Old Question. Pitchers shouldn't squeeze, but... Topic

I finally gave in a long time ago that people don't think it's realistic to squeeze because of a perceived error in the program.  I've played along and not squeezed for years.  What isn't right is then they turn around and UNREALISTICALLY keep their infield back.   How is that fair or realistic.  I should just let my pitcher hit into lots of double plays in game winning / losing situations? (DP situations)

So if the gentlemen's agreement is not squeezing, shouldn't it be no infield back?  

And I was shocked when an old timer squeezed on me the other day.   I don't see them ripping him,  like I saw them do me and others back when. I'm sure i'm not the only one he does it to. 

I think if infield is back, you are inviting a squeeze, program error or not. Problem is if you just squeeze anyway, many will get angry and publically say the won't play live with you.

Thoughts?

11/25/2015 7:40 AM (edited)
and back to the old question, those being squeezed on rarely see the failed squeeze plays.  The offense manager still sees the  strike outs, line outs, pop ups, double plays, etc. on squeeze attempts.  The defense thinks it's just a normal at bat.  So the feeling is the squeeze ALWAYS works and shouldn't. Then I tried samples live vs sparky and it didn't work all the time.  (still successful a bit too often).  Those who are set against the squeeze claimed it was a different program.  I think not.  What I don't remember is if Sparky brought the infield in in most of those situations?
11/25/2015 7:44 AM (edited)
most people don't play the infield in because they're not paying attention, not because they're exploiting the knowledge that you wont bunt.

11/25/2015 1:57 PM
^
11/25/2015 2:21 PM
Bottom line -- everybody pays for their teams and can manage them anyway that they want. I don't care if guys squeeze, run up scores, or throw games. It's their nickel...
11/25/2015 2:23 PM
Most/many people won't gripe about a pitcher or .190 hitter squeezing. Obviously some hate that also and I don't do it, but I won't fault someone for doing it. It's other position players squeezing in a run that I feel is taking advantage of a system that is flawed. The flaws as I see them:
- Requiring that much attention be paid to a computer game. The default fielding configuration with a runner at third should be a middle ground between conceding the run and bringing the fielders all the way in. The sim equates not specifying IF In with playing back.
- The sim logic doesn't seem to account for the possibility of the runner simply holding at 3B, which — unless you press H&R along with bunt for a suicice — should be the result 50-60% of the time. Especially 1st/3rd 0/1 out when people face the choice between a DP or an opponent-angering bunt. That play should be an out at first with the trail runner advancing and the guy at third staying put at least 70% of the time. Instead, it is 0%.

The overall reality hasn't changed in the 8 years I've been playing. The bunting logic has flaws that can be exploited. Where "exploited" begins and "taking advntage" ends is up to each of us, unfortunately. I adapt by not playing important/playoff games with people who will bunt until I can pay attention to every at bat.
11/25/2015 2:39 PM
Once I learned that squeezing was frowned upon, I refrained. But over and over again I found myself in situations where the opposing manager failed to bring the infield in, and I hit into a double play.
Finally, fed up in a big game, I squeezed and my opponent said "really now?"
So I didn't do it again.
But recently, I lost three playoff games in a best of 7 series by scores of 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2. On several occassions I refrained from squeezing.
I'm ******.
No more mr. Nice guy.
If you leave the infield back, expect me to squeeze.
If you're not paying attention, that's your problem, not mine.
11/25/2015 4:20 PM (edited)
well interesting arguments on both sides.  But I lean towards coyote's thoughts.  You guys are right it is my dime.  And I wouldn't do it with a good hitter.  But Mark Belanger?  Yep, same as a pitcher to me.   Thanks guys.
11/25/2015 9:23 PM
I agree wit steve, coyote, and sjh's last post ... I never signed up to that gentleman's agreement and I bunt (squeeze) often with my pitcher with men on base and less than two outs ... When I was young prior to 1973 (the year DH's came on the AL), it was common in MLB games for the pitcher or a weak bat position player to bunt (or squeeze) with less than two outs and men on base ... Per baseball-reference.com, in the last twelve years, it has not been unusual to see players hit sacrifice hits 20 times or more (e.g. players like Javier Vazquez, Juan Pierre, Roy Oswalt, Omar Vizquel, and Ryce Clayton) ... My suggestion to those that love hitting away is to create high cap leagues (e.g. 150M and above) with DH for all teams ... 
11/25/2015 11:03 PM
My problem is this.  People have run the numbers, and the percentage of squeeze attempts that result in the run scoring is not far off the historical average.  That's not the problem.  The problem, as I've seen it explained in the past, is that some owners were squeezing too often, and that the success rate would not have been the same if teams were squeezing 150-200 times per season instead of, say, 12.

Then those same guys will go take a guy like 2009 Chase Utley (23 steals, 0 CS) and have him go 83/97 stealing bases.
11/26/2015 3:01 AM
but you can counter excessive base stealing by drafting a catcher with a great arm. there's nothing you can do about someone bunting.

i agree with josh's take, i dont think its outrageous if you bunt with a starting pitcher or an awful hitter, but if you're doing stuff like pinch hitting with pitchers late in games to put a squeeze bunt down (keymaster did this to me once), then you are a scumbag and blatantly cheating.

11/26/2015 11:48 AM
Next time someone gets crazy about a pitcher squeeze bunt,  I'll refer them to this post.
11/26/2015 12:43 PM
I'm only aware of two people who get upset at a SP bunting.
12/12/2015 10:55 PM
I think I am one of the 2 you are talking about josh. I don't get upset anymore. If someone does it against me I will just use it back only not just with pitchers. I don't like to use it and would prefer to not have it used against me. But if you use it against me be sure I will use it back.
What I don't understand is why it is OK using it with pitchers but not others.
Realistically a player like Rod Carew would be one to use it.
It takes a good bunter to pull it off but many pitchers suck at bunting especially in AL.
If WIS ever makes improvements here seems like they could come up with a bunt rating based on how many sac hits they had. That would give most AL pitchers a poor rating.
Chances of any positive changes here as you all know is very low.
12/14/2015 12:47 PM
All I know is I tried to bunt 4x yesterday with weak-hitting position players such as 1987 Tony Peña, and none of them were successful. And I know Peña could bunt because he didn't hit much most seasons and hitters bunted more then than they do now. So maybe it was fixed too much the other way.

And I reiterate, if you don't want to be squeezed by a pitcher or a weak-hitting position player, play your infield in. I am sick of grounding into double plays.
12/14/2015 1:41 PM
12 Next ▸
Old Question. Pitchers shouldn't squeeze, but... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.