Newbie low budget team questions Topic

More newbie questions. And THANKS to all who answered my first round of questions....I learned a lot...

My second team is going to be in a league with a limited budget of 60 million with 6/2 below average AAA. No to WW, trades, clones, DH.

1. what's the best strategy to follow in building a team on a limited budget?
2. Will the below average AAA players contribute at all, or will they just provide PA and IP as filler? What regular player salary range are they comparable to?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to share your knowledge/thoughts.
8/18/2013 1:17 PM
Here are some of my own newbie thoughts...what do you think?

1. On the pitching side, going with 5 starters in the 200 Innings range, two relievers in the 115 innings range, and a closer.
For all 8 of these, use whips in 1.3 range, except even go to 1.4 if the guy keeps the ball in the park (HR/9 around .5). Is it smart to sacrifice some on the whip to get the lower HR/?

2. The nineth staff guy would be a basic low salary stiff to serve as mop up...That should get me to about 1350-1400 innings total.
Do I need to draft another decent reliever or will the AAA guys be effective enough?

3. For the hitters...concentrate on defense at second, third, short, and CF...butvtgecquestion I have is: in a low budget league like this should I settle for B fielders at these positions for the sake of better offense?

4. At LF,RF, and 1B, worry little about defense...what I'm thinking about for offense at these positions is a platoon....since I can't afford one high budget player at these positions concentrate at two guys at each position with 350 PA who are darn good in their use and then platooning them on a "vs. lefty-righty" basis...

What do u think???
8/18/2013 2:24 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I think I'll answer just because it's fun to annoy boogerlips. at low caps you want efficient cost per PA and IP. sometimes you just take what's available instead of following a blueprint. some people plan around having a couple worthless AAA but not me,  I use AAA to the max no matter how bad they are, it allows me to get by with fewer PA and so I can draft better hitters.
8/18/2013 3:11 PM
Geez boogerlips...I did give MY strategy thoughts...just was asking what others thought of them....EXCUSSSSSE ME!!!!
8/18/2013 3:17 PM
Posted by beachbum3494 on 8/18/2013 3:17:00 PM (view original):
Geez boogerlips...I did give MY strategy thoughts...just was asking what others thought of them....EXCUSSSSSE ME!!!!
b
8/18/2013 3:34 PM
Posted by tribe_fan_09 on 8/18/2013 2:24:00 PM (view original):
Here are some of my own newbie thoughts...what do you think?

1. On the pitching side, going with 5 starters in the 200 Innings range, two relievers in the 115 innings range, and a closer.
For all 8 of these, use whips in 1.3 range, except even go to 1.4 if the guy keeps the ball in the park (HR/9 around .5). Is it smart to sacrifice some on the whip to get the lower HR/?

2. The nineth staff guy would be a basic low salary stiff to serve as mop up...That should get me to about 1350-1400 innings total.
Do I need to draft another decent reliever or will the AAA guys be effective enough?

3. For the hitters...concentrate on defense at second, third, short, and CF...butvtgecquestion I have is: in a low budget league like this should I settle for B fielders at these positions for the sake of better offense?

4. At LF,RF, and 1B, worry little about defense...what I'm thinking about for offense at these positions is a platoon....since I can't afford one high budget player at these positions concentrate at two guys at each position with 350 PA who are darn good in their use and then platooning them on a "vs. lefty-righty" basis...

What do u think???
b
8/18/2013 3:34 PM
Some thoughts:

1. Don't pay attention to boogerlips. The high point of his contributions to these forums are the cute cat pictures he posts.
2. It really doesn't matter how you divide the innings. Part of the fun for me is running teams with no real starters or only four pitchers, cheap like that.
3. You don't need 1300+ innings.
4. All 1.30 whips aren't th same , read up on normalization.
5. Defense is priced reasonably accurate l y, you get what you pay for. I like to have good defense but plenty of guys are successful playing d rated its.
6. Platooning is a good idea. It's cost effective.
7. The aaa guys will be effective.
8/19/2013 6:32 PM
i pay close attention to the $/PA and $/IP numbers, as well. search always for bargains.
8/19/2013 6:42 PM
GOOD 2 C U back here, pfatt-katt...
8/19/2013 7:50 PM
Where do u find the $/PA and $/IP numbers?...I've looked everywhere but can't find them.
8/19/2013 10:29 PM
Set the search engine to reveal them.
8/19/2013 10:38 PM
I can't figure out how to do that....I assume u r talking about the draft center, but I can't figure out how to change it so it will reveal them
8/20/2013 12:05 AM
Never mind...I finally figured it out..thanks
8/20/2013 12:11 AM
12 Next ▸
Newbie low budget team questions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.