5 Season Franchise Blend Topic

Another installment of my popular live "blend" leagues. I've been asked by several owners to run another one and decided to do so with a little tweaking.

$100m Cap

Basically you will put your team together from any 10 season period from a single franchise from the past 100 years (1915-2014). For instance you may choose the Red Sox 1943-1952. From those seasons you will use a single season for each of the following;
1. IF
2. OF
3. Battery - Starting pitching + Catchers
4. Pen
5. Wildcard

So the above Boston team may look something like this; '43 Battery, '48 OF, '44 IF, '47 Pen and a wildcard from the '51 season. All seasons Boston. '46 ineligible for being a playoffs team.

*For the IF, any player with an IF rating can be drafted with your team. Example - In the 70's George Foster had a rating for 1B during several of his seasons. Therefore, if you use a Reds IF season in a year that he has an IF rating you can draft him with your IF.
*Same thing goes for IFers with OF ratings. They can be drafted with your OF if they have an OF rating in the season you choose.
*Battery - Any relief pitcher with at least 5 starts can be drafted with your Starters
*Pen - Any starter with at least 5 relief appearances can be drafted with your pen
*Wildcard - From the remaining unused and non-playoff seasons you can choose ONE player to be your wildcard player
*No player in this league can have his highest salary season used.

As always while checking your roster to ensure that all of your players are eligible, I will also make sure that you don't miss any eligible players.

Here are a few tweaks;
- You can't use any season that your team made the playoffs. So if I choose the '74-'83 Reds to build my team I wouldn't be able to use '75, '76 or '79 to draft my team.
-You can't draft the highest salary season of ANY player. So, if I decided on the '91-'00 Reds and I wanted to use the '93 Reds Battery I wouldn't be able to use Rijo from that season because it is his highest salary. In that circumstance I would have to use either the season immediately before or after the season I chose as long as it is still a season from the franchise you choose. For instance if Rijo was traded to Houston in '94 I would have to use the '92 Reds Rijo.
No overlapping of franchise seasons. So If someone takes the '36-'45 Yankees another owner interested in that period would be limited to the '26-'35 or '46-'55 timeframes.

No Clones
No DH
No WW
AAA below Avg - draft from the 10 year period you choose from your franchise......again, no clones
Use the stadium from your team
Trades welcome

Example: My '83-'92 Reds team;
'90 - Can't use playoffs
'92 Battery - Rijo, Swindell, Belcher & Pugh - plus '92 Oliver at C
'89 pen - Dibble, Charlton, Birtsas, Franco & Mahler (Mahler is a starter but can be drafted because he has 5 or more relief appearances)
'91 IF - Larkin, Morris, Sabo, Doran, Beneivedes, Duncan
'87 OF - Davis (Had to use '86 because his '87 was his highest salary), Jones (used '86 same reason), Daniels, Parker, O'neill, Collins, Esasky (1B but rated in the OF so eligible) McClendon - (C but OF rating so eligible)
Wildcard - '83 Soto

No season is the players highest salary. I've got a ton of players and seasons I don't commonly use. I have platoons and weak spots that I might be able to try to trade to improve. I've got a real bench.
2/21/2015 9:19 AM (edited)
Teams -
1. Summerfield - '83-'92 Reds
2. Summerfield - 2nd team will be chosen last
3. Gus - '59-'68 Dodgers
4. Arvid - '60s Chisox - TBD
5. Arvid - '63-'72 Giants
6. Joshkvt - '97-'06 Red Sox
7. Szczubelek - '36-'45 Tigers
8. Szczubelek - TBD
9. Jesters - '47-'56 Tribe
3/18/2015 11:23 PM (edited)
Nice to see you summerfield! Long time no play! ... What's the cap? ... 
2/15/2015 2:16 AM (edited)
60's White Sox. Specifics TBA
2/15/2015 11:29 AM
I liked the normal one better.
2/15/2015 2:26 PM
Posted by BastanRedsox on 2/15/2015 2:26:00 PM (view original):
I liked the normal one better.
No Bastan, this one is pretty cool. Start digging!
2/15/2015 6:43 PM
Cap will be $100m. figure most teams will be well below that. My Reds team came in at $79m. That will allow for plenty of player movement. Was tough drafting my team. A lot of seasons not typically used. Have some platoons and some holes that I'll need to try to fill. That was my intention with setting up the rules.
2/19/2015 9:44 PM
1997-2006 Red Sox
2/20/2015 8:42 AM
Summerfield: Never played in this league ... You specified any players from remaining seasons for Wild Card players ... Are Wild Card players from any years just players to help supplement the bench, BP, any player that may be used for platoon purposes, or may be an additional starting ace (>150 IP's)? Is there a limit on Wild Card players- say 5 players? ... 
2/20/2015 1:31 PM
For example if I was to take the 59-68 Senators/Twins ... BATTERY: 63 catchers (Battey, Zimmerman) ... 63 Twins starters (Pascual, Stange, Kralick, Stigman, Perry) ... BP: 64 Twin RP's (Worthington, Klippstein, Grant, Arrigo, Pleis, Roland) ...  IF: 67 Twins (Killebrew, Carew, Rollins, Reese, Versailles, Tovar-latter plays OF too) ... OF: 59 Senators (Lemon, Allison, Throneberry, Green, Pearson) ... One WC: OF Tony Oliva from the 65 AL Championship team? ... 
2/20/2015 7:45 PM
gusv:  You can't use either:

Players from playoff seasons:  65 Zoilo

Highest salary seasons:  Again, 65 Zoilo
2/21/2015 10:54 AM
Sorry for the confusion. I clarified the rules a bit above. Your Wildcard is a single player from one of the remaining unused and non-playoff seasons. See the example of my team above.
2/21/2015 12:03 PM (edited)
Arvid, you are correct. I want a league with seasons we don't commonly use.
2/21/2015 12:08 PM
How about the 59-68 Dodgers? ... BATTERY: 63 catchers (Roseboro, Camilli) and and pick from 63 SP's (Koufax, Drysdale, Miller, Podres, Wilhite- all with over 5 starts) ... BP: 68 (Aguirre, Romo, Grant, Billingham, Regan, Brewer, Sutton- all with 5 relief appearances minimum) ... IF: 59 (Gilliam, Hodges, Larker, Neal, Baxes, and Wills) ... OF: 61 (Moon, Fairly, Snider, Howard, Davis) ... WC: 67 Parker or Osteen (only one of them)? ... 
2/23/2015 2:52 AM (edited)
It seems it took me a couple of drafting rounds to get the hang of this .... I'll go ahead break my virginity in this league and take the 59-68 Dodgers ... 65 Dodgers-Twins World Series is the first WS that I heard thru the radio when I was a kid from Cuba in Radio Free America with my dad before we left in 66 ...  
2/23/2015 12:22 PM (edited)
1234 Next ▸
5 Season Franchise Blend Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.