What are you reading? Topic

This is a great read flows very nicely, Crazy '08. About the 1908 Baseball season.
8/31/2012 10:58 AM
Peter Heather's "The Fall of the Roman Empire" - best modern account of how it happened, hard to put down. 

But I just finished Harry Turtledove's "How Few Remain" which was as good as I had heard. Except I can't recall who it was here that told me to read it - mensu1954 maybe ? biglenr ? Whoever it was thanks. I will get to the rest of the series as soon as I find the time, which unfortunately won't be right away. 

9/2/2012 11:41 AM (edited)
The Selfish Gene., by Richard Dawkins  Maybe the biggest impact any book has ever had on me.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Selfish-Gene-Edition-Introduction/dp/0199291152
9/2/2012 12:13 PM
STILL LIFE WITH CROWS-- PRESTON+CHILD

THE HALDEMAN DIARIES- H.R.HALDEMAN
9/16/2012 6:31 AM
Finished "Barbarians at the Gate", picked up "Give Me Tomorrow" for a flight cross-country.  Good story about the Chosin Reservoir stand/retreat in Korea, but not particularly well-written.  Just started re-reading "Abandon Ship!" about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis in WWII (immortalized in Jaws).
9/17/2012 12:40 AM
Pacific Crucible by Ian Toll.  About the 1st year of the war in the Pacific.
9/17/2012 10:58 AM
UNDERGROUND EMPIRE---- JAMES MILLS

WHERE CRIME+ GOVT. EMBRACE----------AWESOME
11/9/2012 6:12 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Currently reading a 9 book series by Jack Whyte.  The Camulod chronicles,  The forging of Authur's Britian.  Am on book 4 right now.
11/11/2012 3:51 AM
Just finished Wolf Hall.  Story of Thomas Cromwell at the court of Henry VIII. 
11/13/2012 12:17 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 11/10/2012 8:33:00 PM (view original):
Keynes: The Return of the Master - Robert Skidelsky

Should be required reading for every American...each generation re-learns that Keynes was pretty much right about everything.
Well there's a totally subjective opinion that a significant majority of the economists I know would disagree with...
11/13/2012 9:11 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by contrarian23 on 11/15/2012 12:12:00 AM (view original):
"Opinion"?  I suppose.  In the same way that saying "Einstein was right about physics", would also be an opinion.
"Totally subjective"?  No.  In fact the whole point of the book is that there is an overwhelming amount of objective evidence for the thesis.
"A significant majority of the economists you know would disagree with"?  Exactly why Skidelsky should be mandatory reading for all Americans, so they don't get misled by what passes for contemporary economic thought.
I'll buy it on your recommendation, but as an economics major, I'd argue that the objective evidence overwhelmingly would suggest Keynes was wrong about most things. I'll wait to pass judgment though until I read the book.
11/15/2012 1:09 AM
While I'm in the forum, I started three books this week: One for work, one for exercising my mind, and one for fun. They are (in no particular order, well, the order I pulled them out of my briefcase):
Anarchy and Legal Order: Law and Politics for a Stateless Society by Gary Chartier,
But Didn't We Have Fun: An Informal History of Baseball's Pioneer Era
by Peter Morris, and
What Women Want: The Science of Female Shopping by Paco Underhill.

I'll let y'all figure out which belongs in which category. 

So far, I think one of the authors is off his rocker, another is a poor writer, and the third is very educational. You'd probably be surprised by which is which...
11/15/2012 1:15 AM
Posted by batgems on 8/31/2012 10:58:00 AM (view original):
This is a great read flows very nicely, Crazy '08. About the 1908 Baseball season.
I'll second this. Of recent baseball books I've read, I've only enjoyed 59 in '84 (The story of Old Hoss Radbourn's epic 1884 season) more.
11/15/2012 1:18 AM
◂ Prev 1...12|13|14|15|16...89 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.