I have always found that a good team name is key for sucess.  Take my last team.  They had a dreadful .270/.320/.390 line playing in Hilltop!  But with a cool team name like "Simulated Woodgrain" they beat out Thunder and the Sandman for a divsion title, swept through the first couple of playoff rounds and brung home a 7th ring in 6 games for me.

Please tell me how a great team name has affected your teams-- or conversly describe how a bad one killed your playoff hope.
1/14/2012 12:01 AM
Years ago, DoctorKZ was running a 5-season blacklist league.  My first three teams had my usual style of team name, and all three were mediocre underachievers.  I couldn't come up with a fun name for the 4th season team, so I just called them Blacklist #4 (with my usual MXC in front).  They won the World Series and a TOC with that generic name, which makes me think team name really doesn't matter, but then again...

I've named two teams after the catchphrases of the rich Russian guy from the DirecTV commercials; MXC Opulence, I Has It and MXC I'm Epic Win.  Both won the World Series.  Coincidence?  Gregor thinks not...

Two teams have had the word Shark in them, and both won the World Series, with one also winning a TOC.  MXC Jaguar Sharks (from The Life Aquatic) and MXC Salsa Shark (from Clerks).  Maybe there is power in a team name...

I'll name my next team Gregor's "No Pain, No Pain" Sharks.

1/15/2012 11:32 AM (edited)
MOST FUN I EVER HAD WAS WITH THE CAPE COD CLAMMERS

MOST CREATIVE NAMES WERE WITH MUDBONES MACABRE DEATH LEAGUES

SEEM TO DO BETTER WITH THOSE THAN WITH  CITY/YR TYPE NAMES
1/14/2012 2:21 PM
Gregor's "No Pain, No Pain" Sharks won 112 games and the World Series.  I'll have to try that again.
3/22/2012 7:35 PM
Posted by skunk206 on 1/15/2012 11:32:00 AM (view original):
Years ago, DoctorKZ was running a 5-season blacklist league.  My first three teams had my usual style of team name, and all three were mediocre underachievers.  I couldn't come up with a fun name for the 4th season team, so I just called them Blacklist #4 (with my usual MXC in front).  They won the World Series and a TOC with that generic name, which makes me think team name really doesn't matter, but then again...

I've named two teams after the catchphrases of the rich Russian guy from the DirecTV commercials; MXC Opulence, I Has It and MXC I'm Epic Win.  Both won the World Series.  Coincidence?  Gregor thinks not...

Two teams have had the word Shark in them, and both won the World Series, with one also winning a TOC.  MXC Jaguar Sharks (from The Life Aquatic) and MXC Salsa Shark (from Clerks).  Maybe there is power in a team name...

I'll name my next team Gregor's "No Pain, No Pain" Sharks.

I've always wondered about your "MXC" prefix. Reference to "Most Extreme Elimination Challenge?"
3/22/2012 9:52 PM
Indeed it is.  It's part of an inside joke with my brother that just stuck.
3/22/2012 10:01 PM
I was just thinking of posting a similar question. 

Provided I can do it within the context of theme rules, I always try to name my teams using two words which are anagrams of each other and make a phrase, reflecting my comeptitve Scrabble playing (yes, competitive Scrabble.  It's a thing.)  Amongst my personal favorites:

Redbait Tribade
Harmonic Omniarch
Coolest Ocelots
Neoteric Erection
Erotical Loricate
And a current team, Parmesan Spearman.

Of course, by far my greatest success (losing in my only trip to a TOC finals) was with a team that didn't follow this convention (Guys Who Love Getting Balls).

3/23/2012 5:40 PM (edited)
I named a team in schwarze's tournament "Aces and Eights" and if I remember correctly they stayed in last place all season. Won't see that one from me again!
3/23/2012 3:39 PM
I am not naming anymore teams after the titles of books by friends of mine. All disastrous W-L records. Teams named for actual historic events "The Seattle General Strike" (it was in 1919 - the team plays in the Kingdome), my troubles with losing teams ( "Good Grief Charlie Brown"), and my family members - one named for the part of Denver my sister lives in (team plays in Coors of course) and one for my wife and daughter ("my brown eyed girls") have either winning record early in their respective seasons or are right around .500. 

Beyond this, I see little pattern and no pennant contenders just yet.  But clearly the personal wins over the intellectual, family over friendship and literature. That and better pitching are the two main lessons I have learned. 
3/30/2012 8:07 PM
My 2 WS winners both took their names from Stephen King's novels. 

The Derry Deadlights and Captain Tripps both won in 7 games.

I believe there was one other team named this way that didn't make it, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
3/30/2012 11:29 PM

long ago, my all Pete Rose team - Pete Rows

3/31/2012 11:22 AM
There was an owner once who pulled out of a tournament I was running because for one specific round I asked each owner to set up their team name in a specific way (i.e., Year, City, etc.).  I can't even remember what the theme was - all I needed was an easier way to verify rosters before we started.  This particular owner said his wife always picked his team's names and if she couldn't do it, he was out.

Therefore, he was out...

3/31/2012 12:48 PM
A number of years ago someone ran a Rusty Kuntz tribute league. As you can imagine the team names were, um, creative. Probably not for everyone.
4/12/2012 11:27 PM
Just had my first team make it to a TOC final (not counting my fatigue test team that swept a TOC after starting 0-1) and I believe the team name has been the key to their success. From biglenr's Devious Weasels League (basically a type of screw your neighbor league). Everybody chooses an exclusive player, then another owner picks the year of your exclusive you have to use, another owner selects a franchise and decade the rest of your team has to come from, and then a final owner chooses your home stadium. I took Mike Griffin, was stuck with his 1888 season, the 1980's Mariners, and Petco. The team was appropriately named: Beastialeighties: Screwing Weasels @ Petco. After losing the WS to another Weasel named team (and I should mention this team came in at only $73.7m where every other team in the league was at least $79.8m) has made it to the finals in the $80m TOC.
2/4/2013 3:11 AM
When I played OLs I always liked to come up with history related team names: Sherman's March, X'ian Warriors, The 10,000 Immortals, Agincourt Longbowmen, etc.
All-Time favorite though was "Beat George W. Bush"  Team was composed of entirely Georges, Walkers, and Bushes (with one Cheyney and one Oyler. Team went 0-162. Mission Accomplished. Most fun $10 I've ever spent. Towards the end some tried to foil my plan, without success.

2/4/2013 3:25 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.