A BLACK POPE? Topic

I wonder if they'll ever tell him to "Lighten up, Francis"
3/13/2013 4:09 PM
Posted by jiml60 on 3/13/2013 3:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rcrusso on 3/13/2013 3:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by raucous on 3/13/2013 3:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by swamphawk22 on 3/12/2013 12:58:00 PM (view original):
How about the Italian guy who is from Argentina...He is my call!
Swampy is teh winnah.
Not sure Peggy will be happy when he learns that the new Pope is considered a "progressive".
The TV in our lunchroom was turned to FOX, Megan Kelly mentioned that and immediately clarified "not progressive in the liberal sense"  Dumb ****.
War on Women!
3/13/2013 4:12 PM
You volunteering for something swamp?
3/13/2013 4:16 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/13/2013 4:09:00 PM (view original):
I wonder if they'll ever tell him to "Lighten up, Francis"
If they do, they may get clubbed with a cross. Good referance todd.
3/13/2013 4:16 PM
To be fair, what liberals consider "progressive" is very different from what moderates consider "progressive".
3/13/2013 4:17 PM
Posted by rcrusso on 3/13/2013 4:16:00 PM (view original):
You volunteering for something swamp?
I am applying the same standard to liberals that liberals apply to Conservatives.

Call any woman a sexist name and you want a war on women.

I am leveling the playing field for 2013.
3/13/2013 4:20 PM
Thanks for over-reacting...and missing the point.
3/13/2013 4:27 PM (edited)
Posted by toddcommish on 3/13/2013 4:17:00 PM (view original):
To be fair, what liberals consider "progressive" is very different from what moderates consider "progressive".
moderates?

On FOX?

3/13/2013 4:23 PM

Bergoglio often rode the bus to work, cooked his own meals and regularly visited the slums that ring Argentina's capital. He considers social outreach, rather than doctrinal battles, to be the essential business of the church.

He accused fellow church leaders of hypocrisy and forgetting that Jesus Christ bathed lepers and ate with prostitutes.

"Jesus teaches us another way: Go out. Go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit," Bergoglio told Argentina's priests last year.

That is my definition of progressive and I am sure the average FOX viewer would disagree with the whole concept of caring for the poor.

3/13/2013 4:31 PM
Posted by rcrusso on 3/13/2013 4:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 3/13/2013 4:17:00 PM (view original):
moderates?

On FOX?

Why are you trying to combine what I'm saying with Fox?  A liberal thinks "progressive" is one thing; a moderate thinks it's something else; and the conservative has yet another perspective.

Whether it was said by Fox, MSNBC, or Stewie Griffin is irrelevant.  It was a reasonable thing to say (although it apparently ascribed more interpretive skills to the audience than it should have)
3/13/2013 4:35 PM
Posted by rcrusso on 3/13/2013 4:31:00 PM (view original):

Bergoglio often rode the bus to work, cooked his own meals and regularly visited the slums that ring Argentina's capital. He considers social outreach, rather than doctrinal battles, to be the essential business of the church.

He accused fellow church leaders of hypocrisy and forgetting that Jesus Christ bathed lepers and ate with prostitutes.

"Jesus teaches us another way: Go out. Go out and share your testimony, go out and interact with your brothers, go out and share, go out and ask. Become the Word in body as well as spirit," Bergoglio told Argentina's priests last year.

That is my definition of progressive and I am sure the average FOX viewer would disagree with the whole concept of caring for the poor.

Your comment underscores my point.

Frankly, I think far too much is made of the Catholic Church and their various doctrines.  Ask the average Catholic about any of it, and you'll likely get a blank stare.
3/13/2013 4:37 PM
Posted by raucous on 3/13/2013 3:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by swamphawk22 on 3/12/2013 12:58:00 PM (view original):
How about the Italian guy who is from Argentina...He is my call!
Swampy is teh winnah.
No, swamp meant Diego Maradona.
3/13/2013 4:51 PM
3/13/2013 4:52 PM
I think pointing out that a term has a different meaning than what their fans may be used to is a valid point.

This is 24 hour news. You need to talk about anything.

3/13/2013 5:18 PM
In the shot time since he was elected I have heard people describe him is many ways.

As both a conservative and progressive.

One moment they talk about how he will keep things the same, and then the new things he might do.

Clearly the American media is used to talking about American politics and anything that doesnt really fit in that box becomes confusing to them.

Someone who wants to help the poor and is anti-gay marriage seems to really stump them.
3/14/2013 12:05 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
A BLACK POPE? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.