110M Same Franchise Player - Draft Thread Topic

Coming into this theme, what was the expectation of which franchises would get selected more than once?  And based on that which person or persons has the advantage?

I am surprised nobody took the Browns/Orioles franchise.  I know the Browns sucked most of the time, but they have had some decent hitters.  The Orioles have a bunch of solid players and you would have been assured exclusitivity.    I also thought the Astros might get selected.  They always seem to do well in the Rule V league (a $120M modern franchise theme). 

I am not surprised the Red Sox, Cardinals, A's, Giants, Dodgers, Indians and Yankees got doubled-up.  I didn't expect a team to get tripled up but the way the end of the first and early second round went, it kind of had to happen.   Had somebody taken the Orioles franchise, then we may not have a had a tripled-up franchise.

The shocker was the White Sox.  Now, they certainly have enough pitching for two teams to compete at this cap.  Not sure about the hitting.  The Cubs and Pirates also could have doubled up, and the fact they have only one team might make them the favorites.  brianjw's Tigers will also do well with Verlander and Scherzer added to the pitching mix.  That leaves Min, Cin, Phi and Atl as the other single-used franchises.  Funny thing is that had I taken the Mets, Seaver would've been my second pick, which would have really hurt njbigwig's Reds.    I will be watching closely how mensu1954's Braves do, since I was really close to taking Maddux over Pedro.

I would love to hear other people's comments. 

10/25/2013 10:39 AM
Already struggling with picks so at least a 2nd CHW team has made my days more interesting.  That said...

Rnd 3 pick - Doc White CHW
10/25/2013 10:51 AM
round 3 pick: Mel Ott

I thought only 3 or 4 teams would get doubled up and more franchises would be selected. Yankees, Red Sox and Giants for sure and one wild card. Os Astros Mets Expos I thought would go before other teams got doubled. looks like everybody wants deadball pitchers.
10/25/2013 10:57 AM (edited)
I really only looked at the pitching before making my picks figuring there were only a handful of SPs I'd be comfortable with at this cap per franchise.  The Orioles/Browns didn't have much there.  McNally is ok I guess but gives up a ton of homers.  Who else?....Palmer?...Sothoron?...definitely not top tier so they were a no.  The Astros were decent but with Sutton gone you really only had Scott and Clemens with not much else among the elite.  So I passed on them too.

The Cubs and Pirates were close picks for me.  I would have taken Pfiester and Reulbach in that scenario for the Cubs.  For the Pirates I would have taken Adams and either Tannehill or Blanton.  Both scenarios involved sharing with one other person so there was a good chance my 3rd SP wouldn't be very good.  

I passed quickly on the Tigers - no pitching whatsoever.  I suppose brian might be ok with the high hr/9 for Verlander and Scherzer but I wasn't willing to take that risk and after them there wasn't much there.

Min, Cin (in particular), Phi (after Alexander is gone) and ATL all don't have enough pitching for this cap in my opinion.  Certainly not in a sharing situation.

So once I found Chesbro and Ford for NYY it was an easy decision for me.  I couldn't get 800 high quality IPs with anyone else over 2 picks.  NYY has been around long enough where I didn't have to worry about a lack of RPs or hitting in the event I had to share with 1 or even 2 people.  At the time I made my decision I was hoping to share with 1 person and figuring a max of 2.  Turns out I got kind of screwed by 2 guys who didn't even really want to take the Yankees as their franchise.  Oh well.
10/25/2013 11:07 AM
I selected the Reds early (4th) hoping that I wouldn't have company.  My first selection was Bench so there was no question which team I was going to take.  Besides the Reds are my favorite team.

Now I will select my favorite player, Joe Morgan.
10/25/2013 11:12 AM
As far as this draft goes...

I explored lots of ideas before narrowing it down.  Those ideas included among the finalists; Babe Ruth, Greg Maddux, Babe Adams, Ed Walsh and, of course, Jack Quinn.  In the end, my desire for an exclusive club outweighed other considerations.  Second came securing a top-tier pitcher.  I was torn between Maddux and Walsh but thought, once Walsh was out of the mix the White Sox would be mine.  A large part of this was, as schwarze and I have said earlier, that there just isn't enough hitting there to support two strong teams.  To my utter shock and dismay not everyone agreed.

Another consideration was trading down.  This has the advantage of more extensive selected team knowledge but at the cost of top-notch player erosion.  Again, weighing all of that went into my final decision to take a risk on getting an exclusive CHW franchise.  Additionally, once Joss and Alexander went 1-2, both options, although at odds, became more important (trade out of a tough division and get a top-notch starter).

As far as observing other selections... what do I know.  I'm always surprised at the strategies (apparently) employed and the outcomes also frequently impress me.  There are certainly differing opinions and that's what makes this fun.  I must say I can't believe there is only one Cubs team.  No way that happens if we simply draft franchises first instead of players with several options.

Anyways, making it here to the "cage" is my primary goal.  Now it is time to have fun with it.  Good luck to all!
10/25/2013 11:14 AM
great...looks like I have a target on my back now.  The poachers might be out to get me now lol.

On second thought, I think I'm just going to draft Kiki Kuyler now, even though my pick slot is a couple of hours away, because I won't be around when that time comes up and with njbigwig picking Joe Morgan, no one ahead of me can draft him.  I had sent my pick to schwartz as a proxy, but since I'm making the pick now that won't be necessary.

As for how the draft has worked out so far, it's probably been in my favor.  I initially traded up so that I could have a shot at getting Walter Johnson, since I knew I had virtually no chance of getting him at pick #18.  When that didn't pan out, I narrowed my choices down to Babe Adams or Mordecai Brown.  In truth, I figured there was a good chance that I would have to share with someone regardless of who I picked, but I went with Mordecai Brown because I felt that there would be a lower probability of having to fight someone for the Cubs because after Mordecai Brown, the Chicago Cubs don't have a player with a lot of name recognition.  Plus, I didn't like the 1B/2B options for the Pirates (since Honus Wagner is obviously playing at SS).
10/25/2013 11:54 AM (edited)
I also only really looked at pitching when looking at the franchises since I felt there weren't a ton of top quality options for each franchise. I was initially deciding between Russ Ford and Cy Young, but with 7 picks after me I didn't really want to lock into any specific  franchise, so I went with Boggs so I would at least have an option. If I could do it over again, I would've just stayed in my #6 spot, or tried to trade even further down into the 20's. I was going to take Cy Young on the way back, but I decided I just didn't want to pitch in Fenway. When in doubt, I usually go with the better pitchers park.
10/25/2013 12:11 PM
I am really having a tough time with this pick. If it was an unlimited cap it would be different. But I will take Spud Chandler, P
10/25/2013 12:31 PM
Posted by jfranco77 on 10/25/2013 12:31:00 PM (view original):
I am really having a tough time with this pick. If it was an unlimited cap it would be different. But I will take Spud Chandler, P

good pick, I was definitey picking him either this round or next.

10/25/2013 12:46 PM
so are we able to pick ahead of our spots if the guy we are selcecting didn't play for any other franchise (or at least none that are picking before you)?
10/25/2013 12:50 PM
I'd probably be happier having the Browns/Orioles to myself than having 1/3 of the Yankees, but I guess time will tell. I figured that we'd have at least one Yankee and at least one Red Sock taken in the first round and I could choose between the 2 of them with Ruth. I figured worst case, someone would take a 2nd Red Sox franchise and force my hand.  What I really wanted to happen was to get Wade Boggs in round 2 and keep the suspense going a little longer. Never expected Boggs to go in round 1 with someone playing the same game I was playing.  Apparently the smart move would have been to take Chesbro in round 1 and rely on the deep Yankee hitting without Ruth. 

I really like the Pirates and I strongly considered taking Honus. Of course the Pirates have another awesome SS so even that wouldn't guarantee having them to myself. I just couldn't pass up Ruth himself, even if it meant sharing the rest of his teammates. 

I love the Astros and I'm really surprised they weren't taken. Their early 80s pitchers are very good. The Mets are tempting too but they really require you to have Pedro in round 1 and you probably need Seaver in round 2. 

Given that there will probably be a ton of deadball hitters I would have been OK taking the Tigers with Scherzer/Verlander and hoping for the best. It's true that their historical pitching hasn't been great. But man, they have some hitters. 
10/25/2013 12:53 PM
Posted by ryan_horner on 10/25/2013 12:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jfranco77 on 10/25/2013 12:31:00 PM (view original):

good pick, I was definitey picking him either this round or next.

My favorite sim Yankee pitcher and it's not that close. Kind of staggering who I didn't take, but Spud seemed to be the best option after Jeter. 
10/25/2013 12:54 PM
Posted by ryan_horner on 10/25/2013 12:50:00 PM (view original):
so are we able to pick ahead of our spots if the guy we are selcecting didn't play for any other franchise (or at least none that are picking before you)?
Yes
10/25/2013 12:57 PM
The team I most strongly considered at the time of my pick was the A's - taking one of the two deadball pitchers that jjgreen took seemed very attractive at the time because they both have outs to other teams. Was also considering Catfish Hunter for the same reason, and Rickey Henderson crossed my thoughts as well. In retrospect I think Maddux was the best choice on the board when I picked, but I have supreme confidence in the Johnson-led Twinators as well.

With that being said, my selection - Goose Goslin
10/25/2013 1:07 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...40 Next ▸
110M Same Franchise Player - Draft Thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.