Opinion.. Editting URL in draft center Topic

I know that most of you do not play in "Screw Your Neighbor" leagues.

In them, you draft the worst team possible, and then when the league is scheduled, the teams get shuffled, and you wind up with someone else's worst team possible.  You trade, maneuver, manage and try to drive this heap of garbage to a championship.

Now, when drafting that pile of garbage, is it OK to edit the URL in the draft center to override the position distribution rules that the draft center imposes?  Ie:  At least one player must have a rating at catcher, even if it's a secondary position.  same for first base, 2nd base, etc.

It is possible, if you edit the URL, to draft any hitter into any position on your roster.  You want to draft 18 players who played only catcher or DH, you can do that if you edit the URL. 

Some believe this is cheating, others becasue the method wasn't specifically banned by the commish (nor was it discussed in a league forum), believe that it is fine.

Your opinion?
- Yes, it's fine to edit the URL's.  It's a SYN league, anything that hurts another player is fine
- No, if the draft center doesn't allow it, you can't edit the URL.

4/26/2013 12:33 PM
It's an SYN league...my thought about these leagues was it was your responsibility to be as creative as humanly possible to stick another owner with the worst team possible. I'd have no issue with it if the commish didn't ban it up front. If it's not specifically stated it is not allowed in the rules, then it's fair game in this type of league.

If it were any other type of league, then I would say no, if the draft center doesn't allow it, you can't edit the URL.
4/26/2013 12:49 PM
I would say it's all fair game unless specifically banned.  It would be up tot the commish to put in place baseline rules (eg, must have at least one player with a rating at each position).  If that isn't present, go nuts.  Screw as hard as you can.
4/26/2013 1:09 PM
Yeah, the commish screwed everyone if he forgot to put that rule in place. Edit away!
4/26/2013 1:17 PM
I don't like to sound like sour grapes, since I received one of the teams that was URL editted.  I'll play it, and I'll do the best I can with it. 

But to me, it's a hack of the site.  You make assumptions based on the way the site physically works, and you don't specifically make rules about people hacking the site.

I certainly know how to do this. I didn't do it because I consider it a hack. 

And that's the bottom line... You're not using the draft center, you're essentially hacking the site.  I know more about web user interfaces than most of the people on this site, and I could do 2-3 other hacks that are signficantly worse, but I consider that cheating

So in my opinion it's:
1) - Commish should have prevented this method
2) - It's still a hack, if the team can't be recreated in the draft center it's invalid.

I understand other viewpoints.  I'm expressing mine. 
4/26/2013 2:26 PM
I think it's fair.   I was surprised more people didn't do it.   I don't actually think it's the best strategy so I didn't use it.
4/26/2013 2:39 PM
awesome biglenr.. i think you've been screwed royally and the best way to screw back is to win the whole d*** thing :0 g/l
4/26/2013 3:10 PM
I agree with biglenr this is clearly cheating and jfranco77 is absolutely correct, the commish screwed everyone for not putting the rule in place, however biglenr makes another good point about creating rules against hacking the website, you'd think people would know that hacking the site itself is cheating.

Cheating is cheating, and WIS needs to fix this and any other gliches in the system, it's just wrong.
4/26/2013 4:15 PM
I don't see how this is cheating. It's been floating around the forums for years. It's a legitimate way to fill teams in progressives when sometimes you don't have someone at every position to start the season.

Is it cheating to decode who your fictitious AAA players are? The game doesn't advertise how to do this.

Is it cheating to use cookies in OL because you've done your research to know who the best values are?

There's a difference between cheating and calling someone's strategy cheap. I'll accept that drafting out of position is a nasty strategy and that some people wish it wasn't possible. I don't see how anyone can call it cheating - there are no posted rules against it.

4/26/2013 5:22 PM
Posted by mattedesa on 4/26/2013 5:22:00 PM (view original):
I don't see how this is cheating. It's been floating around the forums for years. It's a legitimate way to fill teams in progressives when sometimes you don't have someone at every position to start the season.

Is it cheating to decode who your fictitious AAA players are? The game doesn't advertise how to do this.

Is it cheating to use cookies in OL because you've done your research to know who the best values are?

There's a difference between cheating and calling someone's strategy cheap. I'll accept that drafting out of position is a nasty strategy and that some people wish it wasn't possible. I don't see how anyone can call it cheating - there are no posted rules against it.

This.

Putting players in out of position spots is an ancient art that is used in many circumstances. There are many cases where you don't have any alternative but to do this (such as in a progressive league where the position is not found on a team as noted in the above quote, clone leagues where a position isn't covered by the set of clones -- I once played in a league where *all* of my hitters were seasons of Willie Mays, etc.), and even otherwise, I frankly don't see it as being a problem...

If WIS had a problem with this, frankly, the loophole would/should have been closed a long time ago. It's been around too long, they can hardly say they're not aware of it. If you disagree with this assessment, you can submit a ticket and see what they say -- I could be wrong. Be warned that because of the situations as mentioned above, closing this loophole may **** people off and require rule changes in some progressives...

For the SYN case, I blame the commish, as has been stated. This is hardly something any experienced owner can claim ignorance of. If it's not banned... then it's allowed. I would definitely ban it if I was going to run SYN league.
4/26/2013 7:04 PM (edited)
I assumed it was allowed, it wasn't banned... It's very standard practice for SYN leagues.

That said, biglenr himself in the classified mentioned the possibility of receiving a team with only catchers...

I don't see the big deal...

Now in an OL or other league where screwing other owners over isn't the whole goal, I think it is questionqble, though I wouldn't say it is cheating. In the past I wouldn't have said that because that was the only way to draft a player with a secondary rating, but now that we can draft anybody with a rating into a position there's no real reason to, but there's also no real advantage to doing so outside of leagues like SYN, so I don't have a problem with it. I just don't see why someone would use this as there's no real advantage.
4/26/2013 8:26 PM
Posted by uncleal on 4/26/2013 7:04:00 PM (view original):

This.

Putting players in out of position spots is an ancient art that is used in many circumstances. There are many cases where you don't have any alternative but to do this (such as in a progressive league where the position is not found on a team as noted in the above quote, clone leagues where a position isn't covered by the set of clones -- I once played in a league where *all* of my hitters were seasons of Willie Mays, etc.), and even otherwise, I frankly don't see it as being a problem...

If WIS had a problem with this, frankly, the loophole would/should have been closed a long time ago. It's been around too long, they can hardly say they're not aware of it. If you disagree with this assessment, you can submit a ticket and see what they say -- I could be wrong. Be warned that because of the situations as mentioned above, closing this loophole may **** people off and require rule changes in some progressives...

For the SYN case, I blame the commish, as has been stated. This is hardly something any experienced owner can claim ignorance of. If it's not banned... then it's allowed. I would definitely ban it if I was going to run SYN league.
So how many games do I have to play before I'm considered an experienced owner, I've got over 18,500 games played so far and have never heard of this manipulation, is that even close to experience?
4/26/2013 10:13 PM
17,671 gp here, I have never heard of URL manipulation in the draft center either. WTF. It doesn't seem to be advantageous to draft a guy out of position unless in a 'screw your neighbor' type theme, but is this the only way to manipulate or are there other advantageous ways to cheat?
4/26/2013 11:14 PM
Posted by blazinrocks on 4/26/2013 10:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by uncleal on 4/26/2013 7:04:00 PM (view original):

This.

So how many games do I have to play before I'm considered an experienced owner, I've got over 18,500 games played so far and have never heard of this manipulation, is that even close to experience?
Heck, I've got more losses than that!

I'll bump the thread for you. 

i really don't think this is a big deal.
4/26/2013 11:34 PM

This manipulation was helpful before the change of secondary positions qualifying for the mandatory required draft positions when putting a team together in the draft center.

One example is in a Progressive League where I took over a team in the We Aren't Dead Yet Progressive League, WADY. The Los Angeles Platypi.

I believe for the 1973 season I had 4 players who had a fielding grade for 3B, but none that had 3B as their primary position.

At that time the draft center would not allow that team to be entered, because there was no Third Baseman.

Joe Torre had been my starting Third Baseman for the 1972 season, but for 1973 although he qualified at 3B, his primary position was 1B.

With the knowledge of this manipulation I could enter the team by manipulating any position player to fill the 3B slot.

Joe Torre

1972 St. Louis Cardinals 3B 149 637 157 11 81 71 3 64 54 .289 .357 .419 B+/D- $3.92M View
1973 St. Louis Cardinals 1B 141 596 149 13 69 67 2 78 65 .287 .376 .403 B/D- $3.44M View

1973 Joe Torre 
St. Louis Cardinals
Position(s): 1B/3B

Tito Fuentes

1972 San Francisco Giants 2B 152 663 151 7 53 64 16 56 39 .264 .310 .379 D+/B- $3.78M View
1973 San Francisco Giants 2B 160 731 182 6 63 78 12 62 45 .277 .328 .358 A/B+ $5.93M View

1973 Tito Fuentes 
San Francisco Giants
Position(s): 2B/3B

Hal McRae

1972 Cincinnati Reds OF 61 111 27 5 26 9 0 10 2 .278 .295 .474 C/D- $560K View
1973 Kansas City Royals OF 106 382 79 9 50 36 2 38 34 .234 .312 .385 D+/D- $1.70M View

1973 Hal McRae 
Kansas City Royals
Position(s): OF/3B

Gene Alley

1972 Pittsburgh Pirates SS 119 407 86 3 36 30 4 52 38 .248 .321 .320 B/C- $2.17M View
1973 Pittsburgh Pirates SS 76 181 32 2 8 25 1 28 20 .203 .292 .285 A/D- $663K View

1973 Gene Alley 
Pittsburgh Pirates
Position(s): SS/3B

4/28/2013 4:29 AM (edited)
12 Next ▸
Opinion.. Editting URL in draft center Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.