I thought this would be a fun thread to start...

What is your pet peeve, as far as Sim league baseball is concerned?  You can list things related to the game itself, the people who play the game or anything else you can think of. 
10/16/2013 10:34 AM
My biggest pet peeve are owners who disappear without a trace, when they know they are supposed to be entereing a team into a league, or they are supposed to be drafting.

Sure, it might be a little inconvenient to the rest of the league when somebody says they are out of town for a week and can't start drafting yet.  I can live with that.  But to simply go AWOL without the courtesy to spend 30 seconds to send a quick site-mail explaining the situation.  It really puts a commissioner in a tough spot.  Do I wait?  If so, how long?  Do I find a replacement?  What if find a replacement for a draft and then the guy comes back, complaining that he wants in?

Just drop a quick note, and prevent all the headaches.  It's basic courtesy.
10/16/2013 10:40 AM
That space of time, usually around a week, between the second last owner entering his team and the last owner entering his.  To add salt to the peeve, that last owner rarely apologizes for, or even acknowledges, his tardiness. 

Call it "24th Owner Syndrome."
10/16/2013 10:45 AM
I'm less interested in enumerating my pet peeves with the game itself...feels like we've had many of those threads...but continuing on the topic of "bad owner behavior" here's a couple of mine:

-- Theme league commissioners who do not take the time to verify that every roster complies with their rules
-- Prog owners who interpret "first round of the draft is off the clock" to mean "it's ok if I take 3 days to make my pick and hold everyone else up"
-- Anyone who rails about "streakiness," "unrealistic outcomes," or "playoff upsets" when they clearly have no understanding of (a) the SIM algorithm (b) what "random" really means (c) how often things like that happen in actual MLB (d) why you can't expect an 80M cap league (or 100M, or 120M, etc) to look like a real MLB season.
10/16/2013 11:27 AM
People who complain about Joss, switch-hitting speedsters, and cookie OL teams, and then continue to play only OLs and complain.  Play a progressive league.  Play a theme league with player restrictions.  Do something else, just stop complaining about Joss and then only playing OLs.  It's very easy to play in fun, competitive leagues on this site and NEVER face Addie Joss again, or never see another Dilone, Bip, Raines, HoJo, Carter, etc. cookie team.
10/16/2013 11:49 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by pinotfan on 10/16/2013 1:27:00 PM (view original):
One little peeve regarding rest/fatigue.  You should get rest in the playoffs if your team wins and the other series is still ongoing.  If there's a play-in game, all playoff teams not in playoffs should get a day's rest; if you sweep and the other series goes the distance, you should get 2-3 days' rest.  Seems simple enough.
You do get rest in the playoffs if your team wins in the playoffs and the other series is ongoing.  This is a common misconception, but the WIS FAQ in the knowledge base is very clear on this.  You do not, however, get rest if both of you win in the same amount of games, even if that number of games is fewer than the maximum.

For example, if you win the LDS 3-0 and your next opponent wins 3-2, your players get 2 extra days of rest.
If you both win 3-0, you do not get any additional rest, even though (in theory) both teams should have 2 days off before the next series begins.
10/16/2013 2:02 PM
Posted by schwarze on 10/16/2013 10:41:00 AM (view original):
My biggest pet peeve are owners who disappear without a trace, when they know they are supposed to be entereing a team into a league, or they are supposed to be drafting.

Sure, it might be a little inconvenient to the rest of the league when somebody says they are out of town for a week and can't start drafting yet.  I can live with that.  But to simply go AWOL without the courtesy to spend 30 seconds to send a quick site-mail explaining the situation.  It really puts a commissioner in a tough spot.  Do I wait?  If so, how long?  Do I find a replacement?  What if find a replacement for a draft and then the guy comes back, complaining that he wants in?

Just drop a quick note, and prevent all the headaches.  It's basic courtesy.
this actually happens?  
10/16/2013 2:12 PM
1) World Series loser in a 12 team league progressive  should go to the TOC.
2) Guys who respond to the classifieds with questions or comments about a league who have no intention of joining the league.
3) Owners who post negative stuff on the league message board instead of site mailing the commish first, or at least site mail an owner that you respect and get his input.
4) Owners who complain about a rule they don't like and go on & on about at every opportunity.
 5) The ones who complain about the open leagues and say WIS has done nothing.  This isn't true,  WIS did create the Championship Open league but no one ever joins.
10/16/2013 11:37 PM
Posted by contrarian23 on 10/16/2013 2:02:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pinotfan on 10/16/2013 1:27:00 PM (view original):
One little peeve regarding rest/fatigue.  You should get rest in the playoffs if your team wins and the other series is still ongoing.  If there's a play-in game, all playoff teams not in playoffs should get a day's rest; if you sweep and the other series goes the distance, you should get 2-3 days' rest.  Seems simple enough.
You do get rest in the playoffs if your team wins in the playoffs and the other series is ongoing.  This is a common misconception, but the WIS FAQ in the knowledge base is very clear on this.  You do not, however, get rest if both of you win in the same amount of games, even if that number of games is fewer than the maximum.

For example, if you win the LDS 3-0 and your next opponent wins 3-2, your players get 2 extra days of rest.
If you both win 3-0, you do not get any additional rest, even though (in theory) both teams should have 2 days off before the next series begins.
OK, we can test this right now.  I've won my playoff series, and my future opponent is going to a game 7.  Christy Mathewson is at 85(100).  If I check after the PM1 game tomorrow and Christy is at 100%, I will issue a public apology to WIS! 
10/17/2013 2:42 AM
Your added rest may not show up until the next series is scheduled.  I will be shocked if Mathewson is not at 100% for Game 1 of your next series, but if I am wrong, I too will acknowledge this.
10/17/2013 7:37 AM
12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.