Very slow filling leagues Topic

I believe the Frenchie film theorists call it cinéma vérité.
7/30/2013 10:02 AM
Right idea.... Not quite the right venue though

We need a WIS Reality Show. 

The pitch to the execs at Fox
WIS: "It's a reality show about fantasy".
Exec: "You mean like Victoria's Secret models in their real life?  We can do that"
WIS: "No, the fantasy is about baseball players"
Exec: "OK, we can work with that... hot women telling their real life fantasies about baseball players.  Might have to put it on Lifetime, though...or Spike TV if the women are hot enough."
WIS "No, it's about baseball players playing each other"
Exec "Not in a gay way, I hope?  The viewers aren't ready for that..."
WIS "No, in simulated games"
Exec "We already have a game of the week, we don't need more"
WIS "No, this is about the people who create the teams of baseball players"
Exec: "OHHHHH!  Like "the Osbornes" but using the Steinbrenner family!  I like it"
WIS:  "Not exactly.  It's real, everyday, people who pick the players on each team"
Exec:  "Are the real everyday people hot women?"
WIS:  "On this site?  No, I think a "Y" chromosone is required to visit the site.  I'm pretty sure that most of the guys on this site identify with at least one of the characters on "Big Bang Theory""
Exec:  "well....."
WIS:  "But the real people who do the best understand baseball history, math, statistics, probability, and normalizaton"
Exec" "We'll call you.  Don't call us.  Actually, delete my number out of your phone history now.  Enjoy the tour of the facility as the security guard drags you out"
7/30/2013 3:28 PM
LOL. you guys ARE a bunch of losers.
7/31/2013 11:55 AM
7/31/2013 12:33 PM
As a newbie, My team is struggling and I can't figure out what the sim is doing....the first four hitters in my lineup are WAY below their real stats (after 40 games), so the team rarely scores more than 1-2 runs.....as for the pitching , one game my pitcher does well and then the very next game against the same team, I have an even better pitcher starting and he gets BOMBED...it makes no sense....
7/31/2013 9:02 PM
As a newbie, My team is struggling and I can't figure out what the sim is doing....the first four hitters in my lineup are WAY below their real stats (after 40 games), so the team rarely scores more than 1-2 runs.....as for the pitching , one game my pitcher does well and then the very next game against the same team, I have an even better pitcher starting and he gets BOMBED...it makes no sense....
7/31/2013 9:03 PM
Beachbum...
- At $80m, you're playing a team of all star level.  You can expect 90% of all players to perform at signficantly worse than their real life stats.  Think about it... If George Sisler had to bat against Greg Maddux, Addie Joss, and Walter Johnson every game, do you think he'd hit .400?  Similarly, if they're pitching against a team of all .320 hitters, would you expect Greg Maddux to have a WHIP below 1.0?  If you want real life stats, find a $60m league, they're pretty darn close.
- Are you looking at the right stats?  RBI's, Wins, Losses, and ERA are essentially meaningless in the sim.  For hitters look at players with good batting average and nice OBP.  Your players will not hit many HR's in open leagues (consider how many deadball pitchers they face).  For pitchers, look for WHIP. 
- Understand normalization...  Hitters from good pitching years (say 1908 or 1968) will do better that a hitter with the same stats from a good hitting year (say 1930 or 1998).  Reverse works for pitchers.
8/1/2013 9:25 AM
One reason for the drop-off may be that, especially in Open Leagues, WIS' artificial weakening of good pitching has caused it to become a kids' carnival.
8/1/2013 2:03 PM
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 8/1/2013 2:03:00 PM (view original):
One reason for the drop-off may be that, especially in Open Leagues, WIS' artificial weakening of good pitching has caused it to become a kids' carnival.
Please, don't present this as a fact.  If you have a theory, spit it out.  Show the math.  Show me what happens when a pitcher with a .200 OAV throws to a a hitter with a .330 batting average... They meet near the middle.  The .330 hitter gets a .265 average, the pitcher has a .265 OAV.  Adjusted for normalization and the 55/45 documented bias for pitching, and the randomness involved with small samples (and anything under 10,000 PA is a small sample)
8/1/2013 2:10 PM
Not talking about normalization, Len.

I'm talking about how WIS staff arbitrarily boosted batting over pitching, perhaps especially against the best pitchers. They admitted to it at the time (what, 6 or 7 years ago?) and since, as well.

They distorted the normalization you're speaking of, for players [customers, a few] whining that Mickey Mantle was getting whooped by Greg Maddux.
8/1/2013 6:51 PM
They could have done all the adjusting necessary via salaries, to make the top, top pitchers a wee bit more expensive if necessary, but they chose to bend apparently, to unlimited league fans who wanted to see their cool, Hall of Fame hitters hit....
8/1/2013 6:56 PM
i see this is where the smart people hang out

whynt you f*ckers find a new hefty blonde you can splay

say this one http://www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx?gid=20572929&pid=1&pbp=0&tf=10

it's free and it needs some science
8/1/2013 7:11 PM
Posted by ArlenWilliam on 8/1/2013 6:53:00 PM (view original):
Not talking about normalization, Len.

I'm talking about how WIS staff arbitrarily boosted batting over pitching, perhaps especially against the best pitchers. They admitted to it at the time (what, 6 or 7 years ago?) and since, as well.

They distorted the normalization you're speaking of, for players [customers, a few] whining that Mickey Mantle was getting whooped by Greg Maddux.
Are you referring to win they reduced salaries across the board? The net effect was that it allowed teams to draft better offenses, and thus pitching has been hit harder than before that point in time (much like how at $255m even the best of the best have OAV over .300 and ERA over 5.00). I don't remember the specifics of the pricing adjustment, other than not being a fan of it at the time, but I do also seem to recall that the adjustment also reduced hitter salaries on average more than pitcher salaries, increasing the effect of offense compared to what we had prior to that point in time. 

Other than that, I don't recall any adjustments that systematically had any effect on the pitching/hitting outcomes such as you refer to...
8/1/2013 9:40 PM
What happen'd 2 the "slow-fill'n-leagues" aspect of this thread ???

*poof*

Resolved, eye guess... 

Seriously ???... This "head-bang'n" about who's smart, & who ain't,
ain't doing "skwat" 2 fill any leagues, any faster...

Seriously, think-tanks can spawn ideas... Slothness is insidious, &
nobody can play this game from the grave... Are we really stuck with
slow-filling leagues until then ???

Go back 2 the marketing, & all the braniac's who dream-up "theme"
ideas, need 2 start using the other 90%, ---& 'create' leagues that'll
act like a magnet, & change some fortunes, on these web-pages...

Eye just wonder, sometimes... Don't we all...

8/1/2013 10:18 PM
JUGGALOSTEVE?
8/2/2013 12:42 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Very slow filling leagues Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.