Predictions / The Official Jinx Thread Topic

I wanted to post this publicly and update periodically through the round.  Hopefully others join in.  Of course posting will jinx my good teams and double-jinx my bad teams but that is a risk I am willing to take. 
8/5/2012 9:08 PM

$70m - Kansas City Mathletics
Prediction: 80 wins

Notes: Average team, I am kicking myself for not having an A+ arm since everyone has a ton of base-stealers.

$80M - The Lucky Leprechauns
Prediction: 85 wins

Notes: I feel confident that this is a winning team – hoping for a playoff berth

$90M - 1977 Cincinnati Reds
Prediction: 90 wins

Notes: I could run into major bullpen issues but the offense is amazing for this theme – I think playoffs are a strong possibility.

$100M - 1964 MLN-LAA-LAD-MIN-CHC
Prediction: 70 wins

Notes: Ugh… I felt great about this team until I saw everyone else’s.  Unless Koufax and Drysdale are true aces I think I am in trouble because everything else is below average.  About half my starters are a bit short on PAs too.

$110M  - The Olympian Gods
Prediction: 80 wins

Notes: This team will either be 90 or 70 wins, depending on whether or not I run into IP issues.  I have 1395 and everyone else seems to be about 1500.

$120M - Speaker, Hornsby, Pavletich, Adams
Prediction: 95 wins

Notes: My best team.  I think Babe Adams will be able to hold up.  Playoffs are expected.

8/5/2012 9:09 PM

I'll make some predictions.  It's not like I can jinx my team any more than they already are (by having me as their owner):

$70M Theme - BRAVE STRANGERS - 70 Wins

$80M Theme - A WING AND A PRAYER - 75 Wins

$90M Theme - 2009 ST. LOUIS CARDINALS - 75 Wins

$100M Theme - 2002:  BOS / TEX / LAD / MIL / MON - 82 Wins

$110M Theme - THE SILVER BULLETS - 42 Wins

$120M Theme - FOUR-LEAF CLONER (Mordecai Brown, Mariano Rivera, Rogers Hornsby and Bill Dickey) - 87 Wins (and my only possible playoff team)

(and to think - the above predictions are me being hopeful...lol)

8/6/2012 12:00 AM
I think I just got lucky my first time out but here goes:

$70 Million: Holding All The Cards - 85 wins gets 2nd in the division but misses the playoffs

$80 Million: Seasonal Changes - 87 wins gets WC but losses in four in the divisional playoffs

$90 Million: 1916 Chicago White Sox - 75 wins as offense just isn't there the whole season

$100 Million: 1920 CLE/SLB/PIT/CHC/PHA - 95 wins wins division but loses in the LCS.

$110 Million: King and His Court - 90 wins but somehow still misses the playoffs.

$120 Million: 3-Finger Rajah & Mo Butch Babe - 98 wins and somehow makes it to the WS and winning in 6.

I'm hopeful that I can somehow eck out enough wins to get to the Cage...
8/6/2012 1:23 AM
...and going along with my predictions above, the first games are in and my teams go 1-5.  The only team that won - yeah, the $120M team (and they barely won).

8/6/2012 2:53 AM
seattle seventy - 90 wins
bump city - 70 wins
85 thirteen twisted pirates - 85 wins
1980 - hou, lad, oak, chic, And stl - 85 wins
king's queens - 75 wins
foxx, harrah, hendu and pedro - 80 wins

After a 3-3 start, we brimming with over confidence.
8/6/2012 3:15 AM
I'm 4-2 and in first place in all six leagues - yes, the two teams that lost are in divisions that got swept in the AM cycle.

I'm tempted to frame this and put it on my wall ... when I finish in the 60s or 70s, this will be a distant memory.
8/6/2012 8:13 AM
OK, I'll give this a shot:

70mil Cards: 84 wins (only because there are no big HR parks in my division, I expect all 4 of us will be in the 84-88 range)

80mil ReProGressive: 82 wins (because these types of teams always finish around .500)

90mil Twisted 24 Cards: 91 wins (mmm... Hornsby)

100mil 1992ers: 77 wins (played it down the middle, that usually fails)

110mil: 75 wins (I'm not good at this)

120mil: 86 wins (team is really good, will struggle against speed teams, but 2/3 of the parks in my division are good for me, which helps
8/6/2012 11:06 AM
I'll also give this a shot:

$70m Dodgers: 88 wins - This is my favorite team in the bunch and the one I'm most confident in. I've got two Astro and an Oriole team in my division, which means I won't be hurt by their ballparks, but the power I do have will be a help when I go elsewhere.

$80m: 74 wins - I played it straight, but took a couple of chances on quality in the first round to make sure I had enough quantity. I'd rather win slightly fewer to avoid a riskier team that could end up winning either 60 or 90.

$90m: 82 wins - We lost an ugly extra inning game against one of those Mets teams to open, but I think this team is slightly better than average and could be a surprise playoff team if it all falls our way.

$100m: ?? wins - I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I have lots of good players, but the only other deadball team I've built that wasn't based on HRs was in last year's WISC and I used a 1902 team. They were one of my better teams, but I had no expectations then either.

$110m: 85 wins - Silver King and a bunch of great hitters, everywhere. I think it's going to be fairly close to luck, but those owners who take best advantage of King and defense will pull ahead slightly.

$120m: 75 wins - I have the offense to pummel any pitching staff, but I don't have the quality of pitching to hold back even mediocre offenses at this cap. Like the $80m, I took quantity over quality to play it safe.
8/6/2012 12:55 PM
ok sure i'll play along ever though noone reads my useless statements. 

$70mil: double mint TWINS:   81 Wins                  My anti HR hitting team will do in divisional parks.  Feal good about this team when I made it and the division is Yankees, Cards, and Expos. So i should have a chance with diversity bad start really blew my confidence. 

$80mil: Allin for Round 1         69 Wins           Held nothing back just tryin to get into round 2.  0-2 start (go figure)  This team will let me down the most.

$90mil:  72 Orioles               86 Wins           I'm trying to be confident with predictions every though my previous attempts have been bad.  I have used parts of this teams in other leagues with some success.  lose 1st round of playoffs

$100mil:  5x5 league          87 win         This team will miss the playoffs with a big win #.  No HR parks in division give me a chance to win it, but won't have WC if i don't.

$110mil:   Silver King is my Ding-a-ling:     88 Wins    2-0 start adds to that inflated #.   I really think my off the wall strategy to be posted in other forum gives me a chance for 1st playoff round win

$120 mil: Pedro, Foxx, and Phillips:    77 wins     I think this team is better then that but i truely hate clones. Division parks kill me. Very happy with how team fit the cap though.
8/6/2012 4:02 PM
70M  Pirates -        71 Wins - I never play low cap leagues and it shows.
80M  ProReg -       86 Wins - I like how this team came together.
90M  '15 Pirates -  81 Wins - How do you end up with a team like this?  Mostly players I have never used or even seen used.
100M 1912 -          91 Wins - Unless 3rd starter turns out even worse than I fear.
110M King -           91 Wins - I like the looks of this team except wish I had found a Lefty instead of Big Ed Walsh.
120M Clones -       80 Wins - Should have done better here.

Total -  500 Wins / 472 Losses (Currently 14 - 22)
8/7/2012 9:06 PM
$70 Million  Really Fast Dodgers  Prediction: 90-72
I don't like low caps, but I've done well the past few years at this cap with SB-heavy teams.  I love my speed on this team, plus I think I got a lucky division draw, missing all 7 Cardinal teams in my league.

$80 Million  To Catch a Thief  Prediction: 83-79
After reading other people's team comments, I think I messed this team up.  I should have drafted more of the high on-base cookies.  My offense looks pretty anemic.  I willprobably lose a lot of 2-1 games.

$90 Million Pedro's Rookie Year ('92 LA) Prediction: 74-88
My out-of-position SS expirement is not working out (4 errors in 6 games).  My offense is good for a 70M team, but not for a 90M team.  My great pitching is giving up too many unearned runs.  I know better than to short-change defense.  Dumb.

$100 Million  1920 NYY-StL-Cin-Pit-PhA  Prediction: 91-71
This is my only team with a little pop (well, it's really only Babe).  But I always love my Ruth teams.  Why didn't I pick Ruth in the other themes?  Anyway, I am in a division full of modern teams, so Ruth should put up strong numbers. 

$110 Million  Silver & the Switch Hitters  Prediction: 88-74
Really, who knows what small differences are going to seperate all the Silver King teams from each other.  It seems like everybody has similar teams.  I am hopeful my switch hitters and defense give me a few extra wins.

$120 Million  Raines, Redmond, Hornsby & Pedro
  Prediction:
80-82
Why didn't I take Ruth here?  Seeing all the Foxxes and Ruths makes me think my offense won't be good enough. 

Overall, I think I have three playoff-caliber teams.  That may or may not be good enough to advance to round 2. 

8/7/2012 9:54 PM

70Mil- Prediction 70-92

Horrible at low cap teams, and thus far this team hasn't shown me reason to doubt this.. Disappointing and should've stuck with my red sox team I had first entered..

80mil- Prediction 80-82

I put the "worse" team out there first and it may come back to bite me. Another disappointing team, but in a weak division so if they can finish a few games over .500 they may make the playoffs.

90mil- Prediction 100-62

My 2nd best team. The 1916 chicago cubs are pitching well and hitting pretty well..If Cy Williams can hit a bit better they'll glide through the 2nd half.. Feel as if they can go deep into the playoffs with a solid rotation of 3 finger brown and claude hendrix.

100mil- Prediction 90-72

90 wins may be a bit unrealistic, but I believe they are capable of it. The hitting is pretty weak at times, but the rotation is pretty solid. Should be able to squeak into the playoffs as a wild card or division winner..Division is all over .500 but hardly by much..

110mil- Prediction 105-57

This Silver King team started off on fire and had no fatigue at all, but then suddenly have started to lose quite a few..Still playing unbelievable and no fatigue on the pitching side at all, we should be able to finish in 1st. The hitting is a little fatigued, but nothing to worry about. Hopefully a WS appearance.

120mil- Prediction 85-77

The team comprised of Pedro, Nap, Babe, and babe phelps catching started off horrific. Just suddenly have they caught "fire" winning 8 out of their last 10 games. Maybe I am being optimistic believing they will finish above .500 as they are 7 or 8 games under .500 at the moment. I believe they have under performed thus far though.

8/28/2012 4:40 PM
Posted by just4me on 8/6/2012 12:55:00 PM (view original):
I'll also give this a shot:

$70m Dodgers: 88 wins - This is my favorite team in the bunch and the one I'm most confident in. I've got two Astro and an Oriole team in my division, which means I won't be hurt by their ballparks, but the power I do have will be a help when I go elsewhere.

$80m: 74 wins - I played it straight, but took a couple of chances on quality in the first round to make sure I had enough quantity. I'd rather win slightly fewer to avoid a riskier team that could end up winning either 60 or 90.

$90m: 82 wins - We lost an ugly extra inning game against one of those Mets teams to open, but I think this team is slightly better than average and could be a surprise playoff team if it all falls our way.

$100m: ?? wins - I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I have lots of good players, but the only other deadball team I've built that wasn't based on HRs was in last year's WISC and I used a 1902 team. They were one of my better teams, but I had no expectations then either.

$110m: 85 wins - Silver King and a bunch of great hitters, everywhere. I think it's going to be fairly close to luck, but those owners who take best advantage of King and defense will pull ahead slightly.

$120m: 75 wins - I have the offense to pummel any pitching staff, but I don't have the quality of pitching to hold back even mediocre offenses at this cap. Like the $80m, I took quantity over quality to play it safe.
$70m Dodgers: 85 wins and 1st place.

$80m: 84 wins, missed WC by 2 games.

$90m: 64 wins and killed me.

$100m: 94 wins and 1st place.

$110m: 92 wins and 1st place.

$120m: 82 wins and last place in one really tough division.
9/30/2012 2:08 AM
Posted by buddhagamer on 8/6/2012 1:24:00 AM (view original):
I think I just got lucky my first time out but here goes:

$70 Million: Holding All The Cards - 85 wins gets 2nd in the division but misses the playoffs

$80 Million: Seasonal Changes - 87 wins gets WC but losses in four in the divisional playoffs

$90 Million: 1916 Chicago White Sox - 75 wins as offense just isn't there the whole season

$100 Million: 1920 CLE/SLB/PIT/CHC/PHA - 95 wins wins division but loses in the LCS.

$110 Million: King and His Court - 90 wins but somehow still misses the playoffs.

$120 Million: 3-Finger Rajah & Mo Butch Babe - 98 wins and somehow makes it to the WS and winning in 6.

I'm hopeful that I can somehow eck out enough wins to get to the Cage...
Holding All The Cards - 85 wins gets 2nd in the division and grabs the WC (almost called it).

Seasonal Changes - 79 wins and was lucky to get that.

1916 Chicago White Sox - 99 wins and grabs the WC as the offense wasn't there but didn't matter with that pitching.

1920 CLE/SLB/PIT/CHC/PHA - 68 wins and was a bad idea from the start.

King and His Court - 99 wins, grabs the best record in the league but should of been more.

3-Finger Rajah & Mo Butch Babe - 102 wins, wins the division.
9/30/2012 2:23 AM
12 Next ▸
Predictions / The Official Jinx Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.