Why does my team blow Topic

All my starters are around 5 mil.....and they are getting shelled
12/5/2012 7:54 AM
My hitters have over 190 real life hrs....and none through 4 games....I've lost 15-2, 9-6, 11-2 and 11-1.....my last game I had a 5 million dollar starter go up against a Aaa starter and I got destroyed....what's the secret
12/5/2012 8:02 AM
what's the cap you're playing in? 5mil is not a lot for a starter.
12/5/2012 8:06 AM
4 games...are we talking 4 games  ???
12/5/2012 8:20 AM
Looks like it's going to be a long season.  The rotation in question is 80 Guidry, 53 Lopat, 53 Raschi, 67 Stottlemyre.  In an OL.  Ouch.
12/5/2012 8:56 AM
Actually, it looks like it's a theme league, but nevertheless, the pitching staff has a RL WHIP of 1.22.   You simply didn't draft good pitching and it will haunt you through the season
12/5/2012 11:52 AM
Hmm...the few other rosters I looked at appeared to be classic OL rosters to me, but I could be wrong.  Either way, we're agreed on the diagnosis re: the pitching staff.
12/5/2012 12:32 PM
You're hosed.  You drafted a poor team. 

This has to be frustrating... You drafted a team that is probably better than any Yankee's team you've ever seen play.  The problem is, however, that at $80m, most of the teams you're facing could beat all star teams.  

Pitching is a good place to start.  Your staff has a combined R/L1.22 WHIP, and it comes from years that don't normalize favorably for pitchers.  So your staff WHIP is actually worse than displayed.

Check the team WHIP for the top team in your division.   It's under 1.0.  My guess is that most of the other teams will be similar.

HR's... Are not a good strategy in the sim.  I dislike this as well, but pitchers have more of an influence in suppressing HR's than hitters have in hitting them. 

If you're going to continue playing (and it's fun to play) you'll need to do some research.

Find a good thread on normalization and read it until you understand it.

If you can find the thread I posted a few years ago about the decision tree, you might want to read that as well.  It points out which RL stats are actually used in the sim.  RBI's, Wins, Saves, and ERA are essentially meaningless.

Hope that's of some help.

I once posted a thread telling which stats are important... Basically, though, if you look at WHIP# and HR/9#, you'll d
12/5/2012 12:42 PM
It appears to be a theme league, with teams limited to one franchise.
12/5/2012 12:43 PM
Pro Tip: If the DOMINICAN BOGGS owner is in the league, it's not a theme league.  
12/5/2012 12:57 PM
Pro Tip: if the DOMINICAN BOGGS player is in the league, he is probably going to beat your team anyway.
12/5/2012 1:47 PM
It looks like to have good pitching you need to have a few pitchers from the dead ball era
12/5/2012 5:33 PM
It is an open league, there isn't a theme league description at the top.
12/5/2012 5:56 PM

Well...I don't know about "hosed" as biglen put it, but it's a sub-par staff for the league you are in. The Waiver Wire may help if you can actually improve on your normalized WHIPs and HR/9+ numbers...but you might be going down a rabbit hole.

There are some great threads out there to research...good luck.

12/5/2012 6:25 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 12/5/2012 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Hmm...the few other rosters I looked at appeared to be classic OL rosters to me, but I could be wrong.  Either way, we're agreed on the diagnosis re: the pitching staff.
i searched his team under his user name and it shows MLB103306 which is listed as a theme, not to argue, but only to add clarification to my post.
12/5/2012 7:13 PM
123 Next ▸
Why does my team blow Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.