What are you reading? Topic

Reading the "Game of Thrones" books... watched the first 2 seaons on DVD... couldn't wait to see what happens in season 3... so bought the book!
2/28/2013 10:44 AM
They are awesome Boot.  I've read them all like 5 times.  
2/28/2013 11:13 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/28/2013 11:13:00 AM (view original):
They are awesome Boot.  I've read them all like 5 times.  

Thanks for the recommendation... I'm looking forward to reading them!

2/28/2013 8:20 PM
BLOOD AND THUNDER-- THE EPIC STORY OF KIT CARSON AND THE CONQUEST OF THE AMERICAN WEST. BY HAMPTON SIDES
3/16/2013 3:37 PM
Just finished Thomas Hauser's "The Black Lights" not just the best book ever on boxing but as good a book as I have read in any field in a while. 
3/24/2013 8:57 PM
Born in Blood and Fire: A Concise History of Latin America by John Chasteen. A highly readable and interesting survey history of the rest of the Americas.
3/24/2013 10:46 PM
seamar116, check out the magnificent trilogy by Eduardo Galeano called "Memories of Fire" - it is the whole history of Latin America from before Columbus to the 1980s when it was written.

But it is a unique book, like no other - it is in the form of very short vignettes - the story of this historical figure, of that government, of this community, a war here, a revolution there, the working conditions of an industry there. So you can't put it down. You have to go somewhere, work, do something else but you figure, "I can read one more short chapter and see what's next" and you keep reading. 

Second, the writing is unbelievably good - the English translation is superb (so is the Italian translation for that matter) from the original Spanish and it reads like an epic poem in clear, simple language with structure of short bios and historical narratives. 

One the best books ever written. 
3/25/2013 5:56 AM
Posted by italyprof on 3/25/2013 5:56:00 AM (view original):
seamar116, check out the magnificent trilogy by Eduardo Galeano called "Memories of Fire" - it is the whole history of Latin America from before Columbus to the 1980s when it was written.

But it is a unique book, like no other - it is in the form of very short vignettes - the story of this historical figure, of that government, of this community, a war here, a revolution there, the working conditions of an industry there. So you can't put it down. You have to go somewhere, work, do something else but you figure, "I can read one more short chapter and see what's next" and you keep reading. 

Second, the writing is unbelievably good - the English translation is superb (so is the Italian translation for that matter) from the original Spanish and it reads like an epic poem in clear, simple language with structure of short bios and historical narratives. 

One the best books ever written. 
italyprof,

I have Mirrors and Open Veins of Latin America. I am currently taking a class on the history of Latin America and about half way through. I will check out Memories of Fire, Thanks.
3/26/2013 9:14 AM
THE GREAT BRIDGE--THE EPIC STORY OF THE BUILDING OF THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE-----DAVID MCCULLOUGH
4/8/2013 7:05 AM
I,CLAUDIUS-----ROBERT GRAVES
5/1/2013 8:00 PM
Capitalism and Slavery by Eric Williams...the first prime minister of Trinidad and Tobago....a historian who entered politics.
5/2/2013 9:16 AM
A great book and a classic and pioneering study. Let us know what you think of it. 

Do you know CLR James, The Black Jacobins ?

James had been a mentor to Williams and then worked for Williams' government for a few years after Independence, before they had a falling out. 
5/2/2013 9:19 AM
Williams book has been extremely readable...not at all pedantic and academic...although it is well sourced. I am enjoying it...not that I am looking forward to the paper that follows! I am especially intrigued by his critique of the abolitionist movement...pretty much shoots down any moral high ground by saying it was all about the Benjamins  (not in so many words of course)
5/6/2013 7:45 AM
Yes, that movie "Amazing Grace" , about the British abolitionists, was just awful. The US abolitionists were a different thing - Douglass, Garrison, Tubman, Truth, Phillips, and John Brown were the real thing. No one has made a great film about that movement unfortunately which would be truly inspiring, though "Glory" and "Amistad" at least capture a little of what they stood for and fought for and also at least hint at  the degree of commercial interest involved. 

There is a great, devastating review of that film about British abolition by a historian friend of mine here: 

http://www.counterpunch.org/2007/02/28/an-amazing-disgrace/

5/6/2013 9:16 AM
THE PASSAGE OF POWER- VOLUME 4- THE YEARS OF LYNDON JOHNSON-----ROBERT CARO

AWESOME SO FAR-----GREAT, GREAT WRITER
5/24/2013 8:09 AM
◂ Prev 1...17|18|19|20|21...89 Next ▸
What are you reading? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.