How Billy Beane are we really ? - how it ended up Topic

Ok, I have a  progressive team in the deadball era (so little power hitting just to help think this through), and the first two starting OFs are near superstarts. 

Third starting OF goes to either of two players:

One hits .234 with an OBP of .380

The other hits .290 with an OBP of .333

Neither hits with any power and neither has any remarkable SB qualities. Around a tie defensively. Both have good PA. 

So, do you got with the traditional criteria of batting average - a substantial difference between .290, a hitter that could hit third, fifth or sixth,  and .234 - or with OBP - a substantial difference between .380, which would be a player I could put near the top of the order, and .333, which is respectable but nothing to write home about. 

How seriously should we take OBP as a main criteria. I think this one is a good test of recent ideas about baseball strategy. 
2/19/2013 6:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Go with the OBP.
2/20/2013 5:44 PM
Posted by boogerlips on 2/20/2013 5:44:00 PM (view original):
Question is asked.

Boogerlips answers question.

Resolution is procalimed.
HEAD FOR THE HILLS!!!! THE SHOVEL BROKE!!!!!!!
2/20/2013 6:39 PM
Posted by italyprof on 2/20/2013 5:12:00 PM (view original):
dahsdebater, I have two guys currently at the top of the order (season has not started yet, so everything is provisional) who are at OBP: .362 and .365. Not .380 but decent. 

As to how my pitchers hit - I realize only now that I don't know how to check that. 

Thanks. 
One way to check pitcher hitting is to go to a draft center team and search for your pitchers including the search fields Hitting: AVG, Hitting: OBP, and Hitting: SLG (you could do this during the planning stages, IE during the progressive draft).  You can also guess decently if your guys have a few seasons worth of performance history, which does show batting performance for pitchers.  Once you've entered the team you can just bring up your team page.  The first page that comes up is the Regular Season batting page, scroll down to the bottom where it shows the RL stats and pitchers are included.
2/20/2013 6:49 PM
12345 Next ▸
How Billy Beane are we really ? - how it ended up Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.