Most Overrated Players of All Time Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Jack Morris

Jim Rice
6/18/2013 9:47 AM
Reggie Jackson
6/18/2013 9:53 AM
bert blylevin
6/18/2013 12:48 PM
Coach John Madden
6/18/2013 1:52 PM
As a college student in the late 90's, I remember getting the Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract--a treasure trove of anecdotes, thoughts, and the first work that introduced me to something other than conventional baseball thinking. I may be remembering wrong, but I think at one point he was discussing secondary average, a measure of walks and extra base hits, and how, although George Sisler was very good at doing one thing (hitting singles), he wasn't good at doing anything else. So to those that still use Batting Average as the primary measurement (and there are far too many still out there today), he is a god. But that's all he brought to the table.
6/18/2013 1:57 PM
A lot of teams would LOVE to have a guy that hits 220 singles a year.

I always thought Ryne Sandberg was overrated.  OPS was 100+ better in Wrigley.  Road OPS of .738 basically means he was Placido Polanco or Robby Thompson whenever he didn't play at Wrigley.
6/18/2013 2:09 PM
if you throw in his broadcasting skill - joe morgan/ doesnt do well in the sim either
6/18/2013 3:10 PM
If someone says Ozzie Smith is the greatest SS of all time, they're overrating him.
6/18/2013 6:22 PM
Posted by boogerlips on 6/18/2013 5:34:00 PM (view original):

I don't think some of the predictable anwers like Blylevin, Moris, and Rice are that overrated, because they are predictable. I think the overall perception of those players is about right. Very few people argue that Nolan Ryan and Cal Ripken Jr are overrated, which is a good indicator that they might be.

I suppose my thinking was that there is such a great divide in the perceptions people have of guys like Morris and Rice, old school thinking versus new school (sabermetric) thinking. So, I guess your point is valid, then, that, on average, they are viewed about right. 

But they are not viewed correctly by the people doing the HOF voting...When Morris gets 6% of the vote (in 2013), and an arguably better pitcher in Kevin Brown only gets 2% of the vote in his only year on the ballot, either Morris is glaringly overrated by many, Brown glaringly underrated by many, or both.
6/18/2013 7:05 PM
if we are talking about this site,, Live Alex Rodriguez is atrocious, would be interested how good he is on the non live side
6/18/2013 10:27 PM
Posted by micki on 6/18/2013 12:48:00 PM (view original):
bert blylevin
Curious what the explanation is here.  #5 alltime in K's and it took him 15 years to make it into the Hall.
6/18/2013 10:37 PM
Posted by truemen on 6/18/2013 1:52:00 PM (view original):
Coach John Madden
In baseball, we call them managers.

6/18/2013 10:38 PM
123456 Next ▸
Most Overrated Players of All Time Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.