Welcome to Jossball Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
While I do regularly use '08 Joss (although I do not play OLs any more) I agree 100% with your sentiments. I don't however, use Carter, Coleman, Dilone, or Segui.
1/26/2013 8:26 AM
I like Gary Carter.  And Walt Weiss.  I was using Weiss way before he became popular, though.
1/26/2013 2:22 PM
This happens every few years... time for an update!

Long A - Caruthers - Joss...
1/26/2013 3:45 PM
Dupee Shaw
1/28/2013 2:41 PM
34 in 3 leagues is less than half the total teams, certainly leaves a lot of room for whatever other gimmicks that may or may not win.
1/29/2013 7:55 AM
That probably counts all seasons of Joss, as well...? I'd bet you'd find more Hughie Jennings, & Gary Carters, and probably close to the same number of Cy Young, Greg Maddux, etc... good players with several quality and useable (sim-friendly) seasons... If you're only talking a single season of Joss, then I'd say that's a bigger problem, but only marginally so. He's one of the best pitchers out there, period. Even when his salary was $14 some odd million you'd find a few 1908 Joss in any league, and a few of his other seasons as well.

It's not like the Caruthers situation when half the teams in a league all had the same Caruthers, plus the same Ruth, plus the same Walter Johnson.

Yes, Joss, is underpriced, but there's still tons of variability, especially compared to past cookie situations. I still see more varied teams in any OL than just about any time other than immediately after an update.
1/29/2013 1:09 PM
Posted by boogerlips on 1/29/2013 10:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/26/2013 2:22:00 PM (view original):
I like Gary Carter.  And Walt Weiss.  I was using Weiss way before he became popular, though.
I was using Weiss before Dahsdebater was using Weiss who used him before he was popular.
I was using Weiss (and Tony Fernandez) before either of you joined WIS, which was before you were using Weiss before Dahsdebater was using Weiss before he was popular
1/30/2013 1:19 AM
(this time around, but not that time... that time he was a cookie was when I discovered him, but not because he was a cookie -- as I didn't play in OLs -- because he was a cheap SS -- which is why he was a cookie -- for low cap leagues).
1/30/2013 1:20 AM
Posted by boogerlips on 1/29/2013 10:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/26/2013 2:22:00 PM (view original):
I was using Weiss before Dahsdebater was using Weiss who used him before he was popular.
I was using Weiss before you existed.  Go sit in the corner, young'un.
1/30/2013 5:14 AM
I remember when Walt Weiss was an actual person that played baseball for Oakland. Does that count ? 
1/30/2013 6:28 AM
Although I don't disagree with your premise, having teams almost entirely consisting of  switch-hitting, speedy slap hitters like yours are just as prevalent and done over and over and over again too.
1/30/2013 4:57 PM
Leagues are not just a bunch of individuals who can or should be allowed to do what they want. You pay at restaurants and shopping malls, but can't take a pee in public or throw food across the room without getting kicked out or worse. 

Students pay for college but still need to fulfill requirements to pass course, remain in the them and stay in college or get their degrees. 

Leagues are public goods, collective environments in which cooperation with others is as important as competition. And WIS is a larger collective environment of interaction among many people across different leagues. The rules for co-habitation in the environment, for what makes it a satisfying environment for all or most are important and do not only include the laws that apply, nor the official rules of the site, but also what the US founders in the Declaration of Independence called "a decent respect for the opinion of mankind."
1/30/2013 5:16 PM
12 Next ▸
Welcome to Jossball Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.