UNO - Discussion Thread & Future ideas Topic

UNO - Discussion Thread & Future ideas

* feel free to discuss any future rule tweaks here or anything else.
We can probably even post some poll questions before Version 2 is launched to vote on any changes
thanks for playing !

UNO Version 1.0 Sitemail List:
toddleduc; yargespd1; antoncresten; daddyzander; joshkvt, The Taint; Vindex24; jbar8888; zephyr1949; gbakker; spoonfed; uncleal; SpotSell; dcmatcheck; moser34; dilligafdbp; jbfg8r; grayfoxx; terry00; pick1or2; mikemundt; jvt87; markdidonato; shawbigred

8/16/2013 8:53 AM (edited)
I think a less drastic version of the SKIP card was also used in the past. You picked your player, and used the card to eliminate another player. You could choose the Red Sox, draft Ted Williams, and SKIP Pedro Martinez. You could either have the skipped player out of the draft entirely, out of just that round, or not eligible as a Red Sox (so a WC could be used to take a Montreal season but not a Boston season).
8/14/2013 4:54 PM
I like that idea joshkvt.  I prefer that concept to one where you can take someone's pick away. 
8/14/2013 6:39 PM
Yes, I would like to see a skip card be a literal skip, you would skip ahead on position in the draft, the person you skipped, would fall on position, essentially you would swap draft positions for one round.
8/15/2013 12:41 PM
Posted by SpotSell on 8/15/2013 12:41:00 PM (view original):
Yes, I would like to see a skip card be a literal skip, you would skip ahead on position in the draft, the person you skipped, would fall on position, essentially you would swap draft positions for one round.
I think this rewards people that have nothing better to do than stare at the draft all day...
8/15/2013 1:11 PM
We could add the *draw 2* and the *skip* to the *wildcard* and *reverse*, BUT, limit each owner to being able to use only 2 of them
8/16/2013 9:26 AM
I'm not much of a fan of being able to go back to previously closed out teams outside of rd 25. It removes some if the strategy of reversing late in a rd to close out a team. Maybe that's just me.
8/16/2013 5:50 PM
With all the franchises in play, I agree with daddyz. The more good players left for round 25, the more strategy there is in when to use the WC.

One change bulantz made after I badgered him enough was to randomize the first pick in each round. The order remains the same in terms of whom you follow, but instead of moving up one spot per round, the first pick varies. Instead of going 24th in round 1, 23rd in round 2, 22nd in round 3 ... you might go 24th in round 1, 5th in round 2, 12th in round 3... In the setup used for this version, teams picking late really have little choice but to use a WC and/or reverse early if they want starting pitching. The downside is that your time slot varies widely each day.
8/16/2013 6:14 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by grayfoxx on 8/16/2013 9:26:00 AM (view original):
We could add the *draw 2* and the *skip* to the *wildcard* and *reverse*, BUT, limit each owner to being able to use only 2 of them
I actually had a brainwave on how to handle draw 2 and skip, possibly...

Draw Two -- select two players at once. Alternatively, select an additional player from the same franchise either at the end of the round or after it has been REVERSED out of. (ie: two different ways we could write this card)

Skip -- skip yourself; take no player in that round. Used when you don't like anything on the board but don't feel it strategically smart to use your reverse or wild, or have already used them.

If you use a Draw Two but no Skip, you get no Round 25 pick. If you use a Skip and no Draw Two, you get a pick in Round 26. (Alternatively, one cannot use a Skip unless they have already used a Draw Two.)

Just a thought.

I also agree with Josh on randomizing the order. While I do think we should have a pick 1...24 throughout the first 24 rounds, I don't think they necessarily should be in ascending sequence. We've had to burn cards to get our stars, and, while not completely certain that this was the correct strategy, we are fully aware that neither player we burnt a card on was likely at all to last another round. Having to wait until we have over half of our team before we get "top" players that aren't due to card usage (either our own or preceding reverses)... I'll leave it there so I don't sound whiny, because I don't intend that.
8/16/2013 8:08 PM (edited)
A randomization of each round would make the draft process much longer and more chaotic while diluting the strategic purposes of using cards.

It is theoretically a disadvantage to start at he bottom. But if there's been a hallmark of this draft, it's that teams at the top go for short-term gain, choosing good players from weak teams in order to screw following teams out of good players or force them to use reverses or wild cards.

As a result, teams at the bottom of a round consistently have been able to pick the best players from much better and deeper teams. As a result, those superficially "clever" top teams will have to use their own wild cards to get Yankees or Phillies etc. in future rounds. So it strikes me that that current arrangement is quite elegant.

I could see a snake draft, but I'm not willing to sit through a draft that has to pause and reorganize each round. As someone else noted earlier, for those of us trying to pick during the working day, this is already enough of a challenge.
8/16/2013 8:35 PM
The draft schedule would be the same and would be set before the first pick. No need to pause and reorganize anything. All that's being randomized is another 1-24 sequence to determine when each of the 24 teams gets to go first. As with this version, as soon as the clock starts you'll know when each of your first 24 picks is, and will still follow/precede the same owners in each round.
8/16/2013 8:48 PM
In a different time sequence each day? No thanks. For someone at work, following/preceding the same owner is no attraction. Knowing the schedule well in advance is. I'm not saying that your success depends on me. I'm just saying I can't participate under those circumstances.
8/16/2013 8:59 PM
i think what they are saying is that we would know our slots for rd 1-24 in advance, they just would not be consistent

ie you could pick

etc, you would know ahead of time, but it would put in more randomness

8/16/2013 9:02 PM
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the random and I would not have a problem picking 20-24th starting out.
8/16/2013 9:13 PM
123456 Next ▸
UNO - Discussion Thread & Future ideas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.