Posted by sjh0825 on 7/2/2013 6:48:00 PM (view original):
yes, if realism is your goal, then don't pitch Joss, or any deadball pitcher (do you really think they'd only give up a few homers if they pitched today?).  Don't steal over and over with 5/5 guy..and on and on...win how you can...if someone can't watch infield in then it's an advantage for the one who is watching.  It's "live" play
His point wasn't that players should only be used as they were in real life. His point is that using a 5/5 runner to get 50 steals takes advantage of another flaw in the setup, by getting far more value than you pay for. You pay for Joss' HR/9.
7/3/2013 3:34 PM
his point was also it was still a flaw in the system.  If you want realism you can't pick which "flaw" you should ignore.  That is a common gripe against bunting that its a  not realistic results, thus "not fair".            and I think you get more for your money with that type of pitcher, as they don't charge you as much for hr/9.
7/3/2013 7:54 PM
Yes they do.  Deadball pitchers got cheaper recently when they introduced normalized fielding.  It's not the HR rates that make them good bargains, it's the fact that the harm to fielding from deadball guys is overstated in the price, particularly for better pitchers who can get away with having more errors committed behind them without being punished too severely for it.  Overusing the 5/5 steal guy is a straight-up abuse of the LIVE system to effectively multiply a player's value by at least 3-5 times.
7/3/2013 8:07 PM
Anyone here remember the superman reliever?  You could draft '94 Maddux and get like 500 IP out of him using him correctly b/c of a glitch in the system.  I remember when everyone was using Douthit for that extreme range.  Meekin & Rusie, those names ring a bell?  Bob Caruthers, he was everywhere.  Charlie O Finley signed a sprinter named Herb Washington specifically for PR purposes.  Carmen Policy tried to make a WR out of track star Renaldo Nehemiah.  I try and draft high % steal guys whenever I get a chance late in drafts in progressive leagues.  I try to always have 1 sometimes 2 on every team I own.  '76 Munson or any I-Rod nails the best PR's out there every time.  I'll continue to draft cheap base stealers.  You draft a good catcher.
7/5/2013 8:27 AM
I have 1887 Pete Browning in a 140mil theme league.  In real life his prorated sb #'s were 123/180.  That's a low % and alot of steals.  Not sure how much extra I have to pay for all those steals.  Through 136 games he is 0/1 stealing bases.  Not realistic to his real life #'s I know, but his % is too low to risk it imho and base stealing is a discipline in this game.  I always have all my guys on "0" b/c the catchers are too good.  Unless they are "4's" and above.
7/5/2013 8:42 AM
very interestinggggg...
7/6/2013 6:13 PM
Posted by arvidjosef on 7/5/2013 8:43:00 AM (view original):
I have 1887 Pete Browning in a 140mil theme league.  In real life his prorated sb #'s were 123/180.  That's a low % and alot of steals.  Not sure how much extra I have to pay for all those steals.  Through 136 games he is 0/1 stealing bases.  Not realistic to his real life #'s I know, but his % is too low to risk it imho and base stealing is a discipline in this game.  I always have all my guys on "0" b/c the catchers are too good.  Unless they are "4's" and above.
This comes from the abundance of good catchers that are drafted. I know lots of guys who will give up anything on offense for an A arm. When playing in theme leagues you will see teams with defensive replacements at catcher. Guys who have 150 ABs in real life but end up catching the 8th and 9th in virtually every game in the SIM because fatigue is calculated by ABs
7/6/2013 6:47 PM
Nothing like battling the war of realism by bringing in a catcher in the middle of an AB in the 8th.
7/6/2013 11:00 PM
Or stealing a base, then pinch-hitting.
7/6/2013 11:08 PM
I just look at all of it as strategy.  We all have the same rules to play by.  Do whatever you need to do because you know others are doing it too.  

I steal bases, then pinch hit all of the time when the pitcher is up late in games.  I steal excessively with low steal/high percentage guys.  I squeeze with the pitcher, but not so much with anyone else.  I don't do any of this because I'm smarter than everyone else; I do it because people did it to me.  I don't usually bring in a defensive C, but I do rest my defensive C against teams that don't steal.  I also rest my base stealing guys against teams playing top defensive catchers.  When I know my team is bad, but I need to hit a live play minimum, I draft a bunch of speed guys at the end of drafts to at least make playing the games fun.

Live is just a different beast to me.  You see every little thing that happens and can react to things as they happen.  Sometimes it's loads of fun; other times it can be terribly frustrating.
7/7/2013 11:15 AM
i don't do the squeeze, but this is WHATIFSPORTS...so the stealing and then pinch-hitting I'll take as a strategy of lesser annoyance...same with stealing 50 bases with a guy who only stole 3-4 in real life...
7/7/2013 8:55 PM
I find the squeeze much less annoying than the constant whining when things go against people. It takes the fun out of it when you score some runs and you get whining about how unrealistic the game is.
7/7/2013 9:41 PM
Posted by blaisebbss8 on 7/7/2013 9:41:00 PM (view original):
I find the squeeze much less annoying than the constant whining when things go against people. It takes the fun out of it when you score some runs and you get whining about how unrealistic the game is.
I think most people do that from time to time...usually not intentionally imo.  I know I've done it, though I try not to.  99% of the time I apologize for it.  Below is an example of the 1% where I don't...

I had a guy do that against me and I didn't say a word.  Next game when the breaks went his way I said I noticed he wasn't complaining any more and he proceeded to call me a douche or something to that affect.  I don't play against him anymore.
7/7/2013 9:59 PM
Touchymuch?
7/8/2013 12:01 AM
Posted by slashtc on 7/7/2013 11:16:00 AM (view original):
I just look at all of it as strategy.  We all have the same rules to play by.  Do whatever you need to do because you know others are doing it too.  

I steal bases, then pinch hit all of the time when the pitcher is up late in games.  I steal excessively with low steal/high percentage guys.  I squeeze with the pitcher, but not so much with anyone else.  I don't do any of this because I'm smarter than everyone else; I do it because people did it to me.  I don't usually bring in a defensive C, but I do rest my defensive C against teams that don't steal.  I also rest my base stealing guys against teams playing top defensive catchers.  When I know my team is bad, but I need to hit a live play minimum, I draft a bunch of speed guys at the end of drafts to at least make playing the games fun.

Live is just a different beast to me.  You see every little thing that happens and can react to things as they happen.  Sometimes it's loads of fun; other times it can be terribly frustrating.
It's fine, after reading this I have no interest in playing you anymore anyway.
7/8/2013 12:02 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.