Bringing Back Old Leagues Topic

I'm going to dig up the 3 year Progressive Franchise twist...
1/24/2014 12:23 PM
I'm glad that this suddenly inspired y'all to get back on this grind.  Kind of exactly what I was going for!  America's Cup was awesome, I'm so down with that and Read 'Em and Weep.
1/24/2014 3:27 PM
Just for kicks, I've bumped a very old America's Cup (donaldjtrump) signup thread.
I've also copied the concept for Read 'em and Weep (BastanRedSox) below.
I'm sure there are other oldies but goodies, but these two stood out in the memory & maybe this will keep the momentum going...

READ 'em and WEEP

ALL DRAFT TIMES ARE EASTERN

I love the idea of this league, and had to see if there was interest to run a current version. If so, it does take time to organize, etc…so if you sign up, PLEASE have patience!

A reincarnation of examinerebb's league, and with the vanishing of Doctorkz I thought I'd see if people were interested in playing this once very popular theme league. You'll be assigned a random season of every player you draft. We'll send each eligible season of a player's career thru random.org's number generator.

It is based on the idea that, even when a real life team has a superstar player, they may not get a superstar season from him. Injuries and slumps will occur. So, when you get your roster posted…you could be reading it…and weeping.

We will have a 25 round serpentine style draft (draft order determined at random.org) . Each player drafted is exclusive to the owner who drafted them, and only your drafted players may appear on your roster. At the end of the draft you'll find out which season of that player's career you'll get to use. This is one league where lucky might be better than good...

Some basic rules to follow…

You must use the full player season in the year you are assigned.

First and last seasons of a player's career will be eliminated if they contain less than 400 AB, or less than 100 IP for a starting pitcher. This is according to baseball-reference.com, not ab/162 or ip/162. I do this because this is where I calculate the available seasons, etc.

Cap undetermined (to help those who make the TOC, the cap will be decided by finding out who has the largest payroll)

No stadium restrictions

Trades …encouraged! You may have some holes to fill. Trades are only allowed after all picks are made.

NO DH

No WW

No AAA

Your stadium will be randomly assigned when your roster is posted

Random realignment

One mulligan refresh for both a hitter and a pitcher.

1/24/2014 10:22 PM
Posted by arvidjosef on 1/24/2014 12:23:00 PM (view original):
I'm going to dig up the 3 year Progressive Franchise twist...
Yes, the '69 to present 3-year rolling progressive was a good league; the mid-1930s one was a hoot.
1/24/2014 10:25 PM
I remember the multiple franchise league at $140M cap ... It had a 4-point system for the teams and year range, with break point at 1950 (e.g. old time franchises like the NYY's, Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubbies, CWS, Braves were 2 points, others 1 or 0.5 points) ... Did soxyanks run that one long ago? ... OBNYY ran the last season (see thread circa May 2013)! ... 
1/29/2014 10:14 PM (edited)
Posted by gusv on 1/29/2014 10:14:00 PM (view original):
I remember the multiple franchise league at $140M cap ... It had a 4-point system for the teams and year range, with break point at 1950 (e.g. old time franchises like the NYY's, Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cubbies, CWS, Braves were 2 points, others 1 or 0.5 points) ... Did soxyanks run that one long ago? ... OBNYY ran the last season (see thread circa May 2013)! ... 
If I remember correctly Gus, with the last one that OBNYY had posted. It had filled and just about was ready to take off, but OBNYY became super busy at work and everyone started bailing out. Didn't he offer it up for someone to take it over?
2/2/2014 11:06 AM
XYGZ and anyone else, I have 5 teams left in America Cup Season 13 on the Live thread. Come on in!
2/2/2014 11:24 AM
I would be back in a Read Em and Weep league in two seconds...the draft is awesome and the random is excruciating! 
2/2/2014 3:10 PM
3 teams left to choose in America Cup ... I smell a grassy baseball field ready for play ...  
2/3/2014 1:10 PM

(1) Read em & Weep
(2) WIS the Boardgame
(3) UNO !

1/1/2016 12:27 AM
Posted by toddleduc on 1/1/2016 12:27:00 AM (view original):

(1) Read em & Weep
(2) WIS the Boardgame
(3) UNO !

I don't remember WIS the boardgame!!!!!!

1/1/2016 12:30 AM
I'd like to see a low cap ;league brought back too. 

Good to see Read & Weep and Pick 6 back.
1/1/2016 12:49 PM
One old league I liked was the Left, Center, Right league ... You select three random franchises- one is OF, one is IF and one is pitching staff/BP ... One refresh per user for one of the teams ... It was played last time about a year ago  ... 100M, no trades, no WW, no clones, 6/2 random AAA players to fill the holes, 40 live games ... 
1/1/2016 2:02 PM
I love #1 and #3 on toddleduc's list as the draft is awesome in both!
1/1/2016 5:21 PM
Boardgame was great but needed some adjustments so fewer teams were screwed at the start. I can get that one going after a few of the others fill. The $140M 4-point league was run by Bilfert.
1/1/2016 6:47 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Bringing Back Old Leagues Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.