who do you know Topic

Went to high school with Ed Vosberg.

Also went with to high school with John Fina (OL for the Bills) one year under me.

Had a class in college with Steve Kerr and Shawn Elliot (Arts History)

Shook Muhammad Ali hand and played craps with Mike Tyson

2/13/2013 10:04 AM
I played HS football against Kevin Johnson (WR NFL and Syracuse)  he was  a QB in HS.   I intercepted him and recorder my only career sack against him.

I had a conversation with Bill Bradley at a workshop once.  He is tall.

Tre' Thomas (OL in the NFL) came to one of our practices (one of my coaches played college ball with the old center of the Eagles) and talked to the kids he was the biggest dude I have ever seen.

Urban Meyer once walked into me at a Football Convention in AC.   He apologized.

Steve Rogers is my friend's parent's neighbor.  I can't quite figure out a way to work in to a conversation that I have always wanted to draft him in a progressive draft.

I eat Case (George Case Yankee in the 40's) Pork Roll all the time.

I had a beer with the dudes from the Gin Blossoms one time (actually, it was I had a beer near the Gin Blossoms), they were friendly.

I went to college with a Coors (as in Brewing Company) and a Macaroni (Bar and Grill).

2/13/2013 10:13 AM
One year behind Dennis Leonard in HS.

Was in an elevator with a very drunk George Brett in my apartment house.  Classic moment (for me anyway.)

Met Bret Saberhagen in Palm 2 NYC. (He had a goofy cowboy hat on.)  What is it with me and Royals?

Have had lunch with Ottis Anderson and Bart Oates for charity.  

Have met Tommy John at golf outings.  Nicest guy in the world.

Met Will Clark in an Italian restaurant in Brooklyn.  Thought he'd be taller.

Met Joe Torre (can't recall where.)  He was very intimidating.

Met Paul Blair at the Concord Hotel (upstate NY) while he was with the Yankees.  Not that friendly.

Jeremy Lincoln (NY Giants late 90's) was in my card game for awhile, but the poor guy couldn't win for losing!

2/13/2013 11:33 AM (edited)
Well living in Arizona, it seems like everyone is a celebrity.

I'b better put the boss at the top of the list. Todd McFarlane - cartoonist, created comicbook character Spawn, toy manufacturer and probably best known in baseball for buying Mark McGwire's 70th homerun ball and Barry Bond's 73rd ball.

Played college baseball with Oddibe McDowell. One of the nicest guys...

Played softball with basketball player Dan Majerle, baseball players Greg Minton, Ron Davis, Ken Rudolph, Billy Parker, Scott Lydy, Chris Beasley, Kevin Bell, and Luis Medina. My favorite softball play of all time... Ron Davis playing 1st base with a guy on first... left handed batter hits ball in shortstop hole, shortstop makes the play and hits Ron Davis on a dead sprint  with a throw to force the runner at 2nd base. Yeah... you should have seen it.

Back in the 1990's I got to help out with some Dream Games that pitted old world series teams against each other. 1965 Dodgers and Twins (picked up Mudcat Grant at the airport... sat in the hotel lounge and chatted baseball for a while. Helped out Tony Olivia with a batting clinic... you should see how crooked his leg really is. 1976 Cincinnati Reds and New York Yankees... got to help Mickey Rivers with an outfield clinic... I don't think the kids had any idea what he was saying. Had a great chat with pitcher Grant Jackson too.

Played in a golf outing with Curt Schilling and Luis Gonzalez. Love Luis Gonzalez, but boy can I tell you a few stories about him. I also got to chat with Curt when he was in our office working with Todd on Curt's ill-fated computer game... the one that put him in bankruptcy.

Gene Simmons and the other members of KISS have been in the office. Jamie Foxx and the guy who played Napoleon Dynamite, Jon Heder have also been in the office. I didn't get to talk with them, but it was still cool to see them in person.

2/13/2013 11:28 AM
This is pathethic, but I'll play.  Only actual interactions, not just having player X on the same airplane with me...Originally from Pittsburgh, now near Charlotte NC, home of too many racing teams.
  • 3 games of HS Football vs Dan Marino.  I played nose guard.  I never touched him when he had the ball
  • Bounced Barry Bonds from a pittsburgh night club.  Saw 100's of other MLB, NFL, and NHL players while I worked there.
  • Met Frankie Guistine at his bar when I was a kid.  My dad's bookie worked out of there, before my dad became a bookie himself
  • Arm wrestled Jimbo Covert at a fraternity party in college.  Lost 2 out of 3
  • Was in a charity golf event in a foursome with Ozzie Smith.  He's much better than I am
  • Ditto with Kerry Collins
  • Had dinner with Steve Blass during a Pirates fest.  He was looking for a table to eat quickly, my date and I invited him to join us.
  • Played poker with Bill Elliot and Robbie Gordon (Nascar).   Both were amused that I had no idea who they were.
  • Tripped over Rusty Wallace's boot and spilled my beer on his friend.  Bought his table a round to apologize. 
  • Accepted donation of cub scout pinewood derby racetrack from Dale Earnhardt SR
  • See Dale Jr at church occasionally. 
My funniest (at least to me)
  • Held the purse for a young woman while she dropped her pants to have Jaormir Jagr sign her left butt cheek.  No, I didn't know her, and she was wearing a thong.  No idea who she would show that to either.
That's probably it. 
2/13/2013 11:51 AM
see Tom Lehman (golfer), Dontrelle Willis and Aaron Boone regularly at the Country Club I work at, and their guests (Geoff Jenkins, Shawn Estes, Matt Herges, Brett and Bob Boone etc...) ...for the record, Dontrelle is hilarious and Aaron is one of the nicest guys I've met.  As well as Ike and Ron Davis (also took pitching lessons from Ron Davis in high school, and Ike played on my high schools rival team.  They beat us in the state championship game in what is still the longest state championship game in Arizona high school history (4-3 in 14 innings).  

Received a "top of class" award from Alex Rodriguez, John Halama and Joel Pineiro at a Nike Baseball Camp.  

Matt Perisho's daughter took dance classes with my sister.  

2/13/2013 12:14 PM
Knowing is different that met, right?   I'
2/13/2013 12:25 PM
had a great baseball conversation with former wwf superstar Nasty Boy Brian Knobbs
2/13/2013 1:47 PM
Posted by redwingscup on 2/13/2013 12:27:00 PM (view original):
Knowing is different that met, right?   I'
heck, I don't know anyone....
2/13/2013 2:55 PM
Posted by bottomlee on 2/13/2013 1:47:00 PM (view original):
had a great baseball conversation with former wwf superstar Nasty Boy Brian Knobbs
please tell me you asked for a "pit stop"
2/13/2013 3:52 PM

Grew up in East Texas and Ron Morris (former Chicago Bear WR) and his brother Bam Morris (Pittsburgh Steeler RB) are from nearby so I know them. NFL Hall of Famer Forrest Gregg, and other NFL players Damione Lewis, Tyreo Harrison, Caleb Miller, Keenan Clayton are all from my High School and I have met them all. Not bad for a little town of 14,000. In high school, I played footbal against Jaime Foxx (Eric Bishop).
Through the years around Texas and as a sports reporter, I have met tons of players some are: Drew Pearson, Randy White, Billie Joe Dupree, Troy Aikman, Daryl Johnston, Charles Haley, Jay Novacek, Jason Sehorn (and his actress wife Angie Harmon), Drew Bledsoe, Buddy Bell, Danny Darwin. Keith Moreland. I have met alot of college basketball and football coaches, the most famous is Bobby Knight.

2/13/2013 4:20 PM
Ok, let's see: 

I went to high school with Scott Bradley, who played catcher for Seattle in the 80s. He was the greatest high school athlete I ever saw and his best sport was football - an amazing quarterback who led our HS to a State championship in 1978. 

I worked with Ken Norton Jr., parking cars at hotels and country clubs, before his football career took off.  He was very nice. 

Tom Gatewood autographed a photo for me and gave me good advice when I met him while in Middle School. 

Ted Del Guercio was a close family friend, over our house much of my childhood and I would pitch wiffle balls to him and he would hit them over our house and across the street. Here is his pro baseball record:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=delgue001the

While playing with Wichita in 1954, Ted was part of the biggest trade in baseball history: 

http://seamheads.com/2011/01/28/baseball%E2%80%99s-biggest-trade-ever/

That is about it as far as sports is concerned. Have known or been directly or indirectly connected to many more well known people in music, politics and academic/intellectual life. 

2/13/2013 8:06 PM (edited)
I went to primary school with Nathan Coulter-Nile, who made his debut for the national cricket team as recently as last night (albeit in hit 'n giggle). Relevant terrible-quality video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLP9vmHdJco

Also I once met Terry Tao, arguably the greatest living mathematician.
2/13/2013 8:34 PM (edited)
Posted by italyprof on 2/13/2013 8:06:00 PM (view original):
Ok, let's see: 

I went to high school with Scott Bradley, who played catcher for Seattle in the 80s. He was the greatest high school athlete I ever saw and his best sport was football - an amazing quarterback who led our HS to a State championship in 1978. 

I worked with Ken Norton Jr., parking cars at hotels and country clubs, before his football career took off.  He was very nice. 

Tom Gatewood autographed a photo for me and gave me good advice when I met him while in Middle School. 

Ted Del Guercio was a close family friend, over our house much of my childhood and I would pitch wiffle balls to him and he would hit them over our house and across the street. Here is his pro baseball record:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=delgue001the

While playing with Wichita in 1954, Ted was part of the biggest trade in baseball history: 

http://seamheads.com/2011/01/28/baseball%E2%80%99s-biggest-trade-ever/

That is about it as far as sports is concerned. Have known or been directly or indirectly connected to many more well known people in music, politics and academic/intellectual life. 

Was your hs baseball-football coach Bob Mussari?
2/13/2013 8:58 PM
Let's see....NFL HOF RB John Riggins is my mom's first cousin's first cousin.

Had beers with Dan Gladden once upon a time.

Literally ran into Luc Longley once...felt really short.

While working in a tech support call center, I took calls from and solved issues for Alex Rodriguez and Bert Blyleven.  Arod was a lot brighter than I expected.
2/13/2013 10:03 PM
123 Next ▸
who do you know Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.