Sunday- August 5th, 2012
1. A week off is really a nine day vacation if you do it right. Go me!
2. If two pitchers are both eligible to come in and have the same role, Sparky chooses the pitcher with the lower OAV.
3. It doesn't take a french chef to make shrimp and scallops taste good.
4. Everyone has an opinion on tanking in progressives, I think it's hard to totally stop but as long as I guy isn't blatantly trying to lose individual games on purpose I am okay with it.
5. I find myself sort of emotionally attached to some players on my progressive teams. Brooks Robinson's career is coming to end for one of my teams and I find myself unwilling to cut him loose. I know there are better options at 3b for his last three years or so but I don't want to let the Hoover Vac go.
6. Generally speaking, my teams do pretty well (or at least better than they should) when I have strong defense up the middle (CF,SS, 2b) and not horrendous defense on the corners. I almost never pay attention to catchers. Much like my long college career, I am happy with D+.
7. With that being said, if you have the an opportunity to outhit the world, do that. If you are interested, check out my Boston Red Sox team in a 1930's progressive. We score like a bajillion runs a game (but now that I think about, I have at least average defense up the middle).
8. I have no idea how defense numerically effects pitching (and innings needed) but I know it does and it is "significant". I am willing to bet something like A range defense up the middle saves pitchers about 20 innings (or 60 batters, or 240 pitches) a season over there expected performance. Take that elbirdo!
9. Every time I read a post that includes terms like "opposed roll" or "like rolling a hundred sided die" I wonder if the poster plays Dungeons and Dragons.
10. I am convinced that merely logging on and checking your team three times a day adds about 5 tpo 10 wins a season to the average non math geek. My teams really suffered this summer when I could live on line. They're gonna flat out suck from August to November.
11. I am pretty sure I am the only American under 80 that uses reuses coffee grounds.