Porter, Phil Rizzuto)
19. dskantor (Gene Tenace, Jim Rice)
20. skean (Mark Belanger, Hack Wilson)
21. tkcronin (Norm Cash, Kirby Puckett)
22. tdoak (Ron Cey, Joe Tinker)
23. pugs (Julio Franco, Hughie Jennings)
24. wahoo54 (Bobby Grich, Harry Heilmann)

flyingman; tdoak; tkcronin; skean; dskantor; thebubbaq; dcmatcheck; kyleb63; rickysdad44; go_pre; carpetbagger; yargespd1; cpmitchno1; specsman; Got_Worms; professorjon; toddcommish; midknight; kriz; soxfanj1995; jfranco77; dodgebob; pugs; wahoo54
1/10/2013 1:38 PM (edited)
So if I understand this correctly...
 Let's say I select Darryl Strawberry, who received 1.2% of the BBWAA vote in 2005.
 His WAR is 39.2. The closest WAR of a Hall-of-Famer is Roger Bresnahan at 39.1.
 My roster must consist of those two players plus teammates of those two players during years that they were actually teammates (not twisted) with a minimum of ten players from each focal-point player.

If that's the case,...I'd like to select Darryl and Roger
11/30/2012 12:59 PM
I would like to give this a try with... Amos Otis (39.2) and Rabbit Maranville (39.4)
11/30/2012 1:27 PM
Posted by dodgebob on 11/30/2012 12:59:00 PM (view original):
So if I understand this correctly...
 Let's say I select Darryl Strawberry, who received 1.2% of the BBWAA vote in 2005.
 His WAR is 39.2. The closest WAR of a Hall-of-Famer is Roger Bresnahan at 39.1.
 My roster must consist of those two players plus teammates of those two players during years that they were actually teammates (not twisted) with a minimum of ten players from each focal-point player.

If that's the case,...I'd like to select Darryl and Roger
Correct. No twisting. They must be direct teammates.

Thank you for joining, dodgebob and jfranco!
12/1/2012 5:43 PM
no DH,I assume?
12/2/2012 6:12 PM
If I understand correctly..I will select Reggie Smith with Willie McCovey as my HOFer
12/2/2012 8:13 PM
I'm going to go with Brett Butler (47) and Larry Doby (47). I don't think Butler even got a HOF vote... 
12/2/2012 11:29 PM
Lots of adds over the weekend. Thanks to everyone for joining. And yes, Rattlers, there's no DH. I'll update the league to reflect this.
12/3/2012 9:20 AM
The rule that ends eligibility for players with less than 5 percent support on the first ballot began with the class of 1978. Can we assume that this league will be based on hof elections only after that date?
Here is a link to hof ballot results: http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_1978.shtml

12/3/2012 12:50 PM
Posted by dcmatcheck on 12/3/2012 12:50:00 PM (view original):
The rule that ends eligibility for players with less than 5 percent support on the first ballot began with the class of 1978. Can we assume that this league will be based on hof elections only after that date?
Here is a link to hof ballot results: http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/hof_1978.shtml

Yes. The requirement is that they were on the ballot one year and then removed.
12/3/2012 2:26 PM
Welcome, gyrene! Let's keep this going.
12/6/2012 7:44 AM
Shoeless Joe Jackson denied with a 59.6 and Home Run Baker inducted with a 59.5
12/6/2012 4:15 PM
Posted by professorjon on 12/6/2012 4:15:00 PM (view original):
Shoeless Joe Jackson denied with a 59.6 and Home Run Baker inducted with a 59.5
I'd be welcome to have you in my league, but you can't pick Joe Jackson. Only players who were eligible for election into the hall of fame are allowed.
12/6/2012 6:44 PM
Interesting League....I'll jump in with Ron Gant (31.2) and Ross Youngs (30.9). Thx,
12/7/2012 2:53 PM
Sitemailing frank_drebin and professorjon, letting them know their selections won't work.
12/7/2012 3:01 PM
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
Screwed by the Hall of Fame FULL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.