UNO - Discussion Thread & Future ideas Topic

well we certainly have a lot to think / vote about  :-))

being down in the 20's is sort of lame not only for those who still need to pick a franchise- but all involved when there are just the dregs of franchises left... splitting a few of the high talent, monster 100 year+ franchises like bulantz originally did in the original UNO versions would solve that dilemna and add maybe 6-8 more team options to pick from for teams like the Yankees, Cubs, White Sox, Red Sox, Cardinals, Tigers, Indians & maybe the Phillies would work & guys could still opt for a Terrires, Colt 45's, Highlanders, ect. to force Reverses or utility/mop up picks and make for more exciting last few Rounds.  Ultimately- once we wrap this up next week I can put a few poll questions together for vote & guys can kick it around & decide for the next version.  **Also- if someone else has the time to run a Version 2- be my guest.  I'd be happy to be just a participant.  Either way- I'm glad we got this going over here.  It is too fun of a League concept NOT to be.  Thanks, bulantz for creating UNO, wherever in the West Virginia hills & valleys you may be these days  :-))

8/29/2013 1:31 PM (edited)
You forgot the Indians
8/29/2013 1:01 PM
good call... edited...I thought about Cincy- not sure if there's enough talent pre 1950 to warrant their own split? 
8/29/2013 1:31 PM
Not enough talent??......a perfect reason  to GIVE them a split........we are all cutthroat, arent we?
8/29/2013 2:55 PM
Splitting these teams actually makes it harder on the late draft picks, fewer people to choose from, when the team is announced.  If the goal is to make it harder, this will do fine.
8/29/2013 3:09 PM
Posted by grayfoxx on 8/29/2013 2:56:00 PM (view original):
Not enough talent??......a perfect reason  to GIVE them a split........we are all cutthroat, arent we?
Harrumph!!!!
8/29/2013 3:51 PM
I actually prefer it the way it is. Splitting the teams would mean less of the superbas and the robins. The diversity forced by picking from the lesser known teams actually make it more interesting.

Even if we have not used those teams yet.
8/29/2013 4:54 PM
 Had I not used a WC or Reverse I would have no SP's or much waiting for in my round; just take a peak what is left. With the reduced teams combined with the use of multiple reverses per round this has changed the dynamic. If we use the original UNO set up more people get stuck with worse players making it a true UNO game. Splitting teams does not reduce the robins and colt 45's it's the multiple reverses...The strategy in the past was to force someone to take a robin because the one reverse was already used. Now 3 reverses have been played per round more than 3 times and look what happened....all the teams left at the end are robins and colt 45's. People could not save their WC this long and have all the options at the end. I enjoy this one but there are a few tweaks that would not make it less punitive for the last folks coming up for their rounds now.
8/30/2013 10:58 AM
Posted by jbar8888 on 8/30/2013 10:58:00 AM (view original):
 Had I not used a WC or Reverse I would have no SP's or much waiting for in my round; just take a peak what is left. With the reduced teams combined with the use of multiple reverses per round this has changed the dynamic. If we use the original UNO set up more people get stuck with worse players making it a true UNO game. Splitting teams does not reduce the robins and colt 45's it's the multiple reverses...The strategy in the past was to force someone to take a robin because the one reverse was already used. Now 3 reverses have been played per round more than 3 times and look what happened....all the teams left at the end are robins and colt 45's. People could not save their WC this long and have all the options at the end. I enjoy this one but there are a few tweaks that would not make it less punitive for the last folks coming up for their rounds now.
You could have had Ron Guidry and Steve Carlton in the first two rounds.  There is no shortage of outfielders and first baseman.  Now Lou Gehrig and Billy Hamilton are terrific players, but how much did they eat of the budget instead?

8/30/2013 11:29 AM
Posted by SpotSell on 8/30/2013 11:29:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jbar8888 on 8/30/2013 10:58:00 AM (view original):
You could have had Ron Guidry and Steve Carlton in the first two rounds.  There is no shortage of outfielders and first baseman.  Now Lou Gehrig and Billy Hamilton are terrific players, but how much did they eat of the budget instead?

If we instituted the Skip (to skip yourself from a terrible team) and the draw two (to get two players from the same team in the same round), then I would be in favor of only one reverse per round. Also, I would say that if we put the draw two in, that it could not be played at the top of your round. In other words, I can't name the Yankees at the start of my round and then grab Ruth and Gehrig. But if the owner before me picks the Yankees and takes Ruth, I could take Gehrig and Mantle picking second with a draw two card. What do you guys think? But if we don't have the skip and draw two in the draft, then I would be in favor of more than one reverse being allowed per round. It just gives you more options to build your roster.
8/30/2013 12:24 PM (edited)
One reverse per round basically forces a reverse to be played EVERY round or risk losing your reverse...

If you limit it to one reverse per round, I might recommend finding a benefit to those that never use one... eh, I don't like it. Maybe limit 2 to make this more unlikely?

I know that both cards I used... those players would not have been available to me if I had waited even one more round.

Skip/Draw Two might help... maybe require the Skip to be used before the Draw Two, otherwise it's inherently an inferior card to either the Reverse or Wild Card... (and if you Skip and fail to Draw Two, you get a pick in what would be round 26, at the end of the draft. Draw Two would likely not be used by that many people as such, though, as in many cases an "any franchise" would trump a late-round second option... though maybe those with later picks would use it to get two solid players...)
8/30/2013 2:33 PM
Love the discussion! Keep it coming as there are a lot of great thoughts and ideas here...
8/30/2013 7:06 PM
The Draw 2 I don't really like unless your 2nd pick comes later in the Round like #13 or sooner it gets Reversed or if you play it past slot 13. Getting the top 2 Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs- not a fan of

... But yeah, if we do vote in a Skip Card I think we'd need a Draw 2 to balance it out. Picking 13th in a Draw 2 Round would make you think about when to use it.

8/31/2013 11:02 PM
Posted by toddleduc on 8/31/2013 11:02:00 PM (view original):
The Draw 2 I don't really like unless your 2nd pick comes later in the Round like #13 or sooner it gets Reversed or if you play it past slot 13. Getting the top 2 Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs- not a fan of

... But yeah, if we do vote in a Skip Card I think we'd need a Draw 2 to balance it out. Picking 13th in a Draw 2 Round would make you think about when to use it.

Don't see a need to mandate a draw two "slot". You could still end up with two of an epic franchise... maybe make it so that you can't use it unless at least 3 of the current franchise has gone? Maybe 5? Or maybe a draw two is played whenever, but the second player is granted either at the end of the round or after the team is reversed out of?
9/1/2013 12:33 AM
What if we use a skip card to get to a 26th round, but limit the choices in round 26 to teams that have not been selected yet?
9/1/2013 8:46 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
UNO - Discussion Thread & Future ideas Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.