True Baseball League Topic

As fun and addicting as this site can be, most times I find some pieces to be too unrealistic.  This idea may not work, and that would be perfectly okay, I'm just pitching the idea to see if anyone else agrees.

We would pick a start season, (1885, 1900, 1950, whatever) and for as many teams as there were in the Majors that year, there would be that many owners.  (two teams would be fine per owner)  The concept though would be to take the actual team given by WIS and play a season with them.  The only issue would be who gets the best teams and who gets some of the weaker of the pack.  I feel a random drawing by an owner outside of the league would be fair, as that would ensure the randomness of it.  This would take a great effort of commitment, as someone would have to be the 2003 Tigers or the 2012 Astros, but it would be for the true love of the game.

If anybody's interested, just sign up and maybe pitch in an idea of when you would want to start.  The idea is very open ended, I just want to see LIVE thrive again as it seems to be a steady decline sadly. 

Yeah I like what Chris wrote as well, split season seems fine, and I like the idea of the winner picking next years year. Although, I vote for below average AAA just to fill out squads because looking at the pre-1900s squads, there's so many spots to fill. Maybe going with a random year to start it off should be fine, then the winner picks it next year, Progressive style

1. ratedpg_13
2. topkat
3. cardsin
10/27/2012 11:41 PM (edited)
I like the idea. Perhaps we could have someone randomly pick the season for us to start out season #1. We should keep the leagues to 16 to teams though. It is so difficult to fill 24 team slots.

After the first season is chosen, then a random draft is held to select teams from that season. Divisions would be aligned by geography and/or real life league. If we have 8 NL teams selected, then you would have to take an AL or AA or PA or FL team. EXAMPLE: 1915 IS USED AND 8 AL TEAMS ARE SELECTED SO WE MUST TAKE A COMBO OF NL AND FL TEAMS ADDING UP TO 8. OR YOU COULD HAVE 6 AL TEAMS IN ONE LEAGUE WITH 2 FL TEAMS AND THEN 6 NL TEAMS WITH FL TEAMS IN THE OTHER.

The winner of the league each season would select the next year to play, and then the draft order would be determined by the win/loss record of the owners from the previous season. Worst record picks first...League Champ picks last. EXAMPLE: WINNER OF 1915 SELECTS 2012. OWNER WITH WORST RECORD FROM OUR 1915 SEASON WOULD PICK HIS TEAM FIRST...2ND WORST RECORD FROM OUR 1915 SEASON WOULD GO NEXT AND SO ON...UNTIL WS LOSER AND WS WINNER GO LAST.

AAA could be 6/4 below average and consist of manually drafted players that you don't use to make up your roster.  EXAMPLE: 2012 REDS IS USED AND 25 MEN ARE SELECTED..THE AAA WOULD THEN BE MANUALLY SELECTED USING 2012 REDS' PLAYERS YOU DID NOT PUT ON YOUR 25 MAN ROSTER.

Stadium should be the one used in real life by your team. If correct one is not available, then try to use another one in use at the time.

No salary cap
No WW
No DH unless in DH ERA..then AL only
YES trades

In the instance of a player appearing on two teams...that is OK, but you must use the split part for your team. EXAMPLE: 2012 ADRIAN GONZALEZ...RED SOX OWNER GETS RED SOX STATS ONLY (527 PA)...DODGERS OWNER GETS DODGERS ONLY STATS (157 PA).

10/27/2012 5:25 AM
Summerfield put together a nice $ 85 mil league a few years back.  I'd love to see that one run again.

I think lower caps make realistic leagues.

10/27/2012 7:18 AM
Yeah I like what Chris wrote as well, split season seems fine, and I like the idea of the winner picking next years year.  Although, I vote for below average AAA just to fill out squads because looking at the pre-1900s squads, there's so many spots to fill.  Maybe going with a random year to start it off should be fine, then the winner picks it next year, Progressive style.  I'll start taking sign-ups at this point, if anyone wants.
10/27/2012 12:11 PM
I wiil take a spot..
10/27/2012 1:01 PM
I will sign up
10/27/2012 8:58 PM
Your draft ordering seems problematic to me, because with most seasons the teams stuck in the middle are gonna get stuck there forever.  There's no way for a good owner to break out.  The teams on the top and bottom will just switch back and forth every year, but I bet you could run the league for 100 seasons with a team selection by reverse order or record and half the teams still would not have won a title, while the people initially picking at the top and bottom may have won 6 or 8.  Of course, to combat that you wind up with everyone picking after the top few trying to grab the worst teams they can so they can pick early the next year, and you'll need serious anti-tanking rules to make sure everybody at least plays up to their teams' potential.  I'd use a random draft order every year, or base it on league record vs. RL record.
10/27/2012 9:39 PM
Suppose you hold a mini draft from the teams not chosen say 2 or 3 players.May help some midlle of the road teams ....What do you  think ???
10/27/2012 10:41 PM
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the random draft order every year; just with the winner of the league picking that year.  That idea seems the most reasonable and fair to me.  Thanks cards!
10/27/2012 11:40 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 10/27/2012 9:39:00 PM (view original):
Your draft ordering seems problematic to me, because with most seasons the teams stuck in the middle are gonna get stuck there forever.  There's no way for a good owner to break out.  The teams on the top and bottom will just switch back and forth every year, but I bet you could run the league for 100 seasons with a team selection by reverse order or record and half the teams still would not have won a title, while the people initially picking at the top and bottom may have won 6 or 8.  Of course, to combat that you wind up with everyone picking after the top few trying to grab the worst teams they can so they can pick early the next year, and you'll need serious anti-tanking rules to make sure everybody at least plays up to their teams' potential.  I'd use a random draft order every year, or base it on league record vs. RL record.
Well if we ran it 100 times and the ones at top and bottom won 6 or 8..then I would assume that 92-94 times there would be ones in the so called middle of the draft order.
10/28/2012 11:10 AM
Once we're at 8 guys, I'll randomly select a year and we can get this thing rolling! 
10/28/2012 3:16 PM
True Baseball League Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.