Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/28/2012 1:00:00 AM (view original):
Posted by seamar_116 on 12/27/2012 4:08:00 AM (view original):1 and 2. It isnt an issue of citizens having to prove the need for a right. The government needs to show conclusive proof that a ban on magazines and semi-autos helps. Your side has to prove it and not just imply that it might help.
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/27/2012 2:03:00 AM (view original):1. No you have not shown it. Prove it. Are farmers and hunters less capable now when they were in 1791? Has a new species of super-animal evolved? Are humans encountering more dangerous animals and life or death situations now than 1791? Or are they worse marksmen? Perhaps they should sign up for some additional training in marksmanship with the NRA or their local gun club. That would be a positive, would it not?; the ability to hit your target with fewer shots would lessen the chances that a shot hits an unintended target. You are not opposed to that are you?
1 We have shown a need for farmers and hunters to have semi-autos. And how would you apply this to handguns?
2 Again I oppose all this but I can see where you are making a compromise here so ok. Can it go up to 20?
3 Instant checks are the way to go. I would have a real problem with a 30 day for all weapons.
4 I have a huge problem with this. Explain how this does anything other than facilitate weapons seizures. And gunsafes eliminate the possibility of home protection.
2. No, you have not proven a need to be able to fire 20 shots without having to reload.
3. Why in the world are instant checks the way to go? Do you not want a potential gun owner seriously vetted? I don't care if you have a problem, real or otherwise. What is so pressing that you can't wait 30 days? Your rage might wear off? You might start thinking rationally when you get back on the meds you stopped taking? What exactly IS the problem that can't wait thirty days? I am sure your answer will provide entertaining reading for us all!
4. This is a step in the direction of making sure that people that are NOT supposed to have guns....and you and JClark and Moe and others are all saying that we need to keep guns out of the hands of people that are not supposed to have them. So you give me a method for making sure this doesn't happen. Furthermore, I am not concerned about law-abiding gun owners. We can all agree with that, can we not? I want to make sure that someone who can legally buy a gun is not able to turn around and sell it to someone who IS NOT legally allowed to own a gun. Why would you have a problem with this? Why are you opposed to personal responsibility?
Why would a gun safe eliminate the possibility of home protection? Do you keep a loaded gun strapped to your side at all times? What about in the shower or on the crapper? So you are in favor of having a loaded gun around the house at all times? Even with children around?
Why not have a home alarm system that goes off? Would that not give you an opportunity to get to your gunsafe? Why not keep a baseball bat by your bed and when the alarm goes off wait just around the door and bash the intruder in the head when they enter your room. Unless you sleep with a loaded gun under your pillow I don't see the issue. If they mean you harm and get in to your room while you are asleep you are hosed anyway.
Next post...not sure what your point is...your link (wiki) says it is a semi-auto no longer produced. But I will say this. No resales. If you already have a semi-auto, so be it. I assume it is licensed and you legally own it. But it will not pass on to anyone else. You can be buried with it if you want and no one will pry it from your cold, dead hands.
And yes, if one of your legally owned and licensed weapons shows up at the scene of the crime I do want the police coming to you and asking questions. Don't you?
1 Farmers live in a much more crowded enviroment and predators are more aggresive. Hunters want the coolest guns and they make hunting easier so you can still hunt and maintain a job.
2 I admit some personal preference here. My Uncle owns a FN Fal with a 20 round mag. I think he can lose the 35s if need be. Again I want the Government to show clear evidence that it will help. Did things get better during the Clinton gun ban and if not why?
3 I want the process to be as efficent as possible with the government having as little power as possible.
4 Of course I keep a gun next to my bed. No Children so why not. The image of the Manson clan kicking in my front door is something that always pops in my head.
1. You said <<1 We have shown a need
for farmers and hunters to have semi-autos.>>
Now you say <<It isnt an issue of citizens having to prove the need for a right>>
You said the need has been shown. I am asking you what it is. You stated it...don't try and change your argument now.
2. <<1 Farmers live in a much more crowded enviroment and predators are more aggresive. Hunters want the coolest guns and they make hunting easier so you can still hunt and maintain a job>>
Pretty much bullshit. Please support with some factual evidence. How are predators more aggressive? Hunters want the coolest guns? BFD. What are you, 12? MAke hunting easier = "I don't have to be as skilled at what I do" And what does hunting have to do with maintaining a job? Who are you, Jed Clampett?
3. I'm sorry, I thought we wanted to make sure that we kept the guns out of the hands of the people who shouldn't have them, so law abiding citizens could have them. Again 30-days? Seriously, you are now acting like you have the attention span of a 5-year old. I asked you some specific questions...give them a response: I've bolded them for your convenience.
Why in the world are instant checks the way to go? Do you not want a potential gun owner seriously vetted?
I don't care if you have a problem, real or otherwise. What is so pressing that you can't wait 30 days?
Your rage might wear off? You might start thinking rationally when you get back on the meds you stopped taking? What exactly IS the problem that can't wait thirty days?
I am sure your answer will provide entertaining reading for us all!
4. <<The image of the Manson clan kicking in my front door is something that always pops in my head.>> I think the image of the Manson clan kicking in your
door is something all of us imagine.
Are you that
paranoid? How do you function? What about the serial killer that lives down the street? Or the femme fatale you see at the bar? Or the vigilante hooker you call up from Craigslist? Or the young black kids that moved in across the street? Enraged Comcast customer? Random drive-by? Fender bender involving Suh?