I Just don't get It !!! Topic

Thank you crimsonblue that is what I was saying.  That is not a famous quote, just an understanding of my own "faults" and God's direct intervention to redeem me.

"It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad."

C. S. Lewis
3/17/2012 1:34 AM
OOPS!!! Please forgive me, especially as i remind myself of some of our converstaions, napolean. Excuse me, please, while I clean the egg off of my face.
3/17/2012 9:05 AM
It looks like I still need to be hatched as well.  My appologies. Nice explanation.  We are sorry for our faults but its not just a  passive repentance but God's intervention along with our cooperation to sanctify and cleanse us and make us into a new man.
3/17/2012 9:44 AM
Obviously pfatt,chisox, no apology necessary, I was perhaps being a little too cryptic rather than just saying what I meant but I didn't want it to be a 10 page journalistic essay. Anyway if anyone who has read these posts finds the exploration or explanation of Christianity interesting, or even if you are an educated Christian,  I highly recommend "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, or anything by C.S. Lewis, as he is recognized as probably the best  Christian apologetic writer of our time. You will not be disappointed I guarantee it.
3/17/2012 11:32 AM
I read Mere Christianity a long time ago, and yes it was very good.  I like the Screwtape Letters even better. I am reading right now German author Dietrich Von Hildebrand's book Transformation In Christ.  Sometimes a little tough to understand but it does well to help you clear up different imperfections, vices and the sort. 
3/17/2012 1:32 PM
Screwtape Letters was another masterpiece.
3/17/2012 1:48 PM
I don't get why when each time the visitors from another planet come to take me to their ship and perform experiments on me that they don't give me more knowledge about the universe.  Hey, you know, I'm helping them out (not that I have a lot of choice in the matter, but still) by letting them examine me, but the least they could do is give me a few basic tips from their vast knowledge.  I don't get that they always pull up in an old van too rather than just beam me directly to their ship and why they have to come in the form of a human being...they say it's because I couldn't handle what they really look like, but I'm skeptical of the whole thing.  Anyway, I just don't get it.  I just don't. 
3/17/2012 9:49 PM
If I hadn't just read my above post, I would not have remembered that it existed.  I reread it twice.  I don't get it. 
3/17/2012 9:52 PM
Of course you don't remember.  That's not what we they want.
3/18/2012 1:58 AM
They must be giving you some kind of knowledge, you have a winning record in all 16 of your leagues!
3/18/2012 9:17 AM
I don't get LUCK.

I've been able -- by post mortem analysis -- to see good reasons why I've lost some playoffs, such as to owners who built their rosters to allow spot use of the short-season exceptionals Milaki or McDowell or McQuillan or Dumont as starters in key games.

But I don't get why my best teams lose in the playoffs the majority of the time, and often to teams dominated during the regular season. The one that set me off here was a 3-1 division series loss by a 110-win team to a 95-win WC entry that I beat 9-3 in the season series. The owner made no changes in his lineup or rotation from the regular season.

In other words, WHEN you're lucky is the most important factor of all.

My father used to say our family has bad luck at games and gambling. I used to scoff at the idea.
3/18/2012 7:02 PM

You're right Chisox.  I do have a lot of good records right now.  But I'm also in the same boat as Doubletruck.  I seem to get knocked out in the first round all the time. No luck.  Or I'll get put in a division with the best team in the league and miss out on even getting into the playoffs. Frustrating game.  I think I must have ticked off the WIS Gods at some point and they inserted a code into my username that allows me to get close to the holy grail without getting to drink from it.  I'm the Red Sox of the Sim baseball. And I hate the Red Sox.  Oh the torment of it all. :-)

3/18/2012 8:41 PM
Posted by doubletruck on 3/18/2012 7:02:00 PM (view original):
I don't get LUCK.

I've been able -- by post mortem analysis -- to see good reasons why I've lost some playoffs, such as to owners who built their rosters to allow spot use of the short-season exceptionals Milaki or McDowell or McQuillan or Dumont as starters in key games.

But I don't get why my best teams lose in the playoffs the majority of the time, and often to teams dominated during the regular season. The one that set me off here was a 3-1 division series loss by a 110-win team to a 95-win WC entry that I beat 9-3 in the season series. The owner made no changes in his lineup or rotation from the regular season.

My father used to say our family has bad luck at games and gambling. I used to scoff at the idea.
The playoffs are a crapshoot in baseball.  Best bet is to strive to "get in", with players well rested, making the requisite adjustments from regular season strategies and player usage patterns to more qualitative post-season patterns. In my experience one playoff game always gets won by the team with the deepest bullpen,(or why did my rookie mop have to come in?) which could be the difference.  A 95 win team on average should beat a 110 win team almost 45% of the time.  Almost everyone that has had a 100 win team, at some point during the season endured a stretch where they lost 8 of 10, where they couldn't do anything right. I agree, WHEN you're 'lucky'(or playing your best) IS the most important factor of all.  One of the biggest factors is that you just can't simulate the "home crowd factor or advantage" that seems to mean something in MLB, but means nothing here.
3/24/2012 12:48 AM
I just Love, Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple pie and Chevrolet.
I also like being Retired, with good Health.
Now if only, I could figure out this SIM Baseball.
3/27/2012 11:10 AM
Posted by crimsonblue on 3/24/2012 12:48:00 AM (view original):
Posted by doubletruck on 3/18/2012 7:02:00 PM (view original):
I don't get LUCK.

The playoffs are a crapshoot in baseball.  Best bet is to strive to "get in", with players well rested, making the requisite adjustments from regular season strategies and player usage patterns to more qualitative post-season patterns. In my experience one playoff game always gets won by the team with the deepest bullpen,(or why did my rookie mop have to come in?) which could be the difference.  A 95 win team on average should beat a 110 win team almost 45% of the time.  Almost everyone that has had a 100 win team, at some point during the season endured a stretch where they lost 8 of 10, where they couldn't do anything right. I agree, WHEN you're 'lucky'(or playing your best) IS the most important factor of all.  One of the biggest factors is that you just can't simulate the "home crowd factor or advantage" that seems to mean something in MLB, but means nothing here.
I've noticed that it seems more often than not, if you win a crap ton of games in the regular season, you may have a very deep team, or pitching staff, one that can be good, not great all season long.  Some of the teams that seem to 'sneak into' the playoffs, got there on the use and management of studs.  The stamina (lack thereof) and deep roster won't play as much of an effect during a short series, and the 'better players' on the 'not as good' team win.
3/27/2012 3:27 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
I Just don't get It !!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.