New Progressive league with FREE AGENCY! Topic

Yes you read that correctly. We will have FREE AGENCY! And we will reward teams for winning. No more having to lose to rebuild your team.

The league rules as they stand. (These can change or be tweaked. I am always looking to make it better)

A. Rookie Draft

As players enter the WIS database, they will be drafted in that season's rookie draft. To prevent tanking, the worst four teams in the league at the 60-game mark will be entered into a draft lottery to determine who will have the first four selections in the rookie draft. The rest of the order will be determined by inverse order of regular-season record. You may sign any rookie drafted in the 1st round for up to 7 years. Any player after that round may only be signed up to 5 years. If an owner misses their first round pick, the commish will make a pick for them at the end of the day so their team doesn't get behind.

*With input from badhabits and dchase9292. We are looking at starting in 1980 with players from 1970 to fill out the starting player pool. And from that point it will be a random rookie draft. The starting draft will be a 1-24, 24-1 snake formate.

B. Trading Draft Picks

You may only trade draft picks from the current year or ones from the next year.

C. Draft After Free Agency Bidding

After the free agency bidding is over, all players not drafted in the rookie draft & all players not won in the free agency bidding will be pooled together and available to be drafted.

*For draft slots you will need open roster spots from expiring contracts or retiring players. This is to keep value on your FA bidding. If you are going to out bid someone you may have to be stuck with that player past his prime.

Example - Let’s say you are looking at 88-89 Cam Neely. And you feel like you are one or two players from a shot at the cup. He has three great seasons left and then he drops off playing on one leg. Are you willing to go five seasons on Cam to have three runs at the Cup knowing you will be stuck with him on the bench for the last two seasons? You’re the GM what do you do? 

*Or you could always trade Cam with some Gold Coins to balance his value.

III. Free Agency Bidding

A. Free Agency

Free agency will work in an auction-style format, with the highest bid winning the player. The amount of Gold Coins spent on a player will determine the length of that player's contract, so spend wisely. Here is the breakdown:

·         1-5 credits: 1 year

·         6-10 credits: 2 years

·         11-15 credits: 3 years

·         16-20 credits: 4 years

·         >20 credits: 5 years

B. Free Agency Gold Coins Awarded

Free agency credits for the offseason will be awarded by first two numbers of team's overall winning % + home wins(minimum of 25).

More Gold Coins will be rewarded for the playoffs and winning the cup.

*FA want to play for winners and have a shot at the cup.

C. Bidding

Anybody can bid on day 1. On day 2, anybody can bid on any player that received a bid on day 1. Only the day 1 leader will be able to bid on day 3. The reason for this, is so you get real bids on day 1 & not have day 1 be a wasted day of bidding. If there is a tie on a player after day 3 bids are submitted, those tied owners will have a day 4 of bidding. If I receive no bids that day, the player is returned to the F.A. pool. If I do recieve bids for them & they are still tied then there will be a day 5 & so on. If there is a single leader, then the bidding is over(obviously). If an owner is M.I.A. for the first 2 rounds of the F.A. bidding, the commish will make bids for them in round 3 so they won't get too far behind.

D. Trading Credits

You may only trade free agent credits from the current year or ones from the next year. You can only receive up to 50 credits during 1 season & following offseason total. Anything received over that will go back to the team that traded them away. During the free agent bidding, you may only receive a total of 25 credits.

E. Adjusting Bids

Once a player is won, you may extend their contract up to the max of 5 years. You must spend the max # of credits to do this. For example, if you won player A with 11 credits he is signed for 3 years. If you really want him for 4 years, you would have to spend 20 credits total(the original 11 + 9 more). Since there is no max # for 5 years, you will have to spend 25 for 5 years. This MUST be stated in the draft forum before the season starts. If it is not stated there, it doesn't count.

F. Carry Over Free Agent Credits

Half of your leftover credits may be carried over to the following draft(up to 25 total). For example, If you have 20 credits leftover, you would get 10 credits added to your following season's total.

IV. Miscellaneous

A. Injured Reserve

If a players is not listed in the WIS database, he will be placed on the I.R. so he doesn't take up a roster spot. That I.R. season counts toward his contract.

B. Illegal Rosters

There will be times when you win too many players & your roster is over 23 players. You will be forced to trade the excess player(s) before the season starts. If you don't & you are forced to cut the player(s) to get down to 23 players, you will inccur a penalty. Any team that has an illegal player on their team after the season starts or has to cut players will drop 5 spots down in the 1st round or their 1st available pick will drop 5 spots in the next draft.

E. Other Trade Rules

You must trade a player for something. It can be as little as 1 free agent credit. Any trade made during the off-season can be put to a vote if it is determined to be lopsided by the commish. It will follow the same rules as an in-season trade. You can trade bidding rights if you were the day 1 leader.

Team Names – Only the NHL teams from there city.

And I would like to control the star power of the league. We don’t need to have five Hall Of Fame players on every team. I would like a 30g player to have some real value. And to see real second pairing dmen on the second pair.

Feel free to site mail me any feedback on the rules. Or any changes you feel will make the league better.

Thanks

6/6/2012 6:26 PM
1. Mr_Gone
2. Poddy
3. Badhabits
4. Jmerch
5. dchase9292
6. maskman46
7. Chaz1803
8. firebirdsd44
9. tractorjack
10. Taybaijor
11. Lazybeaver
12. Peter_puck
13. Nickneely
14. Knightthorn 

6/30/2012 1:42 PM (edited)
Saved
6/6/2012 6:26 PM
Washington Capitals -  Mr_Gone
Toronto Maple Leafs- Poddy
San Jose - Badhabits
Chicago Black Hawks - 
Jmerch
Montreal Canadiens - dchase9292
LA Kings - Chaz1803
Pittsburgh - Firebirdsd44
Detroit Red Wings - tractorjack
Boston Bruins - maskman46
Ottawa - Lazybeaver
Winnipeg Jets - Taybaijor
Vancouver - Nickneely
Edmonton Oilers - Knightthorn 

6/30/2012 1:42 PM (edited)
I'll join, this is a great concept, i am in a similiar baseball prog which is really enjoyable. 
6/6/2012 6:30 PM
Toronto Maple Leafs for me
6/6/2012 6:47 PM
I'm in with the Detroit Red Wings. Finally a league that rewards teams that win. Should be a lot of fun!
6/6/2012 7:03 PM
in...Chicago Black Hawks
6/6/2012 8:48 PM
Posted by jmerch on 6/6/2012 8:48:00 PM (view original):
in...Chicago Black Hawks
Welcome Jmerch
6/6/2012 8:55 PM
Since jmerch took my Black Hawks, I will go with the Montreal Canadiens.
6/6/2012 10:04 PM
Posted by dchase9292 on 6/6/2012 10:04:00 PM (view original):
Since jmerch took my Black Hawks, I will go with the Montreal Canadiens.
Welcome dchase9292 , we are off to a good start. 
6/6/2012 10:14 PM
I'll jump in,
84/85 I believe has enough players ,so no 70s scrubs have to used ??
6/7/2012 12:00 AM
Welcome Maskman46
6/7/2012 12:07 AM
Im in with Losangeles
6/7/2012 9:26 AM (edited)
Attaboy! But maybe you or I should change, so we are in the same division?! What a rivalry!
6/7/2012 11:28 AM
1234 Next ▸
New Progressive league with FREE AGENCY! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.