Progressive league trades...unfair?? Topic

satisfaction and justification are two different things - yes I found it satisfying to see these stats - which is why I posted them.  but justification is not what its about.  
10/23/2012 8:34 PM
So you're satisfied that you think you lost the trade?
10/24/2012 12:38 AM
yes - in a sense.  Satisfied that my arguments about the trade were shown to be true.  Sure - maybe there's a small part that wanted to make sure players values were what I claimed they were - but I wouldn't call showing the facts a need for justification - 

it's a pride thing.  I said something - most people agreed - but still there were a few that disagreed and I wanted to "prove" myself right - and showing stats is the best way I know how.  Should I just leave it alone?  Probably..but again...it's a pride thing.

10/24/2012 1:04 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Interesting read.
10/26/2012 8:47 PM
was an interesting discussion :) 
10/26/2012 11:50 PM
Good thing your "brother" isn't in the league I'm in with you.  It may be completely legit; it may not be.  I don't know and I don't really care since it's not my league, but as someone said earlier I think it's important to make sure there isn't even a hint of something fishy going on in those situations.  You can argue that's not fair and you may be right, but it's on you and your brother to make sure nobody has to question anything you do.  Things like that can and have torn leagues apart.
10/27/2012 10:49 AM
my brother and I have been in leagues together for years - this owner was the first owner to ever question either of us in the league or any trades we ever made together.  

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the issue - I just don't see an issue as we've both been strong respected owners and have tons of owners who can back us.
10/27/2012 1:43 PM
I have no problem with brothers being in leagues together, but you have to accept that trades are going to be looked at pretty closely - especially on an internet site where nobody actually knows you or your brother (or if your brother exists).
10/27/2012 11:35 PM
oh i understand that - i expect all trades to be looked at closely though - regardless of whether or not owners are "related".    If a trade is legit, it's legit regardless of who the owners are in my mind - and if the trade is suspicious, it should be because of the trade - not because who it's between.  
10/28/2012 12:31 AM
Posted by doubletruck on 10/28/2012 7:20:00 AM (view original):
If I had two teams in the same league, I could make trades that were so subtle that other owners would likely not notice. If they knew I controlled two teams, that would definitely justify extra scrutiny. In your case, we don't know what degree of control you or your brother may have over the other, and most of us have no reason to trust you. So, I say that extra scrutiny is justified solely on the basis of who proposes a trade.
Just out of curiosity, do those annakourn leagues you're in allow trades?
10/28/2012 8:43 AM
Saying "extra scrutiny is justified solely on the basis of who proposes a trade" opens an enormous can of worms. 

I've posted this before, but the immediate question such a philosophy of "extra scrutiny" raises is: where do you draw the line?  If trades between brothers can be questioned, what about between cousins?  What about third cousins, twice removed?  What about people who are friends outside of WIS?  What about people who have never met outside of WIS, but have developed friendships solely because of this site?  What about an owner who gave you a lot of help when you first joined the league?  What about an owner who donated you a free team - as several of us have done for other owners for various reasons over the years?

Most of us don't know each other at all except for a handful of interactions on this site.  No one knows who is related to whom.  No one knows who is friends with whom outside of WIS.  No one knows which owners have helped which other owners out with advice inside or outside of WIS.  It is, in fact, not possible to know these things.  And it would be ludicrous to suggest that any of us in any league should need to explain our relationships - if any exist - with any other owners in the league. 

The merits of trade can only be justified - or opposed - based on the value being exchanged.
10/28/2012 12:36 PM
I don't disagree, but when you can't even be sure it's not the same person and there is an admitted connection, I think the extra scrutiny is justified.  Where the line is drawn is up to the individual.  Vetoes can be used for any reason short of collusion. 
10/28/2012 12:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Progressive league trades...unfair?? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.